PDA

View Full Version : executor of a will

88Nightmare
01-03-2011, 03:49 PM
so heres the situation. My grandmother (mothers side) is going to be 88 this year and is slowly slipping into senility. Physically, she is doing very well for her age but her mind is slowly deteriorating. My mother has two brothers. Her oldest brother has power of attorney and is the executor of her will. He is also not currently the most stable person, mentally. My mother asked me what can be done to gain power of attorney and executor of the will, and start organizing my grandmothers finances, and get her into assisted living. Do we need to sit down with my grandmother and an attorney?

FYI, my grandmother is in total agreement with this, we just need some insight on the legal logistics of this to ensure its done correctly. One other thing to keep in mind is that we are trying to figure out how to accomplish this given my grandmother lives in New Jersey.

Any suggestions?

05caddyext
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Gonna be difficult since someone has already been granted power of attorney. Why was this person given that authority? Also, do you have proof this person isn't "stable" or is this a power play by the rest of the family. You will definitely need an attorney if the person who already has the power of attorney won't relinquish it willingly.

Neal Steffek
01-03-2011, 05:57 PM
My guess is that the person who will be the new p.o.a. will have to go out there with a lawyer to do the new paper work.

88Nightmare
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Gonna be difficult since someone has already been granted power of attorney. Why was this person given that authority? Also, do you have proof this person isn't "stable" or is this a power play by the rest of the family. You will definitely need an attorney if the person who already has the power of attorney won't relinquish it willingly.

isn't the main individual responsible for deligating such powers? The person who currently has POA should be able to have that power revoked by the main person at any time. He originally was given POA simply because he was the oldest child

Firefighter Z
01-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I was a POA of my grandmothers bank accounts, my Dad formally was and we had to do was go to the bank with my Grandmother and she told them she wanted to change the POA. Filled the paper work out and the bank notary signed it.

JC70SS
01-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I was my grandfathers who just passed. I believe the current POA may have to sign off so the new person can become the POA.

rogerjames
07-17-2012, 10:48 PM
My grandfather who is Executor of Will, he is not feeling well that days and not mentally stable.One day my father go to bank with grandfather and transfer their POA by filling all the paper work out and then bank notary signed it. From that day i am legally POA of Will and whole property.
executor of a will (http://www.rsawills.com.au/)

Korndogg
07-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Thats awesome and all but this thread is a year and a half old.