PDA

View Full Version : Fraction Usage Survey

michelle
01-11-2011, 06:28 AM
One of the math teachers I work with is interested in me running a summer school course and I am trying to do some research before I design it and present it for approval.

If you could answer the following questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
- How do you use fractions in your job?
- Life outside of work?
- Where do you work? (Location and brief description)

Thanks in advance!

WI_Dave
01-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I am a licensed boiler operator, licensed pool operator, licensed pesticide applicator and I use alot of formulas and fractions to figure out chemical amounts for all 3 of those items.

SSLEVO
01-11-2011, 07:24 AM
At work: don't use fractions all that much, pretty much everything is in decimal format. When i am designing a machine/fixture or something like that i suppose the base and other outside dimensions are usually fractional. I'm a Manufacturing engineer.

At home: All the time. Anything from hanging a picture frame to building a go kart in the garage. All adding and subtracting fractions in my head.

Ricky Bobby
01-11-2011, 07:27 AM
i actually hardly use it in either now that i think about it pretty much just straight math for me add and subtract

RanJer
01-11-2011, 07:58 AM
- I don't, everything is decimal format.
- Very rarely, unless making something quick out of wood (ie. beer pong table)
- Charter Automotive - Make internal engine parts

Myles
01-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I deal with subnets, not fractions!

But seriously I can't remember the last time I used fractions, maybe if I was coding more I might? I don't see it much in the code I write now for microcontrollers.

TraceDaddy
01-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Work: Not at all. Decimals
Home: Home improvement projects.
Work in Milwaukee at a law firm in IT.

SSDude
01-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Pretty much 50/50 at work between fraction and decimal.
Probably the same around the house.
I work in maintenance fixing, modifying and rebuilding machinery.

DurtyKurty
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
When building crap, I like to mix it up a bit. A few fractions here.... maybe a couple of decimals there. I especially like doing that when dimensioning drawings. Keeps things interesting. I noticed also that I think of certain numbers only as fractions, and some only as decimals. Also, I don't feel very good when using the metric system.... as logical and well thought out as it is.... because it's not very fraction friendly... but I force it. I find myself saying things like "That's two and three quarter millimeters, bitch!"

Car Guy
01-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I only use fractions if absolutely necessary, measuring with a vastly inferior method makes my head hurt.....:durr

SSLEVO
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
When building crap, I like to mix it up a bit. A few fractions here.... maybe a couple of decimals there. I especially like doing that when dimensioning drawings. Keeps things interesting. I noticed also that I think of certain numbers only as fractions, and some only as decimals. Also, I don't feel very good when using the metric system.... as logical and well thought out as it is.... because it's not very fraction friendly... but I force it. I find myself saying things like "That's two and three quarter millimeters, bitch!"

Thats why the metric system is so good, no fractions, lol.

When dimensioning something you need to keep in mind how it will be built. If you are building some type of frame you want to dimension it fractional since they will be using a tape measure. If you are machining something use decimal, as thats how a machine tool operates.

DurtyKurty
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Thats why the metric system is so good, no fractions, lol.

When dimensioning something you need to keep in mind how it will be built. If you are building some type of frame you want to dimension it fractional since they will be using a tape measure. If you are machining something use decimal, as thats how a machine tool operates.

Ill keep that in my the next time i am building some type of frame with a tape measure. I always wondered how those machine tools operated.

Rocket Power
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
We used metric tape measures at my last job at the crash testing place, because the Gov't wanted all the measurements in mm, got used to it so now I use metric with a tape measure when at home too:rolf

At my current job I don't measure anything, or need fractions, only decimals and that is only for the cash drawer:goof

SSLEVO
01-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Ill keep that in my the next time i am building some type of frame with a tape measure. I always wondered how those machine tools operated.

Lol, that doesn't make any sense. Have fun with your mix and match dimensioning, might as well use GD&T while your at it since your such an expert. :rolf

PureSound15
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Banking = decimals

Fractions for building stuff at home

Cryptic
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/00934565000?hei=700&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=0.9%2C0.5%2C0%2C0&resMode=sharp&wid=700

about the only time I use fractions, and that's rare cuz mostly everything is metric that I touch

michelle
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow, thank you for all of the responses! Much appreciated!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned measuring cups, but it is obvious not many of you spend time in kitchen!

srt4eh
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Music is nothing but fractions and sub-dividing beats. Life outside of work....I work on cars and spend time with my kids. Work at Fort Knox - US Army.

TheRX7Project
01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
This may sound odd, but I rarely use fractions, and when I do I tend to convert them to decimals anyway in my head.

Work: Very, very rarely
Home: Only when measuring something
I work at Quad Graphics as an industrial tugger operator.

WickedSix
01-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Work: when considering american fasteners only and that does not involve multiplication, division, etc. Do need to know the decimal equivalent. But the standard is rapidly moving to all metric fasteners in industry.

Workplace: Mech Engineer Heavy Truck Manufacturer

Home: as you mentioned baking...when adjusting a recipe to suite the quantity desired...such as yielding 36 cookies instead of what seems to be the standard of 2 dozens .... also in wood working, board feet comes to mind where a foot really isn't a foot

lordairgtar
01-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I use mostly decimal, but am pushing for metric measuring at work. I have a digital veneer caliper that can do both metric and decimal, but the amazing thing with this particular veneer caliper is that you can make the read out show actual fractions as well.
Work: Decimal with some fractional measuring, moving to metric.
Home: Cooking...most recipe books call out fractions and I have not seen metric measuring cups. Of course in the model car hobby, I use metric, as one millimeter is close to one inch in 1/25th scale.

BoosTT
01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
At work everything is non-metric. If it's metric, it also has non-metric units. Fractions are often used, but only in part disc's. Anything smaller then about 1/10 is decimal though. I'm an avionics engineer and design a lot of wires and cables for aircrafts.
Home... I always say the fraction, yet write down the decimal... mostly when wood working, ect.

Side note: Most calculators are set to give an "exact" answer (fraction) as defalt.

1320PNY
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I work on fluid delivery systems. Everything is crazy in terms of how items are properly identified. We use pipe fittings and they are called out by fractions, but do not necessarily physically measure the dimension that refers to them, i.e. 1/4 NPT has a major diameter of .540 which is larger than 1/2".

A major issue is that NPT (National Pipe Thread) is OUR Nation. BSPP is British Standard Pipe thread and has a different profile. The more machines are made overseas and sent here, the more difficult it is to adapt things for improvements that are easily sourced replacement parts.

Of course, straight threads are called out 1/4-20 and the 1/4 measures the outside diameter (.250) for the bolt. The nut required is also called out as 1/4-20 and the bolt length is given in a fractional format. Unfortunately, the head of the bolt uses a 7/16 wrench, and you begin to know the relationship between hardware call outs and tools quickly during installations.

Using the metric fasteners makes life simpler (mathmatically), but try finding a metric stainless bolt on a Sunday in Tomah or some obscure town in the U.S.

Fractions are a requirement for anyone involved in Hydraulic Systems, as simple as 3/8 CMP for hooking up a dishwasher or a water filter system in your home.

The Machinery's Handbook is a great reference for anyone thinking about headed toward an education in Engineering. It shows just how important all the basic level math is to understanding fabrication and being knowledgeable in the field of engineering.

SSLEVO
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Side note: Most calculators are set to give an "exact" answer (fraction) as defalt.

That pisses me off, took me a while to remember how to switch that on my Ti-89 the other day, lol.

WickedSix
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
^^ i keep mine on fraction and when u want decimal all u have to do is enter a number with a decimal

SSLEVO
01-11-2011, 08:28 PM
^^ i keep mine on fraction and when u want decimal all u have to do is enter a number with a decimal

Yeah i know, when i'm dividing numbers its a pita to have to multiply it by 1.0 all the time.

Al
01-12-2011, 02:30 AM
I used the inch-system and fractions as I designed and built this.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7305&stc=1&d=1294820857

I also talk in fractions when I measure the amount of fuel in my car. I cannot recall the last time I said "I have 0.75 tank of petrol in my saloon."

SSLEVO
01-12-2011, 07:41 AM
I also talk in fractions when I measure the amount of fuel in my car. I cannot recall the last time I said "I have 0.75 tank of petrol in my saloon."

Sounds like someone has been watching too much Top Gear:thumbsup

xxsn0blindxx
01-12-2011, 07:54 AM
- How do you use fractions in your job?
I calculate percentages and various ratios all day long, but it's usually in excel and therefore in decimal format

- Life outside of work?
I use it at home all the time. If I want to hang a picture in the center of a wall that is 48 3/8 inches, figuring out half way requires dividing fractions. A recent one I did was to place three shelves on a wall. The wall is 80 1/2 inches wide, one shelf is 2 feet wide and two of the shelves are 8 inches wide. I wanted the wider shelf centered and the two smaller shelves centered between the outside edge of the wide shelf and the edge of the wall. Each shelf has two screw screw holes which of course are inches and some fraction from each edge of the shelves, so a lot of fraction work was done to figure out the placement of each screw molly.

- Where do you work? (Location and brief description)
I work for a computer manufacturer doing product support and service operations.

BoosTT
01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
That pisses me off, took me a while to remember how to switch that on my Ti-89 the other day, lol.

Green Diamond on the 89 does it. Or you can go in the menu to have it always give an appx answer. ... My TI89's (yes two, haha) is what got me through college.

SSLEVO
01-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Green Diamond on the 89 does it. Or you can go in the menu to have it always give an appx answer. ... My TI89's (yes two, haha) is what got me through college.

Lol, i made the mistake of waiting untill i was 3/4 of the way through calc II before getting one. We always called it "the brain"