PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ford Mustang 48+ MPG

GTSLOW
01-12-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2011/2011-ford-mustang-v6-sets-hp-mpg-record.html

Like this would really be achievable in real world driving. :rolleyes:

DRK
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Maybe not but....

A 2011 V6 Mustang although speed governed at 114 mph is still faster around VIR then a WRX STI and gets better fuel mileage. :rolf

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/track_map_3a_vir_track_map_and_lightning_lap_2011_ sector_times_page_7

BAD LS1
01-12-2011, 11:29 AM
What a bunch of BS hype. God i hate marketing fools. meanwhile back in reality the thing can only hit mid 20's with the avg person driving it in real conditions. perhaps a test like this would be better suited to sell hybrids? running them for that long at odd ball low speeds like only 1/3 of them seem to actually do while the other half passes me at 85+ on the free way.

Prince Valiant
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
well, if the real world was driven on a banked half mile oval at 43.9mph w/ no stop n' go traffic or intersections it would be.

just think what your TDI would do? What my insight would have done? (ftr, the best single tank for an insight in that situation was up over 140mpg...)

GTSLOW
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
well, if the real world was driven on a banked half mile oval at 43.9mph w/ no stop n' go traffic or intersections it would be.

just think what your TDI would do? What my insight would have done? (ftr, the best single tank for an insight in that situation was up over 140mpg...)

Oh my tdi would take down the insight :)

jbiscuit
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Maybe not but....

A 2011 V6 Mustang although speed governed at 114 mph is still faster around VIR then a WRX STI and gets better fuel mileage. :rolf

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/track_map_3a_vir_track_map_and_lightning_lap_2011_ sector_times_page_7

How is this even possible? I wish I had endless cash to test this with a professional driver. I just don't see the STi getting waxed by a V6 Mustang on the track!

97z2801ss
01-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Woopie do people dont buy mustangs because of their MPG

Prince Valiant
01-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Oh my tdi would take down the insight :)
lol...not even close. My guess I your best hasn't come within 25mpg of my best :wow

GTSLOW
01-13-2011, 06:11 AM
lol...not even close. My guess I your best hasn't come within 25mpg of my best :wow

You're probably very right. My best is 48 and usually pul 46 now in the winter. I'm sure a tank with consistent highway miles could probably do 52-55 maybe?

Prince Valiant
01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
You're probably very right. My best is 48 and usually pul 46 now in the winter. I'm sure a tank with consistent highway miles could probably do 52-55 maybe?Best mileage actually came w/ driving a mix around milwaukee...~68mpg would be a very good tank. Typical for the summer was 58-62mpg. Winter w/o cylinder deactivation was 48-54 depending on temps/conditions (the colder or more snow, the lower the mileage)

My very best on a road trip returned 74mpg for a full tank...I didn't stop for gas from when I left here until I got to Joplin, MO...which is on the MO/OK state line...that's nearly 10 hrs of driving and 700 miles away!!! I probably could have gone 800 miles on that tank (it's a 10.5 gal), but towns/gas was getting further and fewer b/w and I REALLY had to go to the bathroom :goof

On short trips of around 25-30 miles of city using the trip computer (which was very precise), I could push it into higher ranges of 85mpg or so (had a picture of my 25 mile commute, from driveway to parking spot of 85.7 on here that I can't retrieve anymore). On a pure city streets trek home where I could coast it during cylinder shutdown, I got nearly 94mpg coming home. That type of driving was impractical though, very tedious...I'd never have the discipline to do that every day forever or even a full tank.

WhatsADSM
01-13-2011, 03:44 PM
How is this even possible? I wish I had endless cash to test this with a professional driver. I just don't see the STi getting waxed by a V6 Mustang on the track!

x2. Something is SERIOUSLY questionable about someone taking a v6 mustang around a road course quicker than a new STI.

STI is faster in the straights, faster in the turns, likely better braking, and can pull itself out of turns because of AWD. On paper its a landslide victory for the STI. That's the theory side.

In practice everytime I have ever been on track the stockish STIs were moving much quicker than the stockish Mustang GTs

As for the 48 mpg thing... while the v6 mustang/camaro do get amazing mileage, you gotta be realistic. The 48mpg use case is not a very practical one.

spooln30
01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I think the EPA needs to step up way more than they have. If you look at cars from the late 80's thru the 90's, there were cars back then getting 50 mpg. Like Hondas just to say. Now with all the technology cars and trucks should be getting at least 40 mpg. It all comes down to making a buck.

Prince Valiant
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I think the EPA needs to step up way more than they have. If you look at cars from the late 80's thru the 90's, there were cars back then getting 50 mpg. Like Hondas just to say. Now with all the technology cars and trucks should be getting at least 40 mpg. It all comes down to making a buck.Go to fueleconomy.gov (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm) and you find 5 different gasoline vehicles that can even get 40mpg from 88-92. I'm doubting you can. Try even w/ diesel.

penji04
01-13-2011, 11:43 PM
1992 Toyota paseo 1.5L of fury automatic. 38 mpg all day long 44 mpg best

spooln30
01-14-2011, 02:46 AM
If you read how I worded my reply, I never stated that their were a lot of 80's - 90's cars that had high mpg's. I was just referring to the fact of some of late model cars (mostly imports) were able to achive very good mileage with that era of technology. 20 years later I would think cars would gain mpg's. All comes down to power companies helping other power companies make money.

My old 94 Civic got 45 mpg easy.

Prince Valiant
01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
If you read how I worded my reply, I never stated that their were a lot of 80's - 90's cars that had high mpg's.You stated plurals. There might have been two that got 50mpg...neither of which anyone in their right mind would want to buy today.

I was just referring to the fact of some of late model cars (mostly imports) were able to achive very good mileage with that era of technology. 20 years later I would think cars would gain mpg's.technology HAS gained us efficiency. However, the powertrains of today are NOT powering the cars of yesterday. Even most small cars are larger than their older counterpart, and virtually every single one of them are significantly larger/heavier...and much more powerful.

All comes down to power companies helping other power companies make money.How does that work? :wow