PDA

View Full Version : 5.0L mustang

honda
07-31-2004, 06:39 PM
is it possible to swap
1) 03 cobra S/C 390hp engine in to 90-93 5.0 mustang?
2) or in to 94-99 V8 model
3) 99+ v6 models

thanks

scubastang
07-31-2004, 06:45 PM
is it possible to swap
1) 03 cobra S/C 390hp engine in to 90-93 5.0 mustang?
2) or in to 94-99 V8 model
3) 99+ v6 models

thanks

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes

honda
07-31-2004, 06:46 PM
1) yes
2) yes
3) yes

how hard are those swaps?
do you heve a good web-site where people do it with pictures and more

thank you

scubastang
07-31-2004, 06:48 PM
how hard are those swaps?
do you heve a good web-site where people do it with pictures and more

thank you

lol well what exactly are you asking? YOu need to clarify a bit. Are you talking about swapping a 03 cobra engine into all of the aforementioned cars, or a 03 cobra into a 90-93 and a 5.0L into the 94-98v8/99+v6

honda
07-31-2004, 06:54 PM
lol well what exactly are you asking? YOu need to clarify a bit. Are you talking about swapping a 03 cobra engine into all of the aforementioned cars, or a 03 cobra into a 90-93 and a 5.0L into the 94-98v8/99+v6

ok, i will be buying a mustang

so i want to know in which one i can swap 4.6 s/c cobra engine and tranny
i think that its a good engine and with some upgrades 500whp should not be a problem
so if i buy 92 5.0L dose cobra s/c engine swap easy and what about rear end would it fit from 03 cobra?

thanks

JC70SS
07-31-2004, 07:04 PM
Your best bet would be into a 89-93 because they are an overall lighter vehicle.

scubastang
07-31-2004, 07:11 PM
ok, i will be buying a mustang

so i want to know in which one i can swap 4.6 s/c cobra engine and tranny
i think that its a good engine and with some upgrades 500whp should not be a problem
so if i buy 92 5.0L dose cobra s/c engine swap easy and what about rear end would it fit from 03 cobra?

thanks

no offense but judging from your comments a swap of a 03 cobra into a fox is a little over your head. I would try and do a lot of research on mustangs before you buy the appropriate one. Research what you goals will be and formulate a plan (all the while researching!).

A 03 Cobra uses IRS, not a live axle like a fox body does. Generally 03 Cobra complete engines cost around 12K, pretty spendy and not really worth it to swap into a fox unless you want to be unique, make big HP or have lots of $$. Its a pretty indepth swap that would take a lot of work. Plus you'll need a tranny swap as the ol t-5 wont handle 400 rwhp.

If your looking at making hp in a fox, just buy that 92, fab or buy a turbo kit with the supporting fuel and ignition etc support and go from there. You'll spend 1/2 of just the 03 cobra motor alone and make more power.

The 03 cobra motor is a solid piece, but the supercharger is a very very inefficient design and not the best to work with

hope this helps

honda
07-31-2004, 07:21 PM
motor and tranny from cobra s/c is not a problem to get and i would not get it brand new
but if it bolts right on the fox body i would do it

what is the best web-site about mustangs?

thanks for help

scubastang
07-31-2004, 07:56 PM
motor and tranny from cobra s/c is not a problem to get and i would not get it brand new
but if it bolts right on the fox body i would do it

what is the best web-site about mustangs?

thanks for help

lol what do you mean by its not a problem? You make this sound like its a clear cut decision even though you obviously know nothing about mustangs :wtf . Like I said before, you will pay for a complete 03 cobra motor w/accessories/electrconics 10K+, plus its t56 tranny is another 2-4K. Thats even before any fuel/swap/electical parts/mods. Then factor in the price of a descent fox is 5K, plus the suppporting mods to handle this new power. So unless you have 17-20K+ to spend in cash to do it right, lets not beat around the bush. Like I said before, there are plenty of ways to make much more power than the 03cobra motor/drivetrain for far less money. No its not a direct bolt in, as you have to buy aftermarket kmember, redo the brake systems, incorporate the mod motor harness/computer or go with a stand alone - these are just a start to many mods you must make.

Mustang sites:

http://www.corral.net
http://www.modularfox.com (mod motors into foxes)
http://www.turbomustangs.com
http://www.kar

honda
07-31-2004, 08:03 PM
lol what do you mean by its not a problem? You make this sound like its a clear cut decision even though you obviously know nothing about mustangs :wtf . Like I said before, you will pay for a complete 03 cobra motor w/accessories = electrconics 10K+, plus its t56 tranny is another 2-4K. Thats even before any fuel/swap/electical parts/mods. Then factor in the price of a descent fox is 5K, plus the suppporting mods to handle this new power. So unless you have 17-20K+ to spend in cash to do it right, lets not beat around the bush. Like I said before, there are plenty of ways to make much more power than the 03cobra motor/drivetrain for far less money. No its not a direct bolt in, as you have to buy aftermarket kmember, redo the brake systems, incorporate the mod motor harness/computer or go with a stand alone - these are just a start to many mods you must make.

Mustang sites:

http://www.corral.net
http://www.modularfox.com (mod motors into foxes)
http://www.turbomustangs.com
http://www.kar

i will search thise sites and see and decide about swap
thanks

Crawlin
07-31-2004, 08:21 PM
get a fox body stang, and put all your money into a 5.0 based powerplant with a s/c on it.

if you want "different" go for the more expensive route of the 03 cobra motor

if you want to go fast, just do the above mentioned prescription and if done right, 10's are easy, all without spending half the money you probably would have on the 03 motor swap

that's just my opinion though

scubastang
07-31-2004, 08:33 PM
get a fox body stang, and put all your money into a 5.0 based powerplant with a s/c on it.

if you want "different" go for the more expensive route of the 03 cobra motor

if you want to go fast, just do the above mentioned prescription and if done right, 10's are easy, all without spending half the money you probably would have on the 03 motor swap

that's just my opinion though

yes,
its a matter of either being serious or semi serious with a 5.0 lol if you can decifer that. To clarify though Chris for honda, you don't have to and you shouldn't stick any money into the 5.0 of a fox simply in the fact that the limiting factor is and always will be your block, which can let go anywhere from 450-550 rwhp. They come factory with forged descent internals. Any money you want to stick on a fox should be supporting stuff like heads/intake/fuel/susp/power adder (stock cam is fine). Thus you can't go much over 500rwhp w/o getting superserious and buying a r or dart block, where then you might as well shoot for huge HP. I will have to disagree on a SC for making great power compared to a TC, but for beginners, its a much easier route.

Btw Lidio swapped in a stock 03 cobra/tranny in a fox notch and was running high 10s at almost 130. :thumbsup

Al
07-31-2004, 11:36 PM
Another thing you could do is transplant a 351 Windsor block into a fox. As for the windsor, get the 393 crank, a good set of heads, mild cam, and 400hp is yours relatively cheap. Or take a 351w and add some forced induction. Even on a stock 5.0, 400hp on a mustang is very cheap, in fact, probably the cheapest car I can think of.

BTW- also check out
http://www.midwestmustangassociation.com/vb3/index.php?
http://www.cponygo.com/main/index.php

they are the local web forums for mustangs. The people there are very helpful.

One more BTW- if you buy a mustang, would you change your screen name? As for me, I don't own a blue car anymore. (but I have a gallon of electron blue paint). Sometimes I'd rather have Al.

Hey mod, can I change it to "AL"?

T-Bag
07-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Like chris said, an 03 cobra motor in a fox would be different, but wouldn't get great results compared to building up a blown 302, or N/A high compression 347. Hell a blown 331/347 or 351 would be cheaper.

Crawlin
08-01-2004, 08:25 AM
scuba-
i know what you mean. i would never build up on a stock 5.0 block unless i just didn't have any money but wanted something asap. definitely go with one of the aftermarket blocks available. that's why i put "5.0 based" motors.

i'd agree with you as well on the TC comment. Would make a ton of power, but for simplicity, like we both agree, a s/c is easiest and cheaper in SOME cases. Plus they are a dime a dozen so the info from others is abundant in this milwaukee area.

Chris

Crawlin
08-01-2004, 08:27 AM
PS- i REALLY want to put my built LS1 motor/TH400 combo in a notch. I think i could hit some REALLY low 10's N/A with it.

Cryptic
08-01-2004, 09:43 AM
yikes man... seriously you need to educate yourself before you buy anything. Ignorance is gonna be your worst enemy.

honda
08-01-2004, 09:56 AM
PS- i REALLY want to put my built LS1 motor/TH400 combo in a notch. I think i could hit some REALLY low 10's N/A with it.

i have seen V8 gm engine in side of mustang and it runs 10sec.
why would someone put gm engine in to a ford?

how much hp do i need to run mid 10sec with 92 mustang they are about 2800lb. 5spd manual tranny and slicks?

Crawlin
08-01-2004, 10:16 AM
there was a 377ci chevy in an SN95 body style stang that's from chicago area.

people do what they want because
1. they can
2. they have the $ to do it

I'd do it just because i already have a built LS1 motor, AND it is honestly better than a 5.0L motor that i could build for the same amount of money.

AND, it's DIFFERENT, just like your '03 cobra motor swap you want to do.

is it a coupe? cause i'm thinking an LX might be around 3000 and then a GT might be around 3100-3200 depending. Then add in the cage weight, and possibly the weight of the s/c or t/c or even nitrous equipment weight.

So figure 3000 even, in a '92 Stang, with a 5speed, to go a 10.50, with you driving. probably 600hp, haha

honda
08-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Specifications Ford Mustang 2-door convertible Ford Mustang 2-door coupe Ford Mustang 2-door hatchback
Wheelbase, in. 100.5 100.5 100.5
Overall Length, in. 179.6 179.6 179.6
Overall Width, in. 68.3 68.3 68.3
Overall Height, in. 52.1 52.1 52.1

Curb Weight, lbs. 2996 2775 2834

Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 6.4 10.0 30.0
Standard Payload, lbs. -- -- --
Fuel Capacity, gals. 15.4 15.4 15.4
Seating Capacity 4 4 4
Front Head Room, in. 37.6 37.0 37.0
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.7 41.7 41.7
Rear Head Room, in. 37.0 35.9 35.7
Min. Rear Leg Room, in. 30.7 30.7 30.7

Al
08-01-2004, 11:52 AM
So figure 3000 even, in a '92 Stang, with a 5speed, to go a 10.50, with you driving. probably 600hp, haha

But didn't smoked u do it with 4** hp in a convertable?

BTW- forced induction hp on a 5.0 is cheaper than all-motor. It will also be much friendlier around town. You will still be able to get about 25 mpg on a blown motor.

T-Bag
08-01-2004, 01:00 PM
scuba-
i know what you mean. i would never build up on a stock 5.0 block unless i just didn't have any money but wanted something asap. definitely go with one of the aftermarket blocks available. that's why i put "5.0 based" motors.

i'd agree with you as well on the TC comment. Would make a ton of power, but for simplicity, like we both agree, a s/c is easiest and cheaper in SOME cases. Plus they are a dime a dozen so the info from others is abundant in this milwaukee area.

Chris

What's wrong with a stock 5.0 block? Mark is running one in his convertible, sure it's a crate motor from ford but it's still the same 5.0 block. I believe Sam and Andy have the stock block as well, correct me if i'm wrong about that part.

scubastang
08-01-2004, 02:04 PM
What's wrong with a stock 5.0 block? Mark is running one in his convertible, sure it's a crate motor from ford but it's still the same 5.0 block. I believe Sam and Andy have the stock block as well, correct me if i'm wrong about that part.

nothing wrong with it, but you just can't really make big HP with it like you can say a LT1 or 4.6 mod block. If you ever take a peek though at the webbing its not the strongest block. You can do all the cryo/concrete filling etc you want but it won't do **** when your lil 302 cracks down the lifter valley. That is the weak point. Stock 5.0HO rollers cannot take a consistent 500+rwhp without you sweating bullets about it crackin. Its all in the tune obviously as well. The thing is that when you start pusing 450+rwhp, its just a ticking time bomb just because the stock block is not meant to be pushed that way. Now of course there is going to be exceptions to the rule, as many of the little tricks done to a stock block will help some, or if the tune is spot on, people are running low 10s, a few even high 9s. Many of those cars are not driven much at all and pushed with that high hp probably less than a few thousand miles/yr

mark runs high 10s at around 125 right? He is probably pushing 400-500 rwhp depending on weight. Now if he starts shooting for low 10s at like 135 its gonna be by by block :tomato

Crawlin
08-01-2004, 02:09 PM
he said mid 10's. Andy is 10.70's, mark's best WAS 10.9x but i think he went faster a week ago. there is only so much time it can last. Sam's been through a couple stock block motors.

For the weights, atleast it's someting close. You have to add in your weight(i'm 175) so that's what i usually base it off of. To go that fast you need a cage, so figure another 70lbs. Then whatever else if you use a power adder.

Now, Mark may be in the high 400 range, BUT you have to look at how he was running an automatic. besides lightning quick shifts compared to even the most able driver, more times than not, the auto will e.t. better because of it's ability to match a converter to a combo's power range and then keep the rpm's in that range rather than having that big rpm drop after the shift in a manual. Especially through Mark's C4. Not exactly the best to get a dyno number through just like a TH400 isn't. So he may not dyno high enough.

10.00 @ 142mph with about 720rwhp through a 6speed LS1 T/A. And that was a full slick, great launch run.

scubastang
08-01-2004, 02:14 PM
10.00 @ 142mph with about 720rwhp through a 6speed LS1 T/A. And that was a full slick, great launch run.

hell yeah that would be nice to be able to run on a 302 :crying

if only the new 05 would grace us with non powdered rods and forged pistons, as the stock mod motor blocks have already been pushed to 1500hp!!!!

yeah running a full manual auto will suck up HP on the dyno. I have seen clos to a 10% difference on teh dyno from a manual to auto on my friends SS (T56 vs th400 I believe)

turbogarrett
08-01-2004, 05:05 PM
ford modular motors are friggen huge! i would imagine there would be some clearance issues.

Prince Valiant
08-01-2004, 05:16 PM
ford modular motors are friggen huge! i would imagine there would be some clearance issues. And combine that with a fox bodies narrow yet tall shock towers...a tradition started way back during the original mustangs days when even the low deck windsor motors (289/302's) were considered a tighter fit than most...not to metion guys upgrading to 427's or 428's or 429/460's...I still don't know how they made them fit.

In the end, despite the blocks inherent weaknesses, I think your best bet is sticking to a windsor based motor such as a 302, 302 stroker such as a 331/347, or just the straight up 351W or variants thereof such as a 408 (351 stroker)...they can be build to incredible power levels with relative ease (it's not asking much to build a 400hp 351 or a 500hp 408 in NA form...if you want to spend more money, 600hp na is very doable...albeit streetability goes south). At least with the 351's you get the stronger block you need to make even bigger power, so if you want to add a blower...you can go for it and then the sky is the limit.

But I bet for your purposes a 400hp NA 302 would be more than enough to bring a grin to your face for a long long time....stick with a fox and build up the current motor.

BOSS LX
08-01-2004, 05:20 PM
About the mod motor swap, go to www.musclemustangfastfords.com they built up a 85 notch, and put in a lightning 5.4 sc, It was called project FRIGHTNING.

A stock 5.0 block can handle around 650 flywheel hp, after that it really is a time bomb.

As far as me, Mark, and Sam, a dart block is in the near future.

Al
08-01-2004, 07:02 PM
As I have been told, the stock 302 is safe for up to 400-500, the windsor is good for 800-1000 and those dart blocks are good for 1500+. I have heard that the flaw in the 302 is the engine mount, not an internal issue, but urethane mounts will cause the problem.

There is a conversion kit for the 4.6 in a fox body.

If you are interested, I have a 5.0 GT vert 5spd for sale with 133k on it. It is an 88 which is a speed-density fuel system instead of mass-air, but otherwise, the same thing as the 89+. Currently, it has a bad transmission. I can replace it with a better-than-stock rebuilt, or you can buy a much stronger transmission for the hp numbers you are talking about. As for mods, it only has a pair of mufflers on it. They are more for sound than performance. The mileage is off because the speedo broke. I fixed it once, but then it broke again. It is probably 5k off. Rust is limited to a few small areas which I could easily fix.

It is for sale as-is, but I will increase my price when the transmission is replaced.

scubastang
08-01-2004, 09:19 PM
here are some pics of mod motors in foxes....enjoy

http://www.modularfox.com/Portals/0/357/itruns.jpg
http://www.deviant-racing.com/car/7_183e.jpg
http://www.duggerracing.com/hosted/matt/matt3.jpg
http://www.duggerracing.com/hosted/matt/matt1.jpg
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5765&stc=1
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5766&stc=1
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2676&stc=1
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3174&stc=1

Prince Valiant
08-01-2004, 09:35 PM
*sigh*

all that motor and and it's only 4.6 or 5.4 liters :(

for essentially the same external size, one could have had a stroker 460 puting out 514+ci :goof