PDA

View Full Version : problem reinstalling xp

05caddyext
01-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Ive been trying to reinstall a clean copy of xp sp2 on my hp computer. I get to the screen where it starts to format the C: and it freezes up. If I choose the "quick" format it immediately goes to 20% and never goes past that. Then I try the longer version, gets to 100% and then never does anything else, for hours. I have found extensive articles on this, wondering what to do. I do have a different graphics card installed in my pci slot, should I try removing this and reinstalling it later? Also my computer came with 2gb ram, I installed 2 more, should I remove the extra ram? I am not using hp recovery disks, im using a xp cd. I am getting very frustrated with this computer, and seem to be in way over my head. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

FoxStang
01-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Pulling the vid card shouldn't make a difference, the RAM might, but only if its corrupted or not the right clock speed, but most likely that won't make a difference either. Are you just having problems with the formatter for Windows, or is the xp installer not working either? IMO gparted is a much better tool for formatting, if that's what you need to do, download it and create a bootable image and use that to format and create your partitions, etc. Then just use the xp cd to install.

animal
01-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Its usually pretty straightforward. Assuming you have a semi newer computer ... first check the bios setup for the disk controller. Make sure it's in compatibility mode instead of AHCI. XP setup seems to hate AHCI in my experience. Aside from that, something like you describe I would want to try another known-good hard disk first to make sure it wasn't a bad disk. If it's not the disk, then it will exhibit the same problem. Then I'd be suspecting the hard disk controller. Also, make sure your xp disk isn't scratched.

xxsn0blindxx
01-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Since your issues so far have been during the format portion, I would start with a hard drive test. Find out the manufacturer of your drive and go to their website to get a bootable diagnostics CD (free iso). To eliminate faulty RAM, remove one pair and try to install, if it fails, then remove that pair and install the previously removed pair. It would be unusual to have more than one bad stick of RAM so if the problem occurs on both pairs installed separately you know it isn't RAM. It could be possible that your optical drive is being flakey and not reading your setup disk properly. There isn't a real good way to test that other than to put the drive in a different system and run a CD-Rom test or to put a known good drive in the problem system.

05caddyext
01-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Found an article last night that said it might be trying to create space that isn't there, which it appeared to be doing. I set the partition to a smaller size and let it sit over night, and now its installing. Thanks for help. This stuff is way beyond me, I hate computers.

05caddyext
01-17-2011, 12:54 PM
computer still painfully slow after clean install of xp. took 2 hours to run windows update for 2 updates, both very small, not service packs or antyhing. is this a hardware issue? How do I test the processors? (dual core) should I just junk the thing? Its already 5 years old. Takes about 15 minutes for computer to start up, and nothing is running except bare-bones xp.
Think its time to junk it.

for specs its a HP A1630n.

xxsn0blindxx
01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
If this is computer previously had XP installed on it then that doesn't make sense. In fact I've installed XP on literally hundreds of different computers and don't recall ever seeing that happen, so it seems pretty unusual. I would highly recommend running a manufacturer's hard drive diagnostics test. There's a possibility that the drive has bad sectors and by not using the entire hard drive you are just avoiding the bad spots. This will usually lead to more problems down the road.

05caddyext
01-18-2011, 10:02 PM
now i get the stupid blue screen at the beginning of windows. it starts up in safe mode just fine, wont start up in regular xp, just get a blue screen with a cursor on it. im so frustrated im just going to throw it in the trash and get a new pc.

animal
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
throw it in the trash and get a new pc.

Good call.

FoxStang
01-18-2011, 11:40 PM
now i get the stupid blue screen at the beginning of windows. it starts up in safe mode just fine, wont start up in regular xp, just get a blue screen with a cursor on it. im so frustrated im just going to throw it in the trash and get a new pc.

Recover a dump file and read it with windows debugger, it will tell you the cause of the crash. Since it works fine in safe mode its pointing to a driver problem on top of whatever hd issue you may have.

xxsn0blindxx
01-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Did it blue screen right after the setup completed and booted into Windows the first time? If not what was the last thing (or things) you installed before it started blue screening on boot-up? Try uninstalling those items from safe mode.

I don't mind helping you troubleshoot, I'll even fix it for a modest fee plus the cost of any parts that might be needed. If you're just done with the machine don't throw it away, I'll take it.

05caddyext
01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
it went to the blue screen right after windows started. never was able to actually get into windows at all. I didn't install anything, never got the chance. I think ill try a new hd first, is that just plug and play? It asks if I want to install a RAID driver, no clue what any of this stuff is. Im just so frustrated with it, but at the same time im very stubborn and have this need to get it fixed to say I did it.

xxsn0blindxx
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
The fact that you were able to see the drive and install Windows means you don't need a RAID controller driver. Before you replace the drive, check it to see the manufqcturer and then go to their site to get a diagnostic CD. Seagate and Western Digital are the most common brands and they have good utilities you download and burn a bootable CD to test the drive. If the drive is ok then you will want to try swapping the RAM around like I mentioned earlier. You only need 1 pair to run the system and it isn't likely that more than 1 stick is bad. If memory and hard drive check out ok, that leaves the CPU, motherboard or power supply. Unfortunately at this point all you can do is swap parts. The CPU is the least likely component to fail statistically. And the power supply is the easiest to swap. If you have a spare power supply hook it up temporarily. If that doesn't work, you can try swapping CPUs, but you most likely have a defective motherboard.

05caddyext
01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
I tried to use the boot disk for my hard-drive checker program, didn't work. So I just went and bought a new hard-drive and tried it. That was the problem for sure, seems to work just fine so far. fingers crossed that it installs well or i just threw away another $60. thanks for the help.

xxsn0blindxx
01-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Glad you got it figured out. I had a feeling that's what it would be when you couldn't install using the whole drive.

05caddyext
01-20-2011, 08:23 AM
what are the advantages/disadvantages to installing SP3. My friend who knows a hell of a lot more about computers than I do said not to install it. Always has caused a ton of problems with things not working like printers and memory card readers etc. Should I install it or not?

05caddyext
01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
only problem I have now is that the sound doesnt work. Says I can't install my sound drivers because I don't have UAA High Def Audio from Microsoft. Can't find anywhere to download that. Ugh. One thing after another.

03CVLX
01-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Did you update windows update to become Microsoft update. Once you do that you will sometimes see optional updates for some hardware devices available for download. Can't promise you it will be there but may be worth a shot.

05caddyext
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
yeah I ran windows update several times and nothing came up for audio. Computer also shows an error with my video card on the pci slot, but its working fine so im not sure what thats about either. Oh well, im sure ill get it to work eventually. can't really screw anything up worse than it was, if all else fails i will just reinstall windows again.

animal
01-20-2011, 09:50 AM
only problem I have now is that the sound doesnt work. Says I can't install my sound drivers because I don't have UAA High Def Audio from Microsoft. Can't find anywhere to download that. Ugh. One thing after another.

You want the kb888111 update from MS for the UAA hi def audio.

Better yet, you should have your brainiac friend :alcoholic do this seeing as he told you not to install sp3, which this HD audio update would have been included on ;)

03CVLX
01-20-2011, 09:53 AM
No I meant upgrading Windows update to Microsoft update.. Im trying to remember where the option is on XP as its been awhile. I think it is down below the spot you click to check for updates. It will say something like include updates for other microsoft software and hardware. Upgrade to microsoft update now.

05caddyext
01-20-2011, 09:59 AM
I just installed sp3 and now I cant see my monitor. its on, and I can hear windows worked in the background, but nothing is on the monitor. WTF>

FoxStang
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I just installed sp3 and now I cant see my monitor. its on, and I can hear windows worked in the background, but nothing is on the monitor. WTF>
Restart in safe mode an install the proper video card driver.

xxsn0blindxx
01-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Restart in safe mode an install the proper video card driver.

This, or delete the current video card driver in safe mode and reboot to normal mode to install the correct driver.