PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance laws may change again...

03CVLX
01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Looks like there is talk of changing the Car Insurance laws again. You will still be required to have it, but the new higher minimums requirement will be wiped out. Is this good or bad?

http://www.jsonline.com/business/113359704.html

pOrk
01-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Good, will allow for more competition in the insurance market w pricing imo

wheelsofsteel
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I got pulled over this weekend and rather then "license and registration please" he said "license and proof of insurance please". Previously the only time I was asked for proof of insurance was when in an accident or something. Never the less he looked over my insurance card so they are definitely checking, even at a general traffic stop.

animal
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Step in the right direction. I wish they'd repeal the manditory part of it too.

BR3W CITY
01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
I got pulled over in a half-assembled truck; and when asked if I had insurance I told the officer that "ya, its covered under some kinda policy". Didn't ask for proof or anything...I've been in 2 other cars during stops and the driver wasn't ever asked for proof either.

pOrk
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I know a guy who got rolled and was asked, and he HAD insurance on the vehicle but the card he had with him was expired and he got a 500 dollar fine.

PureSound15
01-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Step in the right direction. I wish they'd repeal the manditory part of it too.

Why?

I know a guy who got rolled and was asked, and he HAD insurance on the vehicle but the card he had with him was expired and he got a 500 dollar fine.

I think thats dropped if you can prove that you had insurance at the time, right? I'd hope so, anyway. It seems as though Progressive sends me new cards constantly, I'm sure I don't have the most current one in my wallet.

pOrk
01-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Thats what I would assume, BUT the law states you must carry proof of insurance so maybe I am assuming wrong. The guy I know that got the ticket thought he was fu*ked on that deal so I don't know what to think.

Rocket Power
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM

That's pretty high ,they aren't that much where I work. He should go to court with proof he had insurance the day he got pulled over and it may get dropped to not carrying proof of insurance,which is cheaper IIRC

jamestown478
01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I was in a car with a friend in stallis and he got pulled over and got a 400 or some odd dollar fine for not having a valid card on him.

WickedSix
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
bazinga!

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2011/04/06/193383.htm

BR3W CITY
04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Pulled over again, wasn't asked for proof, pulled over AGAIN and an accident was involved....still...no.

GTSLOW
04-06-2011, 02:07 PM
How can anyone think mandatory insurance is a bad idea? I guess after you got railed by some jackass without insurance then you'd understand.

(Not trying to open that can of worms again just sayin)

Car Guy
04-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Sounds too familiar.....:D

I think thats dropped if you can prove that you had insurance at the time, right? I'd hope so, anyway.

My court date is the 27th of this month, I am confident the ticket will be dropped.....

Prince Valiant
04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
It's great...it'll reduce the cost of my insurance substantially. I don't need protection that the higher minimums give me, yet I'm forced to pay for it. On a couple of my vehicles, the premiums literally doubled. As soon as it takes effect, I'll have to make sure that the new coverages I want are enacted.

As far as not having mandatory, to me it's a principle thing. Very wealthy? They don't need it, so why mandate it? Likewise, if I think it's wrong to mandate me purchasing health insurance, why would I think it right to mandate auto?

And then there is the economic principle...mandatory coverage means that you no longer compete with free....so the price floors go up. If my purchase was weighing the cost of purchasing versus the cost of not purchasing, then the cost becomes a consideration. Although there is still competition against other providers, you've eliminated the cheapest (but riskiest) one. So in general, mandating purchasing insurance has never been shown to decrease premiums, instead raising them....

PB86MCSS
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
My premium didn't change due to the law change last year. It might of if you had low coverage limits.

Mandatory insurance is a good thing IMO since it protects innocent person A from dipshit person B. This is different than health insurance that only affects yourself. Of course, mandatory auto insurance doesn't mean the dipshit people get it, they'll still justify getting a citation that they'll probably never pay over getting coverage.

GTSLOW
04-06-2011, 06:37 PM
It's great...it'll reduce the cost of my insurance substantially. I don't need protection that the higher minimums give me, yet I'm forced to pay for it. On a couple of my vehicles, the premiums literally doubled. As soon as it takes effect, I'll have to make sure that the new coverages I want are enacted.

As far as not having mandatory, to me it's a principle thing. Very wealthy? They don't need it, so why mandate it? Likewise, if I think it's wrong to mandate me purchasing health insurance, why would I think it right to mandate auto?

And then there is the economic principle...mandatory coverage means that you no longer compete with free....so the price floors go up. If my purchase was weighing the cost of purchasing versus the cost of not purchasing, then the cost becomes a consideration. Although there is still competition against other providers, you've eliminated the cheapest (but riskiest) one. So in general, mandating purchasing insurance has never been shown to decrease premiums, instead raising them....

Comparing health insurance to auto? Not even close. In health insurance there's very little risk your going to affect someone else unless obviously you go into an er. Where as with autos there are accidents everyday.

wrath
04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
My premium didn't change due to the law change last year. It might of if you had low coverage limits.

Mandatory insurance is a good thing IMO since it protects innocent person A from dipshit person B. This is different than health insurance that only affects yourself. Of course, mandatory auto insurance doesn't mean the dipshit people get it, they'll still justify getting a citation that they'll probably never pay over getting coverage.

What happens if they still don't have insurance? What are you going to do, go to court and have their non-existent wages garnished? If you want to see stupid insurance laws, look at Michigan. Soon, the underinsured/uninsured motorist fees will be more than regular PLPD insurance.

fivonut
04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
A good friend of mine is my agent. She was explaining to me that this new law won't do jack shit for premiums. It's not the higher minimums that increased rates it's the mandatory uninsured underinsured coverage that bumped them.

fivonut
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
$10 for failure to provide proof on request. Much higher if you don't actually have insurance. From what I see here it sounds like the officers are slapping you for not having insurance and it's up to you to provide proof. In which case you should get dropped to the lesser $10 fine.

That's pretty high ,they aren't that much where I work. He should go to court with proof he had insurance the day he got pulled over and it may get dropped to not carrying proof of insurance,which is cheaper IIRC

WickedSix
04-06-2011, 07:45 PM
in the article i posted it said the mandatory underinsured and uninsured coverage was being repealed if bill gets signed

Prince Valiant
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
A good friend of mine is my agent. She was explaining to me that this new law won't do jack shit for premiums. It's not the higher minimums that increased rates it's the mandatory uninsured underinsured coverage that bumped them.I'd disagree w/ your friend simply since price the difference b/w various coverage rates...there is a difference.

No doubt mandating extra coverage also increases premiums, but higher minimums will effect rate simply since the higher the risk, the higher premium.

As far as mandating me to take on un/underinsured protections though again is silly, since it covers my medical cost/disability, yet these are things I already pay separately to cover anyways.

fivonut
04-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I've always carried higher than the minimums so I didn't see an increase there. The only increase I saw was from the additional un/underinsured. Im pretty sure that the diffference in price for liability is pennies.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

Prince Valiant
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I've always carried higher than the minimums so I didn't see an increase there. The only increase I saw was from the additional un/underinsured. Im pretty sure that the diffference in price for liability is pennies.

Sent from my Atrix using TapatalkNot for me...because I've always shopped the different coverage limits just to check.

Firefighter Z
04-07-2011, 09:45 AM
The Law should included that you need to buy/ have insurance before you get your DL or Plates.
And if your insurance policy gets cancelled or whatever, your DL and Plates should be suspended right away. (I think Michigan has a law like this)

If you get caught, then you should be arrested for public endangerment, fined, yadda yadda yadda...