PDA

View Full Version : License plate Question

Plum Crazy
01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
The plates on my Challenger expire in Feb. Is there a way to change the month they expire seeing as the car is in storage from Nov to April? My main issue is if it needs to go thru emissions, i dont want to drive it in the shitty weather. Also, im thinking of getting custom plates, can i let my current ones expire, then when i get it out of storage, re register it??? Just looking for the cheapest/least amount of hassle possible. Thanks.

Holeshot
01-01-2011, 10:12 PM
My plate expires in Jan. I dont pay it until I start driving in April. Its only $ 10 late fee to the DMV and take the test then if required which it is this year. Its no big deal. If you want to change your renewal month re register in in spring. The DMV will do that also.

lilws6
01-01-2011, 10:12 PM
i think you can switch it but i changed my stored at location so it no longer has to be tested now my car doesn't leave in feb. any more

Ricky Bobby
01-01-2011, 10:13 PM
i think you can switch it but i changed my stored at location so it no longer has to be tested now my car doesn't leave in feb. any more:thumbsup

hotshift13
01-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Testing? What is this testing you speak of?:devil

lilws6
01-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Testing? What is this testing you speak of?:devil

herpes

Plum Crazy
01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
herpes

Nope, Hepatitis. Passed, got one A, two B's, and a C

FoxStang
01-02-2011, 12:50 AM
If they ask for a test just call them and tell them you'd like to postpone, I think you can do extensions at least twice.

TheRX7Project
01-02-2011, 06:45 AM
i think you can switch it but i changed my stored at location so it no longer has to be tested now my car doesn't leave in feb. any more
Yeah it's odd that all my cars end up being stored in Fond Du Lac or Jefferson counties. You'd think I'd keep at least one here in Milwaukee :shades

JC70SS
01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
there is a form to fill out to change expiration month.

lilws6
01-02-2011, 09:17 AM
i've only got one sitting in lake geneva ;) the bike and truck are reg. here in racine county.

1320PNY
01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
You can simply call for an extension or go online. My car comes out no earlier than April 1st every year. They will give you until May no problem as they understand this is a seasonal vehicle.

Rocket Power
01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Just register it before you put it away?:goof
Wait till you pull it out this year and pay the extra $10

PB86MCSS
01-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Change where the vehicle is "kept" on the card when mailing in your fee. Bye bye testing.

Burgandy85SS
01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Just wait till you use it in the spring its only $10. probally easier than dealing with the dmv idiots for the extension.

Car Guy
01-02-2011, 01:11 PM
You can pay the $10 late fee at any time during the year but registration will still end the same month/day.....

michelle
01-02-2011, 01:29 PM
You can pay the $10 late fee at any time during the year but registration will still end the same month/day.....

Yep! Adam let the plates on the van expire since we don't use it. I had a hard time getting a new set of plates on it. DMV said to pay the $10 late fee, but they would still expire 3 months later as usual. I couldn't just apply for new plates, as I intended.

Ended up transferring my good plates from my '90 onto the van and will get collector plates one of these days.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Just fill out the form and change the month it is due.

FoxStang
01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Just wait till you use it in the spring its only $10. probally easier than dealing with the dmv idiots for the extension.
When I did it it was only a 5 minute phone call, didn't take long at all. There's a number on the emissions paper they send you in the mail, call it and get an extension and you'll be golden.

Waver
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
as far as the personalized plates, the dmv said that I had to make my registration current then pay the additional 15 or what ever the hell it is to get the personalized ones.

Moparjim
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Change where the vehicle is "kept" on the card when mailing in your fee. Bye bye testing.

Agreed. Not to mention if you ever mod it theres no additional worries.

I haven't had a car tested in probably 2 decades, I just "keep" everything in Walworth...

WI_Dave
01-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Agreed. Not to mention if you ever mod it theres no additional worries.

I haven't had a car tested in probably 2 decades, I just "keep" everything in Walworth...
^^ Same here. I used shawano and Langlade co. You don't even need an address up there use your home address just in the county in which the vehicle is kept area use an emmisions-less county. Once in a while I get an emmisions notice for a vehicle I did this with when I forst reg. it cause they used my mailing address, all I do is call and tell them this car is stored up north and I am not bringing it all the way back here for testing and they change it on the spot over the phone.

FoxStang
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
^^ Same here. I used shawano and Langlade co. You don't even need an address up there use your home address just in the county in which the vehicle is kept area use an emmisions-less county. Once in a while I get an emmisions notice for a vehicle I did this with when I forst reg. it cause they used my mailing address, all I do is call and tell them this car is stored up north and I am not bringing it all the way back here for testing and they change it on the spot over the phone.
Didn't they start cracking down on this this past year? I though you had to show proof of address now?

Moparjim
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I just registered that munched up S10 I bought off here a few weeks ago, so as of like mid to late December you could still have a home address here and a storage "kept at" location that was only a city and county name.

WI_Dave
01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Didn't they start cracking down on this this past year? I though you had to show proof of address now?

I have never needed an address but I have one. I did use that address once when I purchased a vehicle from a dealer because they wouldn't do it the other way and it saved me the stadium tax.

lilws6
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
i changed mine last year. and all the guy did at the dmv was ask me if it was really going to lake geneva or if i was doing this to bypass emissions. But of course i told him the correct answer

Slow Joe
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I just registered that munched up S10 I bought off here a few weeks ago, so as of like mid to late December you could still have a home address here and a storage "kept at" location that was only a city and county name.

I did the same with a '96 Altima I bought for my sister in law this past summer... Only difference is that it's actually kept in Waupaca... lol