PDA

View Full Version : 98 gsxr 750

03Seville
01-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Going to be looking at a gsxr this weekend. Is their anything either model or year dependant that its known to be an issue on these that I should be looking for?

Sent from my EVO 4G using tapatalk

MoCkiN U
01-07-2011, 12:04 AM
its a fuel injected bike so thats the easy part for you a new owner. No putzing with damn carbs and such.

the biggest failure on these bikes is something called the CCT which is the cam chain tensioner. I dont have the complete story on it but there was some sort of recall done to the bikes and those that have changed it havent had issues but those who left it alone and wished for better eventually got the diesel sound from it and eventual valve damage. The only way to tell if its been done is with the valve cover off or when reving at idle it will sound distinctly like a diesel engine and thats NOT good.

video of sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WksamxBZjAY

-On right side of bike look for the oil sight glass just in from of the foot peg and ensure oil is not milky in there
-look close at front wheel and make sure its not tucked in to suggest front end damage.
-look at the chain for evidence of being cleaned and lubed. will be visible. If the chain and guide are all gunked up with shit safe to say its not being cleaned.
-Standing at the front of the bike with front wheel between your legs lift up gently on the front fairing. It shouldnt come up with your hands lifting on it. If it does the fairing stay bracket has broken and will cause the damn fairing to bounce and clank and make all kinds of racket with normal riding and then break the damn $300 headlight to replace "IF" the lower clips arent already broken.
-ask the owner to lift the gas tank for you to ensure the airbox is still instact. For some reason people liike to take them off but they hurt these bikes performance "SRAD....suzuki ram air direct" is just that and the box is a key component of it.
-if the bike is on a stand of any kind roll the rear wheel and check for binding or unusual noises and also spin the front wheel with your hand. With a pretty push it should spin a whole revolution and half. Sounds pretty petty but somethimes the brakes havent been worked on and you'll find binding issues from that or the front tire not properly installed and it will be clearly evident if the tire only spins a half turn.

look through the rear shock of the bike and look on the back of the motor. There should be a stamped engine code there relatively easy to see starting with letter "R" this will designate it being the proper CC 750 engine. The numbers after it will designate which model the engine is and so on.

also the 10th digit in the vin of the bike should be a "W" that will identify its a 98 frame

make sure the vin matches and so on.

suzuki identification page: http://www.suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml

srad forum: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

cct install instructions/info: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3467

03Seville
01-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Wow.. Thank you! That helps alot!

Sent from my EVO 4G using tapatalk

lilws6
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
i thought they were carbed until 2000? i thought my 99 600 was carbed still. it also has the diesel sound :) ask pork he remembers. sold it for what i paid to rt&t. i kinda miss that bike

VroomPshhTsi
01-08-2011, 03:35 PM
From Wiki:

GSX-R750 (W) 1998

Introduction of electronic fuel injection. Gain in power to 134bhp.

lilws6
01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
what about the 600? i can't wiki at work

VroomPshhTsi
01-08-2011, 05:14 PM
2001–2003 GSXR600

Redesigned with the introduction of fuel injection and carried over through to the 2003 model year with very few changes.

03Seville
01-08-2011, 05:54 PM
^^ more good info lol.. thnx

lilws6
01-09-2011, 10:30 AM
ahh ok thats what i thought i coulda sworn my 01 was the first year of FI good little bike if you can find one i wouldn't mind anouther 01-03 was quick for a stock 600 nothing compared to my current monster tho :goof but good solid bike easy to do work on

GsxrBots
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I think someone owes me an apology... :rolf