PDA

View Full Version : Portable tool sets.....

Car Guy
01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I rediscovered my love for 'junkyarding' yesterday and would like to buy a quality portable tool set for pulling parts. A set including 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drives with an extensive standard/metric socket selection and combination wrenches is the most important. Second is the carrying case, I hate nothing more than opening a two sided tool set and pieces fall out. Third is a decent assortment of the common stuff like hex drives, screwdrivers, torx bits, etc.....

Post up if you have any suggestions. This week I will shop in person at the usual stores (Menards, Sears, Lowe's, etc.) but figured a few of you might have firsthand experience with portable tool sets.....

lordairgtar
01-09-2011, 11:06 PM
A Plano box similar to the one I take to car shows with my art stuff in it. I have another one in grey that holds my household tools. Has a convenient tray with room for a few major wrenches and tools you need to get your hands on most. I suppose you could check out the Sears advert for some basic Craftsman tool sets on sale. Then just add a new tool as you need them thereafter.

WI_Dave
01-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Craftsman has a red/black plastic 4 drawer that has everything in it. and the drawers are removable if you only need one size set at a time.

mine looks kinda like this but doesnt have flip open top or personalized, and mine 4 drawers. It was like $179ish

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00980900000P?keyword=piece+set+case&prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=L9

-stew-
01-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I bought the above set in different box for $200 right after Christmas. I wanted better (than the harbor freight junk) tools for at home, needed a easy way to carry tools off site for work at times, and wanted an easy way to carry tools in my truck when wheeling/traveling more than six miles from my house.

stenchmiester
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Honestly all my sockets at work are harbor freight and I rarely break one. There pittsburg stuff is gauranteed. If it breaks just take it to harbor freight and exchange it. If they are out of it they will open the same kit you have and take it out of there Mines nice. The socket set is easy to grab out of my bug box and take with me. I believe its a 64 piece and its on sale now for $28

PonyKiller87
01-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I use a toolpak backpack which I loaded with a craftsman basic mechanic's tool set plus a few other odds and ends. Way easier to carry around the junk yard especialy when you want to climb up into a car thats stacked 3 high, keeps both hands free to climb or work. And when I'm not using it I just keep it behind the seat of the truck.

http://www.toolpak.com/