PDA

View Full Version : I got a job!!!

easytoremember
12-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Best Christmas present I could of asked for

No.... I didn't take a lot of advice from some people here and settle for the burger flipping job. Instead I kept my standards and was offered a job as an Account Exec for a business consulting company.

I know someone who worked for a company years ago in a similar position so I know the potential of the pay. It's 100% commission and unlimited bonuses as well. The office has 8 execs as the average compensation is in the 70s, with 4 of them topping 100k.

I was hunting for 6.5 months. I guess it's true what they say, that when looking it typically takes 1 month of searching for every 10k in compensation you seek.

Glad I stuck to my guns.

Time to go Christmas Shopping!!!

awsomeears
12-24-2010, 03:37 PM
So what nights are you Dancing at SILK ?

100% commission gave it away :-0

michelle
12-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Hope it works out for you and you enjoy it. More to life than making $100k a year.

Dr.Buick
12-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Hope it works out for you and you enjoy it. More to life than making $100k a year.
^ Comming from someone that shapes young minds I agree ^

8 people 4 make 100k means 4 make less than 50k. for a avg of 70k Michelle tought me math LOL

Prince Valiant
12-24-2010, 04:04 PM
No.... I didn't take a lot of advice from some people here and settle for the burger flipping job. Instead I kept my standards and was offered a job as an Account Exec for a business consulting company.

Glad I stuck to my guns.
*ooooh* you showed them!!! :rolleyes:

congrats on the job.

Rocket Power
12-24-2010, 05:17 PM
*ooooh* you showed them!!! :rolleyes:

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

STANMAN
12-24-2010, 05:37 PM

X billions!

BAD LS1
12-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Congrats, your first check will buy you an entire transmission for the GP vs a few parts by the sounds of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTSLOW
12-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Congrats and good luck.

tommyt5078
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
But with 100K you will get more out of life.

team beater
12-24-2010, 07:48 PM
^ disagree, been there done that. Happier after I left my old employer. Not saying I would trade up for a something that pays 30k. But usually 6 figures means twice as many hours, which means lots of cool stuff with no time to enjoy.

Ps Congrats on the job, its always good to know when some lands back on their feet.

easytoremember
12-24-2010, 08:18 PM
there's more to life than making money? Really? I'm so glad you told me that before, what a unique view on life. Nobody ever said that before...:yawn:

michelle
12-24-2010, 08:25 PM
there's more to life than making money? Really? I'm so glad you told me that before, what a unique view on life. Nobody ever said that before...:yawn:

http://i29.tinypic.com/9qelpl.jpg

pOrk
12-24-2010, 08:34 PM
lol, I'm with Michelle on this one.

Cryptic
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
So you're going to make 70-100k a year and yet you have a screen name that is "easytoremember".

lots of luck, you will probably picking up the scraps of the other 8 execs for the first couple of years.

easytoremember
12-24-2010, 09:02 PM
lots of luck, you will probably picking up the scraps of the other 8 execs for the first couple of years.

lol, not quite...

Anyway... I'm very excited and grateful for this opportunity, despite the haters.

Prince Valiant
12-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I was hunting for 6.5 months. I guess it's true what they say, that when looking it typically takes 1 month of searching for every 10k in compensation you seek.
By this metric, you should have kept searching at least another 4 months...

easytoremember
12-24-2010, 09:15 PM
yes, and by the logic of a lot of people here I should have settled and flipped burgers.

lordairgtar
12-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Glad you found something that you might enjoy. I hope yer successful at it. I think what Michelle might have been saying is don't get caught up in the making of money to the point where making money is the be all to end all. In other words, don't overlook the finer points of life. But what do I know, I'm just a highschool drop out.

BoosTT
12-24-2010, 09:34 PM
100% commission with the current market conditions? Theres a good chance you could work for free.

Eitherway, I don't see how posting all this info online is a good idea. You are clearly not making more friends by doing this. You should have realized this already and stopped 10 posts ago. Just drop it and let it go.

And congrats on the Job. I really do hope you like it and it works out well.

easytoremember
12-24-2010, 09:37 PM
In other words, don't overlook the finer points of life

I agree 100%, it's just not new logic...

Here's how I view it.

I'm a lot of things to a lot of people. IN ORDER: A Child of God, A Father, A Husband, A Son, A brother, An Uncle, (No particular order for the following) Then work.

Most important thing I learned at Marquette: In life,
First comes God
Second comes family
Everything else is a distant third. Make your decisions with that close to your heart and you will find success in your pursuit for happiness.

Also the 5 whys and give a fuck is kind of cool.

When you're trying to get to the root of why someone is doing something or acting a certain way, ask why 5 times and give a fuck about their answer. (i've done it so much I can narrow myself down in 4 steps)

Why do I work?
To make money

Why do you want to make money?
To provide for my family

Why do you want to provide for your family?
So we can enjoy our time spent together.

Why do you want to enjoy time with your family?
To show my love for them and to be loved.

So to find my motivation, a supervisor using this method would then make any benefits, or compensation incentives based upon my desire to be loved and to show love toward my family. A 'vacation' to a conference in Vegas where I would have to leave them behind for a week wouldn't interest me. But allowing me to leave work early on a Friday to beat traffic home so I can pick up my daughter from school, would mean the world to me, and cost the company a lot less.

:banana1:

SSDude
12-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Congrats on finding a job that fits your criteria.

Rocket Power
12-24-2010, 10:32 PM
lol, not quite...

Anyway... I'm very excited and grateful for this opportunity, despite the haters.

You'd have less haters if you didn't come off as such a d-bag. Just sayin'

Cryptic
12-25-2010, 12:22 AM
I agree 100%, it's just not new logic...

Here's how I view it.

I'm a lot of things to a lot of people. IN ORDER: A Child of God, A Father, A Husband, A Son, A brother, An Uncle, (No particular order for the following) Then work.

Most important thing I learned at Marquette: In life,
First comes God
Second comes family
Everything else is a distant third. Make your decisions with that close to your heart and you will find success in your pursuit for happiness.

Also the 5 whys and give a fuck is kind of cool.

When you're trying to get to the root of why someone is doing something or acting a certain way, ask why 5 times and give a fuck about their answer. (i've done it so much I can narrow myself down in 4 steps)

Why do I work?
To make money

Why do you want to make money?
To provide for my family

Why do you want to provide for your family?
So we can enjoy our time spent together.

Why do you want to enjoy time with your family?
To show my love for them and to be loved.

So to find my motivation, a supervisor using this method would then make any benefits, or compensation incentives based upon my desire to be loved and to show love toward my family. A 'vacation' to a conference in Vegas where I would have to leave them behind for a week wouldn't interest me. But allowing me to leave work early on a Friday to beat traffic home so I can pick up my daughter from school, would mean the world to me, and cost the company a lot less.

:banana1:

Now that's a good post. :thumbsup

easytoremember
12-25-2010, 12:50 AM
You'd have less haters if you didn't come off as such a d-bag. Just sayin'

If you think I'm a d bag I can't be held responsible for the thoughts of other people.

And how do I come off as a d bag?

Because I sought out a job I was qualified for and stood my ground when people told me to give up?

Because I have perseverance and refused to believe that all hope was lost?

Because I worked hard at finding a job that will allow me both ample money to support my family, and ample time off to enjoy it with them?

Or is it because I just don't give merit to what people's comments on the internet when they say they know what I should do with my life, considering they never met me, let alone have taken the time to get to know me or my situation, or my family and our situation. Yep I should give that TONS of credit because those opinions are obviously well thought out and delivered.

95mustang302
12-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Nevermind, Merry Christmas :)

FoxStang
12-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Because I sought out a job I was qualified for and stood my ground when people told me to give up?

I doubt people meant that you should give up looking for a job that your qualified for, rather that no job is below you especially when your providing for a family. Either way I know that looking for a job can become like another part time job, but that doesn't mean you can't work somewhere else at the same time.

Congrats on the job though, what degree did you have?

HITMAN
12-25-2010, 02:15 AM
And how do I come off as a d bag?

Oh, I don't know how about the statements made below, for starters?

Or is it because I just don't give merit to what people's comments on the internet when they say they know what I should do with my life, considering they never met me, let alone have taken the time to get to know me or my situation, or my family and our situation. Yep I should give that TONS of credit because those opinions are obviously well thought out and delivered.

So, lets review. You air your life out on a public forum, you're always asking everybody's advice on everything pertaining to your stupid employment situation (that nobody but you really gives a fuck about) and then because you decide not to take the asked for advice and you land a job that pays 100% commission :rolf suddenly, you're acting like you're the smartest guy on the board.

No.... I didn't take a lot of advice from some people here and settle for the burger flipping job. Instead I kept my standards and was offered a job as an Account Exec for a business consulting company....

Glad I stuck to my guns.

I'd say that considering that YOU were the one doing the asking, the above statements do ring of douchebaggery. If you aren't planning on heeding the advice given for FREE on an internet Bulletin Board, then why ask for it in the first place? Idiot.

BTW, six-and-a-half months looking and all you have to show for it is a job that pays 100% commission? You should go back to Marquette and ask for a refund on your tuition because obviously the education you received isn't worth the ink on your diploma. There isn't ONE PERSON ON THIS PLANET that couldn't get a job working for free. What's the down side for an employer? If you're good at your job and you bring in money, Great! The employer didn't have to invest much in you and you're out there increasing his bottom line. If you suck, he doesn't have to give you a dime, he didn't have to invest much in you and he can kick your ass to the curb without shedding a single tear. He loses how?

May all of your aspirations for this job come true. But if they don't, do everyone here a favor and DON'T ASK FOR ANYMORE FREE EMPLOYMENT ADVICE. You're obviously much smarter than the rest of us and you are fully capable of figuring this out on your own. After all, you got yourself a job that has high income potential but in the mean time pays absolutely nothing.... :thumbsup

Have a Merry Christmas

FoxStang
12-25-2010, 02:44 AM
On a side note, if you have $99 cash your pre-approved for a Kia! Or do they not do that anymore?:goof

Neal Steffek
12-25-2010, 03:41 AM
I wish you were flipping burgers. I would visit you every day becasue I am fat. :rolf:thumbsup

jbiscuit
12-25-2010, 08:49 AM
BCM is full of haters so you know your posts are going to be flamed. And I have tonagree with the others on this one a 100% commission job in this economy seems like a potentially unstable risk for your family. A stable steady paycheck would see like a better idea to me. What'd the name of the pyramid structured joint you will be working for? I know there are still a couple big ones in the area. What's the name of the one that sells products?

lordairgtar
12-25-2010, 10:27 AM
@ jBiscuit...Melaluca, Amway, Party Lites, ...and those lingerie parties.:rolf Of course easy probably got work in some IT related field.

easytoremember
12-25-2010, 11:27 AM
well last time I had a job paying 100% commission was when I was working 20 hours part time in sales and was making over 700 a week. I love commission jobs.

So all you people who's skin I got under, I find it interesting that you get offended so easily by someone you never even met. What do you do when a real problem comes up? :rolf

michelle
12-25-2010, 11:38 AM
well last time I had a job paying 100% commission was when I was working 20 hours part time in sales and was making over 700 a week. I love commission jobs.

So all you people who's skin I got under, I find it interesting that you get offended so easily by someone you never even met. What do you do when a real problem comes up? :rolf

We ask Yoo to delete our username. Duh. :durr

HITMAN
12-25-2010, 12:09 PM
What do you do when a real problem comes up? :rolf

Call up some idiot that works for free. If he solves the problem, I'll pay him what he's worth in terms of how hard of a problem it was to solve. If he doesn't solve the problem, I'll pay him what he's worth. Nothing... :loser

jimez1
12-25-2010, 12:27 PM
In answering the question as to why we all think of you as a d-bag. I can"t help but to keep thinking of your repeated statement. "why should I settle for flipping burgers?" It is not settling, it is an oppotinity. People have these jobs to provide for themselves and for thier families. It is wa source of income in a time where jobs are hard to come by and people have to make choices in thier lives to provide for thier famlies. Ther are people out thier who were big time in thier choosen profession who are now "flipping burgers" to provide. Not sucking the government teet to jump on a ipod touch for sale when they are unemployed. But to buy basic essentials just to live day to day. Oppotunity is the word you should have been using all along in all of your posts. Not settling. That is why people who do not know you think of you as a d-bag. The thought crossed my mind for these reasons anyway

pOrk
12-25-2010, 02:02 PM
All this talk about flipping burgers reminds me of a good friend of mine that started working at McDonalds in high school. He loved his job then, and 8 years later still works there. Then again, now he makes well over 6 figures a year as a regional manager for the owner of a bunch of locations. I'd say opportunity is a great word in threads like these.

Instead of telling everyone they were wrong, try and celebrate the fact you found a job and hopefully it will work out for you. Congrats, now dismount the high horse. We are mostly friends here, for some of us this is not just a message board

Voodoo Chick
12-25-2010, 04:11 PM
NO job, whether it is flipping burgers, digging ditches, scrubbing toilets, whatever, is something to be ashamed of. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, if it is an honest day's work, you should feel good about it. My job is not glamorous, it does not pay a huge amount, and I will never be looked upon as having a prestigious position. I am a dock worker, it is heavy, menial, often dirty work, but I am not ashamed of this. This thread makes me feel like maybe some people out there might view these types of jobs as "not good enough" and that kinda seems shitty. I'm glad you found a good job, and wish you the best, but please remember that us blue collar slobs out there still contribute a helluva lot, even if all we are doing is asking you if you want fries with that burger or not.

Rocket Power
12-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Call up some idiot that works for free. If he solves the problem, I'll pay him what he's worth in terms of how hard of a problem it was to solve. If he doesn't solve the problem, I'll pay him what he's worth. Nothing... :loser

:rolf

GTSLOW
12-25-2010, 04:56 PM
We ask Yoo to delete our username. Duh. :durr

:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

easytoremember
12-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Call up some idiot that works for free. If he solves the problem, I'll pay him what he's worth in terms of how hard of a problem it was to solve. If he doesn't solve the problem, I'll pay him what he's worth. Nothing..

sounds like commission to me.

In answering the question as to why we all think of you as a d-bag. I can"t help but to keep thinking of your repeated statement. "why should I settle for flipping burgers?" It is not settling, it is an oppotinity. People have these jobs to provide for themselves and for thier families. It is wa source of income in a time where jobs are hard to come by and people have to make choices in thier lives to provide for thier famlies. Ther are people out thier who were big time in thier choosen profession who are now "flipping burgers" to provide. Not sucking the government teet to jump on a ipod touch for sale when they are unemployed. But to buy basic essentials just to live day to day. Oppotunity is the word you should have been using all along in all of your posts. Not settling. That is why people who do not know you think of you as a d-bag. The thought crossed my mind for these reasons anyway

I would agree with that logic and if someone wants to call me a d bag for me thinking that flipping burgers is settling, then fine call me a d bag.

PS. I have had money saved for Christmas since the begging of the year. I wanted to buy an Ipod touch as a gift. Had the money saved, saw one for sale come up, saved money by buying it used, I don't see how unemployment enters into the equation.

Yes Unemployment money is spent on essentials, food, gas, job hunting expenses, utilities.

Savings were used on other items, cell phone, child care.

My point about the unemployment was to call attention to the fact that even though benefits allowed for people to collect up to 99 weeks, it shouldn't be thought of as everyone did. Many many people thought the extension was for people who received 99 weeks already, and it clearly wasn't true.

easytoremember
12-25-2010, 09:17 PM
I love working for Commission. I made a lot of money off of it when I did. In my last job I started out getting a share of net income, that eventually I was denied as I was able to prove the books weren't correct.

I think people should be rewarded accordingly for amount of work they do.

But of course not everything works out that way in the real world. Wasn't it in the XFL that only the winning team got paid?

jbiscuit
12-25-2010, 10:45 PM
AmWay! That's it! So is it AmWay you will be workin for then? When do you have to have 20 of your friends show up to the first informational meeting as potential sales people?

hrsp
12-25-2010, 11:48 PM
xfl flames out after 2 games.s..i still have nightmares about that...lol

PureSound15
12-26-2010, 08:40 AM
AmWay! That's it! So is it AmWay you will be workin for then? When do you have to have 20 of your friends show up to the first informational meeting as potential sales people?

:rolf

I was going to guess George S. May 'consulting', which is almost as respectable.

Commission only is sink or swim; good luck!

easytoremember
12-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Most sales jobs are sink or swim, feast or fammine, I love it and am glad to be returning to the rat race

88Nightmare
12-27-2010, 01:09 AM
100% commission jobs are tough. Gotta be a real go-getter, charismatic, and determined to win. Many people fail at them, but it seems that the few that succeed, do well with them. Best of luck in your new endeavor. I for one couldn't handle a commission only job.

easytoremember
12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Thank you.

WI_Dave
12-28-2010, 02:04 PM
All this talk about flipping burgers reminds me of a good friend of mine that started working at McDonalds in high school. He loved his job then, and 8 years later still works there. Then again, now he makes well over 6 figures a year as a regional manager for the owner of a bunch of locations. I'd say opportunity is a great word in threads like these.

Instead of telling everyone they were wrong, try and celebrate the fact you found a job and hopefully it will work out for you. Congrats, now dismount the high horse. We are mostly friends here, for some of us this is not just a message board

^^ditto

My uncle worked at McD's for awhile used their management program got his work exp. and is now a GM for a very large hotel company. He makes more than I ever will and he owes it to "flipping burgers". When your check passes his I'll ask you for advice until then Good Luck on the new job.

TheRX7Project
12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Congrats on the new job. My ex wife almost got started selling Kirby vacuums too until I told her "who the hell buys a $2000 vacuum cleaner?"

HITMAN
12-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Congrats on the new job. My ex wife almost got started selling Kirby vacuums too until I told her "who the hell buys a $2000 vacuum cleaner?"

Ask Yoo...

Got Boost
12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Most sales jobs are sink or swim, feast or fammine, I love it and am glad to be returning to the rat raceI DONT CARE...:banana1:Oh and all the people who do flip burgers for a living hope you choke on your commission:headbang

easytoremember
12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Lol, someone get this guy a cookie!

Obviously you care enough to tell us, otherwise you wouldn't have said anything.

GTSLOW
12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
This thread:

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/27842-beating_dead_horse_what.jpg

wrath
12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
I'll take my lowly salary job where I get paid regardless. And I don't have to dupe people into buying anything they don't want. Enjoy the rollercoaster and let us all know when your daily gross pay exceeds a week's full unemployment benefits.

Exitspeed
12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I was in sales for over 8 years. I managed the Bedroom Superstore on 84th and Layton for a while and then went to PM Bedroom Gallery across the street. I loved sales, but I became jaded after a while. People don't like salespeople regardless of how nice and sincere they are. At least at first. I've had people be total dicks to be and then turn around and be my best bud.

Best day in sales I ever had is when i sold a record $32,000 in one day at PM Bedroom Gallery.

Man am I glad i went back to school though and got an education and am doing what I always wanted to do though.

Good luck with the new job. Sales isn't for everyone. And it isn't always for the people it is for forever.

easytoremember
12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
thanks for all the congrats.

and for everyone asking something to the affect of "let me know when your pay exceeds $x.xx... that isn't info for anyone here to know, so don't hold your breath waiting.