PDA

View Full Version : Do not use West Allis Electric....

67-400
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
For your electrical needs. He (Jeff) updated my garage to 60 amp service on three circuits. One for my fridge, one for my work lights and last for outlets, garage door and regular lighting. Within first couple days my worklights blow. I replace bulb but still didnt work. Well, they were old so I chalked it off. Much later I buy brand new fixtures just like it, it blew out right away. Now for christmas I get a nice brand new set and they blow immediately.

That said, I called him numerous times with no response, finally getting ahold of him we make appt to have him check the job he did. NO SHOW NO CALL. I called him, no response. Gave it couple days, tried again with no response. And hes a PROFFESIONAL? I guess ill call someone else next time and talk sh1t bout his poor work ethics he represents for the business he operates

GTSLOW
01-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow does that suck! Hopefully you get everything sorted out and taken care of. Thanks for the heads up.

VroomPshhTsi
01-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Report to BBB.

Prince Valiant
01-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Is the union any recourse?

Lash
01-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Is the union any recourse?

It's not a union shop.

badass88gt
01-13-2011, 05:57 AM
I believe Nismo Dave knows a thing or 2 about being an electrician, send him a PM.

LEWETHETIGER73
01-13-2011, 07:13 AM
1 happy cust. tells 100 people. 1 pissed off customer tells 1,000. That is something I wish every buisness under stood. If they did they would do their best everytime. Thanks for the tip. I'll help spread it :devil

Nix
01-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear Mike.

As stated above be damn sure to file a complaint aginst them with the BBB.

If you do anything else gimme a call and I'll give you a hand.

awsomeears
01-13-2011, 08:20 PM
60amp that's it ?

Get a multi-meter out and and see how much voltage is coming out any given outlet ?

Russ Jerome
01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Im pretty handy with AC voltages from 120 thru split and 3 phase 480, not sure how he could have wired it to smoke light fixtures. Wost case scenario would usualy be the light does not work or the garage burns to the ground.

Residential 220, two seperate 110's is coming from the power companys transformer down to your house, every other breaker carries one of the two 110's. The guy is a magician if he was able to somehow boost the voltage and burn up stuff.

What kind of lights?

GarBear021
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
I am a journeyman electrician, if you need any help just pm me and I can come and take a look at it for ya.

jbiscuit
01-13-2011, 08:51 PM
See or hear anything sparking or popping? Something has to be crossed or bad ground or something. But like Russ said how did he manage to do that?

67-400
01-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Its just a garage, upgrade from 10 to 60 is good for me. Lol they were painters lights and my most recent ones were hanging lights with the flourescent tube bulbs.

No popping or sparks. lights up for a short while and turns off. Replace with new bulb and still no light.

SSLEVO
01-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Im pretty handy with AC voltages from 120 thru split and 3 phase 480, not sure how he could have wired it to smoke light fixtures. Wost case scenario would usualy be the light does not work or the garage burns to the ground.

Residential 220, two seperate 110's is coming from the power companys transformer down to your house, every other breaker carries one of the two 110's. The guy is a magician if he was able to somehow boost the voltage and burn up stuff.

What kind of lights?

Yeah, i have no clue how he could have wired that to burn out a bunch of lights. Possibly wiring 2 hot wires to a 110 outlet? lol

Is the circuit breaker tripping when you plug the lights in?

What kind of lights? Do they have fuses?

Lash
01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Is the garage heated? Are these cold weather bulbs?

jamestown478
01-13-2011, 10:21 PM
1 happy cust. tells 100 people. 1 pissed off customer tells 1,000. That is something I wish every buisness under stood. If they did they would do their best everytime. Thanks for the tip. I'll help spread it :devil

that only works sometimes. There was that guy in new york that sells sunglasses that was a complete asshole to his customers and they all wrote bad complaints about him and his business all over the internet. The only thing that did was put his business at the top of the google search list for sunglass and made him a millionaire

67-400
01-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Yeah, i have no clue how he could have wired that to burn out a bunch of lights. Possibly wiring 2 hot wires to a 110 outlet? lol

Is the circuit breaker tripping when you plug the lights in?

What kind of lights? Do they have fuses?

No, circuit breaker not tripping. I had 4 painters (500W ea) lights pointing down from ceiling along the backside of the garage, 4 across. Two plugged in per outlet plug. Took a couple of days then they blew. New light bulbs didn't fix.

Later, I bought a single 250W painter light to just clamp to a rafter in the garage as I work under the hood. Blew within a week. New bulb didn't fix. Need I remind, a SINGLE 250W Halogen painter light.

This time at Christmas, I got some hanging lights that are good to start at -20F, the fluorescent 32W tube bulbs. This is two bulbs per fixture. One light fixture per outlet plug, one burnt out immediately after turning it on for the first time. Brand new light bulbs did not fix.

I don't have an Electric garage heater

WI_Dave
01-14-2011, 08:02 AM
It's not a union shop.

Shouldn't matter he still should have a license. Did he pull a permit? Then you can call the city's inspector and they can do something. I hired "a guy" once for an upgrade and got burned so I went thru all these stages to get him in trouble. I got the majority of my money back and hired a reputable contractor to finish the job.

indyzmike
01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Those halogen worklights are not known to last a long time. They are made cheap and the bulb terminals fail due to arcing. The flourescent lights have their problems too. With some brands you can buy 10 lights and have to return 2 or 3 because of failure in the first couple weeks. It sounds like a long shot, but it could be the lights going bad.

BoosTT
01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Could the polarity be reversed? This would blow e-ballests.

Russ Jerome
01-14-2011, 09:18 PM
I would take a breath and buy a $4.99 polarity tester from any harware store or Home Depot:
http://www.wiebetech.com/images/products//HotPlug_Accessories//Outlet_Polarity_Tester.jpg
One of your neigbors probably have one, 2 second test if the electrician knew what he was doing. Beyond that a DVM would confirm there is'nt some strange luner issue like in the movie "Frequency" causing crazy voltage swings :)
http://www.armitronpower.ca/images/tools11.jpg
Unlike automotive electronics there realy isnt any black magin in AC wireing, its very simple but people screw it up often.

wrath
01-15-2011, 05:37 PM
If he's licensed it's pretty easy to get him to lose it.

Electricity is pretty hard to fsck up.