PDA

View Full Version : super slow computer

05caddyext
12-25-2010, 07:35 PM
For the last several days my desktop has come nearly to a hault. takes forever to load windows xp, takes forever to connect to internet, (use firefox). Have norton 360 and also use malware bytes program, neither find anything. Anyone have any idea whats going on? its so slow I want to throw it in the trash.

GTSLOW
12-25-2010, 08:07 PM
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49483

:)

BoosTT
12-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Ive seen a bad hard drive do the exact thing you discribe. Do a hardware test.

03CVLX
12-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Honestly, I have never had a bit of luck with any Norton product. It always slowed my computers down.

Try downloading ccleaner. www.ccleaner.com and clean out all the junk files. It may help. Run both the junk file cleaner and the Registry cleaner. If its never been done before I can bet it is jam packed with old junk files.

Also try downloading spybot search and destroyIf neither of that works Use GTslows link and contact our newest sponsor. Hopefully he will be able to point you in a better direction or fix it for you.

05caddyext
12-25-2010, 09:43 PM
how do you do a hardware test?

BoosTT
12-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Its usually f8 or something right when the pc starts. On the hp or whatever logo screen. Its in the same spot as when you enter the bios. Or I know some software programs can test hardware also.

lordairgtar
12-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Doesn't Norton run files in the background? Seems this slows computers down a bit.

Silver86
12-27-2010, 07:51 AM
sounds like my parents PC... hopefully they will let me build them a new one...

not sure if anythings changed, but norton has always been a huge resource hog. but if you were using it before this big slow down, then i dont see it being the problem.

you can try a few things, probably not the root cause but might help a little. my computer > right click on C: drive and click properties. tools tab > error checking and defrag, do both but not at the same time. (not sure how computer savvy you are.)

animal
12-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Any norton/symantec security product = JUNK.

wikked
12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Malwarebyte's alone doesn't find everything. A rootkit will easily avoid detection, and could easily slow you to a halt.

Could be you have a ton of shit running in the background (the things that load on startup, icons next to the clock in XP).
Couple that with Norton's, and insufficient ram, and zzzzzzzz.

Myles
12-27-2010, 12:34 PM
when in doubt, format the bitch.

animal
12-27-2010, 02:27 PM
when in doubt, format the bitch.

+1

I was going to suggest that... but I don't want to be on the hook explaining how lol.

Exitspeed
12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I have 4 gb of DDR3 SDRAM (240 pin) G Skill for sale. 3 months old. $30.

05caddyext
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM
computer has 4gb of ram. I can't format it, the recovery portion of the harddrive doesnt work, never has.

lordairgtar
12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Time to buy a new computer then.

05caddyext
12-27-2010, 05:46 PM
probably not a bad idea. I would like one that has dual monitor support out of the box without having to change the graphics card like i did on my current one. I don't need hdmi out, svga works great on my 52" lcd tv. How much should I expect to pay for a decent desktop? I don't do gaming, but often had several programs open at once. Need to be able to burn dvds, dont care about dual layer, never used that. No special programs like cad or photoshop, but would like something fast. Don't need monitor either, just computer. How much? 500? 1000? give me an idea.

Exitspeed
12-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Build one.

Silver86
12-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Build one.

this ^^

GTSLOW
12-28-2010, 08:52 AM
If it is a bad hdd or what not you can always get a new one and install windows on that. No reason to build a new pc unless you want to. With that said you'll always get more for your money building your own.

animal
12-28-2010, 09:04 AM
you'll always get more for your money building your own.

I used to agree with that. It doesnt hold true for all cases anymore.

Silver86
12-28-2010, 10:08 AM

not sure if i understand why you are saying that. could you give an example? im just curious.

British_Ben
12-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Press ctrl-shift-escape and go to the processes tab. Click on the CPU header to sort it descending and see what's using 100% or close to it. If the name of the process is not something you've heard of, you can google it or post it here and we might know what it is. Then uninstall the corresponding application.

animal
12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
not sure if i understand why you are saying that. could you give an example? im just curious.

It's kindof a seperate conversation/argument, but an easy example would be an entry level internet and email machine. By the time you buy all the hardware required, you could've had a prefab machine that comes with a licensed new OS as well (obviously assuming you're not re-using the older OS or pirating a seperate new one). Just saying the "build your own" thing isn't always the most cost effective anymore for an average user.

Silver86
12-28-2010, 10:58 AM
It's kindof a seperate conversation/argument, but an easy example would be an entry level internet and email machine. By the time you buy all the hardware required, you could've had a prefab machine that comes with a licensed new OS as well (obviously assuming you're not re-using the older OS or pirating a seperate new one). Just saying the "build your own" thing isn't always the most cost effective anymore for an average user.

gotcha... good point.

Exitspeed
12-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Quality wise it still does. Yes you can buy a desktop cheaper at Best Buy with the same specs as you could build one, but it's harder to upgrade the store bought one and the parts are inferior to one you would build.

I just built a damn nice desktop out of parts that will blow away the store bought built pc's and I spend just over $800 with the monitor. I could have bought a similar pc for probably $700 but mine is superior inside and out.

animal
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
mine is superior inside and out.

I used to think the same way. Matter of opinion I guess, but I don't want to digress from the slow computer topic.

GTSLOW
12-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I used to think the same way. Matter of opinion I guess, but I don't want to digress from the slow computer topic.

I'd have to hit the ignore button if you did. :goof ;)

animal
12-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I'd have to hit the ignore button if you did. :goof ;)

Would be nothing i haven't already done for you ;)

Exitspeed
12-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Get ready to hit the ignore button.

That wasn't an opinion, it was a fact. The parts inside pre-built store computers ARE the cheaper parts available. ALSO it's harder to upgrade store bought computers because they are all proprietary parts, meaning the manufacturer only wants you to replace parts with their parts. Some computers are 100% proprietary. The reason is because they don't want you to just upgrade your graphics card, or ram, etc etc, they want you to go out and spend another $1500 (or whatever your budget) and replace the whole thing. There are few computers out there that are an exception to all of this.

Again, this is FACT, not opinion.

Is it easier to go out and buy a computer? Hell yes. But in the long run it's more expensive.

I'm not completely against buying store bought PC's depending on the situation. I just bought my in-laws a Compaq laptop for Christmas. It was cheap and it's all they will ever need.

Another thing I'm not fond of is all the pre-installed crap on store bought computers. When i fired up that laptop for them I couldn't believe all the extra junk on there. I uninstalled a shit load of stuff they would never use or even over know was there, other then slowing the thing down.

Ok, I won't keep rambling.

animal
12-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm not going to argue with you, seeing as you know best. :rolf

Get ready to hit the ignore button.

Don't worry, that was done back in April 2007 ;) Sometimes i accidentally hit the "view post" link while scrolling.

Exitspeed
12-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm not going to argue with you, seeing as you know best. :rolf

Don't worry, that was done back in April 2007 ;) Sometimes i accidentally hit the "view post" link while scrolling.

Facts are facts. Just sayin. :durr