PDA

View Full Version : tint options

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Well i searched around here and from what people were recommending was Blackout on hwy100.

I have a couple things. I can't decide what to go with I want dark, but I don't want to have to remove it but I'm also in a focus so I don't think cops will pay too much attention to me.

I was thinking 5% on the back 3 and 20 on driver/pass with a 5% windshield strip. Or 15% on the back 3. Not sure how hard it is to see, I think it depends on the tint film. I know someone with 5% and you can see out fine but impossible from the outside.

Blackout quoted me at 205 not including the strip which seemed high to me.

anyone else have anyone they use that offers lifetime warranty?

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/quick93fox/2011-01-02_16-09-29_777.jpg

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
now i don't know what I had on the STi but it was pretty dark. all that was said to me when i was pulled over was I had 2 cops come to both sides and I had to have my windows rolled down he said "thats what happens when you have dark tint"

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/quick93fox/bank6.jpg

03CVLX
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Mine was done at Blackout and I just did 35% all around. Its dark enough for me and Ive never been hassled but still technically illegal in this damn state.

One thing I learned on my old cars that they told me is that if it has a dark paint color and dark interior the tint will appear alot darker also. So 20% on your light STI and 20% on the new black Focus could look totally different. Just something to keep in mind.

There used to be some people that recommened Superior window tinting Its on 84th Street across from the state fair park on 84th. I personally have never had them do any work but it might be another spot to check out.

Prince Valiant
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I had 20% all around on the insight...never felt in danger of attracting too much attention with it, and it was plenty dark enough for comfort without being too dark at night. Now, part of the reason I might not have got a lot of attention was that it was an insight, right? But then, it was a car that always got noticed anyways because of it's uniqueness...

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Mine was done at Blackout and I just did 35% all around. Its dark enough for me and Ive never been hassled but still technically illegal in this damn state.

One thing I learned on my old cars that they told me is that if it has a dark paint color and dark interior the tint will appear alot darker also. So 20% on your light STI and 20% on the new black Focus could look totally different. Just something to keep in mind.

There used to be some people that recommened Superior window tinting Its on 84th Street across from the state fair park on 84th. I personally have never had them do any work but it might be another spot to check out.

Well I have 2 friends that used Superior one is already on his second set from them, the other has is getting his redone, he also said the guy was smoking a cigarette in his car while doing it. :fire So I'm not too sure I wan't to bother. He said they'd do my car for 145.

I had 20% all around on the insight...never felt in danger of attracting too much attention with it, and it was plenty dark enough for comfort without being too dark at night. Now, part of the reason I might not have got a lot of attention was that it was an insight, right? But then, it was a car that always got noticed anyways because of it's uniqueness...

i never see those lol. I'm hoping the same thing I've been driving around with no plates the past 4 days past all kinds of Cops and none have even gave me attention so I don't think I should have much to worry about with tint, unless I'm already pulled over

Cryptic
01-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I had 15% all around from blackout. I think you would hate 5%. That's really dark.

03CVLX
01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Well I have 2 friends that used Superior one is already on his second set from them, the other has is getting his redone, he also said the guy was smoking a cigarette in his car while doing it. :fire So I'm not too sure I wan't to bother. He said they'd do my car for 145

Woah, that's something I have not heard before. Like I said Scott from Blackout has done every single one of my cars and all of my families cars. I do highly recommend him. I won't even consider Superior any longer.

If I remember correctly dark window tint is not a stoppable offense, so you gotta have something else, burned out lights, speeding etc, then once they have you stopped out comes the tint meter. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 11:17 AM
hmm maybe I'll just do 15% all the way around and 5% strip.

PureSound15
01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I actually think that REALLY dark tint and a black banner kind of cheapen the look of a car.

Modest tint that's real clean and doesn't distract your eyes from the rest of the car is a little more classy, IMHO.

$.02

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
i just want the banner b/c I hate the sun when I'm driving. Sunglasses or not I still drive around squinty-eyed all summer.

pashtrd
01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
If I remember correctly dark window tint is not a stoppable offense, so you gotta have something else, burned out lights, speeding etc, then once they have you stopped out comes the tint meter. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

i got pulled over by a state trooper ~ 2-3 years ago on a state highway up north for my illegal window tint. Got a fix it ticket.

kornholio788
01-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Tint boyz. Life time warranty. 150 bucks. Really nice people. Had great experiences on both of my cars.

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
hmm i'll have to look into them that's a good price.

Nix
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I've used Ziebart in the past. They did quality work and stood behind their guarntee/products but were kind of expensive.

There used to be a place in South Milwaukee called Kartunes that was awesome too, but they closed a few years back. :(

kornholio788
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
hmm i'll have to look into them that's a good price.

It is computer cut tint as well. The tinters have been really nice to me every time even with my lambos he didn't complain. Be warned though they only take cash or check no credit card. I didn't know this and he was willing to let me take my car after it was tinted to run home and grab cash. Was really cool about it. Great guy.

Ricky Bobby
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
i used to use an untouchable enterprise Joe Rajchil(sp?) did all my cars with 20% all the way around on all of them except my camaro i had 5% all the way around way to fricken dark at night couldnt back up for shit lol

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
It is computer cut tint as well. The tinters have been really nice to me every time even with my lambos he didn't complain. Be warned though they only take cash or check no credit card. I didn't know this and he was willing to let me take my car after it was tinted to run home and grab cash. Was really cool about it. Great guy.

Nice. Seems like a good place, I guess I'll have to call both and see who can get to it first. I plan on cash anyways.

lilws6
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
i dunno what i have but its f'n dark! the strip up front is anoying in my opinion. i'll be stripping that off come spring. the tint is awsoem in the day time but backing up at night sucks i must admit.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/035.jpg
this is the best i've got of the front banner.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/04dmax3.jpg

Feature Pony
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4761214486_24c0fc8750.jpg

I have 30% tint done by blackout on hwy 100. I also had Joe from untouchable enterprise do my dakota 20% 8 years ago and it is still holding up. Joe is on craigslist as the tint guy? (he goes mobile)

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
that mustang is 30%? that looks way darker then that!

03Seville
01-04-2011, 12:40 PM
I have 20% on both my cars..

The Caddy was done at blackout and wouldn't take my cars anywhere else.
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz43/tewig1/downsized_0510001326.jpg

The Exploder was already done when I bought it, rear is factory front windows are 20%, if I decide to keep it than tint will prob be redone as its getting that purple color to it that cheap films always do.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz43/tewig1/10953_1126748101331_1606020049_2971.jpg

As for cops I havent had any trouble with 20%, I was only pulled over once and that was because the cop knew me and felt like being a jerk :fire... luckily he didnt know the tint law himself so he wrote me a warning for my back window only since he believed me that the rest were factory lol

brotherbenn83
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I think that tint actually looks darker on a LIGHT colored car. My Buick and GTO were both done at Blackout to 20% all the way (no sunstrip EVER) and my previous cars were done by Joe Radchel from Untouchables, when he had a spot on 27th street. I would highly recommend Both of them.

Ricky Bobby
01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
just like feature pony said Joe's work lasts, and if hes mobile now thats awesome hes done so many of my cars its not even funny

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
When I say tint strip I only mean like 3-3.5" strip pretty much what comes factory on a lot of cars.

Feature Pony
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
that mustang is 30%? that looks way darker then that!

yup 30% with a black interior, when you get up close you can see in and tell it 30%. I didn't want the cops on my nuts 24/7. I had a 92 Z34 with a dark red interior and I was pulled over 7 times in 1 day with 20% tint done by Joe. I got off everytime with my firefighter plates, the girl I sold the car to was not so lucky the first day she bought the car she was yanked over and teh cop gave her a razor to peel right then and there. I got a nasty call later that night. Wasn't my car then!

Feature Pony
01-04-2011, 03:33 PM
When I say tint strip I only mean like 3-3.5" strip pretty much what comes factory on a lot of cars.

Also that sun strip will look like crap with the dot matrix on the factory windshield, it wont seal right to the glass leaving air pockets. When GM did the dot matrix on the rear windows of grand ams I had this issue, looked like crap!

Slow5oh
01-04-2011, 06:14 PM
hmm I don't think there's one all the way across. I think it's just around the mirror. I need something this is the first vehicle I've owned that didn't come with one factory.

SCHM1AN
01-04-2011, 08:24 PM
A buddy of mine had his truck done at Blackout and it looks really nice. I believe he got 15% all around. Had the car since the middle of summer with no problems from the cops, though he does say that it's almost impossible to back up at night.

Here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39668120@N05/5082356879/in/photostream/) are some pics of the truck.