PDA

View Full Version : Question about plasma TVs

Mr Twigbert
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I just invested in 2 new Plasma TVs (50' Panasonic and a 58' Samsung). Short story even shorter, I got a killer deal on the 50' and liked it so much that I had to get another for the basement.

However, after research I have been reading about 'burn in' with Plasmas. My question is, has anyone had any problems with their plasmas while playing gaming systems like Wii? All TV shows/movies change the screen but video games (like bowling) tend to keep the same screen while playing for a while. Sounds like burn in can set in in as little as 20 minutes.

Thoughts?

Karps TA
01-14-2011, 10:29 AM
My dad watches CNBC like 8 hours a day with the ticker on the bottom and has no burn in. He's had his for almost 3 years now.

Most plasma's built within the last couple years have protection from this. It was more an issue when plasma's first came out.

MoCkiN U
01-14-2011, 10:31 AM
havent had issues with my samsung yet. We got it later in the fall last year. I used to play games alot more now than I do but even then I havent had an issue.

I am not sure about permanent BUT say I leave the channel screen up at the bottom of the tv where it says what stations playing and such, that big blue banner at bottom. If I turn the tv off with that there when I turn it back on and wait for a channel to come in if its a black screen i see an outline of that box BUT when the channel or pictures flashes on its gone right away.

Nothing permanent yet.

animal
01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I know someone that has qvc on about 16-18 hours a day and there is burn in. FWIW though I think it takes a LONG time to burn in and this is also an older plasma... like a 2005-06 model.

badass88gt
01-14-2011, 11:09 AM
No issues at all here, 42" Panasonic plasma.

BoosTT
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Its rare and if it does occur, its so minor and old already that it doesen't matter. Most newer tv sets move the picture around very slightly to prevent hard burn in lines.

Nix
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Like stated above the newer plasmas (within the past 5yrs or so) do not have that issues like the older models.

I have a 3yr old 50in plasma in the living room and every once in a great while we will get ghost images but they always go away.

In order to get burn in you would seriously need to keep it on for hours upon hours.

You will be fine and you will be happy with them I'm sure.

Ricky Bobby
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM
i have seen it at work a few times, guys wife watched cnbc for many hours aday, also one of my boss' played some game for like a month straight burned in, has seen this all in the last 3-4months tvs are about 1.5yrs old so it does still happen, have also seen it on a lcd

885.0stang
01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
in reality it can burn into any type of ( i have/ had one of every type) tv / computer screen wheather its lcd, plasma, projection, dlp, tube what ever. its all a matter of how long the exposure is. some take longer then others but for the most part like stated the actual picture moves a small fraction to prevent this from happening. think about when you are watching a tv show and there is that little display in the bottom corner about whats coming up next or a special that airs that evening its there the entire time however faint its still there. you shouldnt worry about anything

03CVLX
01-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow, how the hell are you getting a 50 and 58 foot Plasma tv thru your front door. :devil :rolf

Sorry, Seann... I had too. :goof

BigSnailBuick
01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
I have a 60" LG plasma. I have seen 1 burn in and it went away after i shut the tv off for 1 min. You basically can leave the tv on as long as you want. Its only bad when its on a still image. The burn I got was of a netflix screen that just sat there for the entire night. But as I said once I shut the tv off once it went away.

VroomPshhTsi
01-14-2011, 06:06 PM
2 year old 42" Samsung Plasma.
Never had any issues with burn in.
TV is on roughly 5 hours/day.

Russ Jerome
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Researched for months before buying Plasma, non-issue stired up buy owners of non-plasma's who are envious of your SUPERIOR Plasma picture ;)

The Plasma tv sucks up power, most expensive tv to own and thats why they are going away to LED's. If I was finacialy stable I would an extra or two while the prices are down, paid a couple grand for my first 42" plasma :(

Gregor
01-15-2011, 12:21 AM
After a week or so of research I have found that Plasmas are a great way to get a great picture for little money.

The older plasmas had a burning-in image problem, The newer sets it takes longer to burn in a image and a few hours for it to fade away. Power usage all though is not as bad as the older sets still is more than a LED or LCD. But now most are energy star rated, so that helps. And they generate a bit more heat.

DynoTom
01-15-2011, 12:32 AM
I have a 52 inch Plasma TV and I LOVE IT !

It's only a couple months old and I really like the picture much more than the LED / LCD TV's I looked at....

Over Xmas Boss and 4I Notch were over at my house playing Madden Football on the plasma for about 5 hours or so and I did not see any burn in....

floaters
01-15-2011, 12:51 AM
i know samsung tvs have pixel shift, which shifts the pixels every minute the same image is on the screen. also if you have burn in, i have heard a way to fix it is by putting a white screen on the tv for an hour or so and that will clear all images out, not sure about the truth to this.

Mr Twigbert
01-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks every one.. I feel better now..

Silver86
01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
now to thread jack.. :devil

the bulb in our DLP is starting to go and it might just be more cost effective if we sold the tv and bough a flat pannel.

now ive been reading about plasmas and their picture quality and im impressed. my only worry is their life expectancy and color over time fading.

we had bought the DLP with the plan of keeping it over a long period of time... now that the warrenty has expired, 4 bulbs and the actual light engines been replaced i dont want to buy another tv and expect something like this to happen again. for example, i buy the tv and a week later plasmas are discontinued and LED LCDs become super affordable. (happened when we bought out DLP)

i see a lot of praise for the plasma in this thread and i plan on going to take a look at a few on my next day off. anyone know of a site off hand that has a good comparison of the different formats?

oh... also... a lot of the plasmas that im looking at are listed at 600hz... is this correct? or just a typo of 60hz?

Karps TA
01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
the Hz refresh rate doesn't apply to Plasmas. They just throw that number out there for advertising reasons.

hrsp
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a 58" samsung Plasma...maybe 6 months old...anyhow the only thing i really watch is espn and the scroll hasnt "burnt in" there is some slight Ghosting when on all day and night..but new models have pixel shifts and other things to prevent any permanent damage...also i know on mine i have a scroll that i can put on and it goes from right to left and clears up any ghosting and if you did get any burn in from leaving the tv on for 5 days straight with an image that doesnt refresh this will get rid of that as well...

badass88gt
01-26-2011, 12:05 PM
the Hz refresh rate doesn't apply to Plasmas. They just throw that number out there for advertising reasons.

Correct. Plasmas have an instantaneous refresh rate. That is why you dont get the blur that LCD offers.