PDA

View Full Version : Drum brake question.....

73MACH
12-30-2010, 01:05 AM
What causes the springs to break? I have a 2001 ford ranger and I had springs replaced twice in 4 years and then 1 broke again last week, so I bought new adjusters, spring kits, and pads for both rears, replaced, and it was fine.......til tonight!:flipoff2: I was running to the store and out of nowhere, my pedal is a crapload softer again!:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Another broke spring......WTF?!?!?!?!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I did brakes one at a time using the other as reference and I also double checked with a haynes manual so I know it was done correctly, is there a stress point thats a problem or what??

WickedSix
12-30-2010, 09:06 AM
how are you installing the springs? where are they breaking? its a pretty shitty environment for a spring lots of heat cycling and stress cycles. If you are installing them using a pair of diagonal cutters u could be putting a 'crack' initiation point into the spring.

GTO Jeff
12-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger that I bought new and since then has only had one brake job and I haven't had any springs break.

73MACH
12-30-2010, 10:58 AM
how are you installing the springs? where are they breaking? its a pretty shitty environment for a spring lots of heat cycling and stress cycles. If you are installing them using a pair of diagonal cutters u could be putting a 'crack' initiation point into the spring.

I'm using brake spring tools..........

lordairgtar
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Maybe the springs are just crap. See if there is a better brand.

Russ Jerome
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Primary or secondary spring?
aka: leading (forward) or trailing (rear) spring or upper/lower spring ?
Im just assuming its a drum return spring and not an adjuster spring.

Google: brake drum foundation brakes to see what happens during operation, its kinda cool how they work off of leverage and not so much the hydraulic force of the piston expanding. Drums are actualy superior to discs as far as force, thats why semi trucks use them at all 6 corners. Look at images of drum brakes too, it becomes obvious why you need retun springs to be functional as you release your brakes, drum brakes are pretty cool (Mile Cirus quote).

73MACH
12-31-2010, 07:09 PM
I figured it out last night, I had a spring connected the wrong way, stupid!:chair: