PDA

View Full Version : Grey Squirrels stripping bark off of maple trees

Coops Brother
12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Yep, you read it correctly. The little SOB's have been terrorizing the back 40. I have been looking for porqupines for the last few weeks thinking that was what was doing this, but some of the trees are stripped to the end of the branches smaller that your pinky finger, no way a 10 lb porqupine does that. We had some warm weather here and I figured I'd go out and see if I could find some traks to follow and rid myself of the problem, but the only tracks found were squirrel at the base of some freshly stripped trees...:confused
So I did some digging for info on the computer and it turns out that grey and fox squirrels will strip the bark to eat the soft inner bark and to drink the sweet sap.

So, two things:

1- There is an open invite for "guided" squirrel hunts this winter. Cost for such a prized small game hunt- $bring beer$

2- If there is anyone that does woodworking and would like the stripped trees or branches, they are yours for the taking, come and get them. They actually look pretty cool, I saved some to make walking sticks out of.

Here are some pictures of the damage.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo88/coopthehdrider/IMG_0547.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo88/coopthehdrider/IMG_0548.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo88/coopthehdrider/IMG_0549.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo88/coopthehdrider/IMG_0550.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo88/coopthehdrider/IMG_0551.jpg

michelle
12-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I still don't see the problem.

Coops Brother
12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
It kills the trees, hard maple trees are worth money. What is there not to get? :stare

I will quote Myles' quote, "Who let you out of the kitchen?"

michelle
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Provide them with food over winter. Problem solved. (:

And not the lead, antifreeze, poison type of food either......

Coops Brother
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
They will be shot and made into pot pie or soup. I will not spend money to feed squirrels. When the mice eat your wiring on your car or chew up the air filter do you go get some bird seed to feed them? That is crazy talk.

xxtremeteam
12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
i have a small game lic. but your to far of drive for this weekend

michelle
12-31-2010, 02:23 PM
They will be shot and made into pot pie or soup. I will not spend money to feed squirrels. When the mice eat your wiring on your car or chew up the air filter do you go get some bird seed to feed them? That is crazy talk.

..... pretty much. Mice in the shed have access to the bird seed, which I use to fill up the non-squirrel proof bird feeders around the house. Cheap entertainment for the cats and it's nice to see a variety of wildlife around the house.

Sorry you are having trouble with them at your place. You are in a much more wooded area than I am, so I imagine your population is much higher. I haven't had any issues with the squirrels or mice around here.

Reverend Cooper
12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
I will be going up i believe next weekend possibly if anyone wants to kill squirrels

Lash
12-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Feeding mice?!?! Now I have heard it all. I usually enjoy shooting them little fvckers with my BB gun. Its good practice for our 4 year old too.

Lash
12-31-2010, 08:13 PM
..... pretty much. Mice in the shed have access to the bird seed, which I use to fill up the non-squirrel proof bird feeders around the house. Cheap entertainment for the cats and it's nice to see a variety of wildlife around the house.

Sorry you are having trouble with them at your place. You are in a much more wooded area than I am, so I imagine your population is much higher. I haven't had any issues with the squirrels or mice around here.

If you are providing food for mice.....it's just a matter of time before it is an issue. Do you know how many mice they can bred in a year?

fivonut
12-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I will be going up i believe next weekend possibly if anyone wants to kill squirrels

I'd love to get some work out of the AR22, but mumma would beat my ass if I skipped out on her Bday!!!

Coops Brother
12-31-2010, 08:46 PM
I'd love to get some work out of the AR22, but mumma would beat my ass if I skipped out on her Bday!!!

Leave her a Benjamin on the dresser, and tell her you'll be be back when you get back. :rolf

Coops Brother
12-31-2010, 08:49 PM
If you are providing food for mice.....it's just a matter of time before it is an issue. Do you know how many mice they can bred in a year?

I had some ideas on that too, but I figured I'd let someone else chime in.;)

fivonut
12-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Leave her a Benjamin on the dresser, and tell her you'll be be back when you get back. :rolf

:devil

michelle
12-31-2010, 09:34 PM

I don't see a lot of mice around here. Mainly chipmunks. Found 2 dead mice while cleaning out the shed though. One poor thing found it's way into one of the longer attachments on the shop vac and couldn't get out. ):

We live relatively close to farms and I see a few of the farm cats walk around our yard. Perhaps they take care of the mice? I'm not sure.

I do wish we would have more chipmunks and squirrels around here. I wonder if all the dogs in the area scare them away.

Only "rodent" issue I have see with our house were chipmunks made a little hole in the bottom of our garage door to get in. All of the seed was stored in there, so I understood why. Moved the containers of seed into the shed since that has more access for chipmunks and haven't seen a chipmunk in the garage since.

Russ Jerome
12-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Im always available for your ethical and humane one shot sleeping pill dispencer.
https://sites.google.com/site/morejunksite/_/rsrc/1264816122874/home/Nikon1522VSsquirel.jpg?height=263&width=320
(Tiny Pine Squirrel at 60+yrds, CCI mini mag, S&W 15-22, 3# trigger,full floated, Nikon fixxed 4x32)
I'll call you later in week and check your schedule, need to get away for a day.

Russ Jerome
12-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh and rabbits I now know love *apple bark...both my new trees are chewed 1' up from base :( I've got them wrapped and fenced now, hope they come thru it next spring. I've got tons of hawks and Fox but the balance if favoring the bunnies.

*if you plan on buying apple trees do some reading, Rabbits LOVE apple bark!

Reverend Cooper
01-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Russ we are going

HITMAN
01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I still don't see the problem.

Must be those PETA polarized glasses you're looking through. :durr

Taetsch Z-24
01-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I have a little Winchester M92-22 trapper.... to bad I need to site it in again...

Coops Brother
01-02-2011, 06:48 AM
I have a little Winchester M92-22 trapper.... to bad I need to site it in again...

Did I mention I have a 100yd rifle/handgun range here?:thumbsup

Taetsch Z-24
01-02-2011, 06:26 PM
damnit!

I just got back from my parents, the rifle is there, for new years...

I now have a uberty(SP?) 1873 remake Remington .45 5 1/2 barrel though...

May be a little much though...

If I go up again Ill PM ya. (Unless I can use my M4.. no optics though, cant see spending that on a ACOG.)

Russ Jerome
01-03-2011, 02:04 PM
My scoped Gamo took 3 of my peanut feeder yesterday....4 new ones arived today :(
My dog gets crazy excited whenever I shoulder the rifle, she loves downed squirrels.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs755.snc4/65577_439458545697_748950697_5378756_6153254_n.jpg
My home made feeder is taking a beating, they chew thru wire and I have to redo(old pic of devil squirrel).

Lash
01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
My critter killer. I never see any squirels around here. :durr

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Lash00/killer.jpg

TheRX7Project
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Can I try my .308 on a squirrel? :rolf

I should've checked this thread sooner, I was off all week and my .22 is itching for some playtime.

Coops Brother
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Can I try my .308 on a squirrel? :rolf

I should've checked this thread sooner, I was off all week and my .22 is itching for some playtime.

Why not? I am going to go play with my .223 this weekend, should be like shooting prairie dogs...:thumbsup

Anyone coming up this weekend?