PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Tuner in the area?

Rifleman WI
12-24-2010, 05:27 AM
i will be coming home for R&R leave in June, i bought a few parts for my 08 WRX that i will require a tune for. right now im running a Cobb Accessport, but its hard to find tunes for specific parts. anyone know of any Subaru tuners near the Milwaukee area? im mostly looking for an off the shelf tune, since i don't want a pro or dyno tune till i get all of my parts i want for it ( new TMIC, VF52 Swap ). thank you in advance.

Crawlin
12-24-2010, 09:18 AM
It seems since you just want an off the shelf map anyways at this point, you can do the email tunes through alot of the major vendors. No need at this point to look to the milwaukee area. Perrin seems to have a good number of maps available.

For the off the shelf map, what was making you stay around here?

Slow5oh
12-24-2010, 10:23 AM
hope you have some STi injectors or aftermarkets going with that turbo. Also there really aren't any tuners i've heard any good about around here. P and L and DS1 seems to be the best choice. There's a guy on nasioc that does data logging and will email you tunes I know i've heard some good about him.

Rifleman WI
12-24-2010, 11:11 AM
hope you have some STi injectors or aftermarkets going with that turbo. Also there really aren't any tuners i've heard any good about around here. P and L and DS1 seems to be the best choice. There's a guy on nasioc that does data logging and will email you tunes I know i've heard some good about him.

the VF52 is the stock turbo off of the 09 WRX, everything on the 08-09 were identical, exept the turbo. i know to get all i want to get out of that turbo ill have to go bigger injectors, a bigger fuel pump, better top mount and a good tune, but everything ive read so far is that with a good tune you can run that turbo just fine with the stock fuel system. i will be adding all the fuel mods with it also tho, might as well do it right the first time.

about the off the shelf tune, ive looked everywhere online and havent seen any maps for the grimm speed boost controler at all, i can check out perrins, but im running an AEM intake, i think only their tunes are for their intake..thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.

Slow5oh
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
check out clark turner he's in NAZIOC's vendor section I believe. I know someone whos car is running awesome off of his work, pretty cheap too.

Rifleman WI
12-24-2010, 12:13 PM
check out clark turner he's in NAZIOC's vendor section I believe. I know someone whos car is running awesome off of his work, pretty cheap too.

sweet, someone on nasioc suggested him too, ill have to look into it. thanks again.

Russ Jerome
12-24-2010, 06:19 PM
My interest in WRX's keeps me up all night reading but the lengths people have to go to to simply replace parts as far as tuning sounds like a PITA :(

What the hell happend to a single program for 3-bar map sensor and bigger inj/ turbo, tune thru FP? A Grand National MPFI or Chrysler MPFI can be turned up well beyond 300hp with a change in boost and fake out the ecu. I have a stand alone system for my drag car and expect headaches, dont want headaches in a DD to simply add a bigger turbo.

Is the Mitz Evo any more flexable to changes in boost level or the same story as Subies?

Slow5oh
12-24-2010, 07:32 PM
My interest in WRX's keeps me up all night reading but the lengths people have to go to to simply replace parts as far as tuning sounds like a PITA :(

What the hell happend to a single program for 3-bar map sensor and bigger inj/ turbo, tune thru FP? A Grand National MPFI or Chrysler MPFI can be turned up well beyond 300hp with a change in boost and fake out the ecu. I have a stand alone system for my drag car and expect headaches, dont want headaches in a DD to simply add a bigger turbo.

Is the Mitz Evo any more flexable to changes in boost level or the same story as Subies?

Subarus are just as tuneable as anything. Hell cobb stage 2 kit is an awesome upgrade from stock. Just like any modern turbo car it's going to need a dynotune to get the best out of it. I definitely wouldn't consider it a headache by anymeans. Look more into other peoples builds then anything. TBE, Cobb Accessport, injectors, FMIC/Big TMIC, intake and some love from P and L and you can have one hell of a car. I don't know if you've ridden in/driven an sti or anything but even in stock form it's an fun ass DD.

If you want fast then yeah an Evo is the way to go for you. More expensive insurance, shitty t case. cheaper and easy to gobs of power. Shittier ride quality, bleh interior. Take it like this, i went on an evo forum and coming from Evo owners I was told an STi is the way to go for DD.

my sti lil on ramp pull
stock 06-07 turbo 20psi, stock fuel setup, taking it easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpMDtVnZjG0

Plus good luck finding an Evo that hasn't had it's ass kicked into next tuesday.

Russ Jerome
12-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Yah the Subies sure seam to be drivers cars from a few years of dreamful researching. Just seams people are quick to say "cant run that without a tune". Its like the electronics come across as if they have no adaptive fuel trims, everything would apear to be off a base map with no changes in factory fuel/timing outside of OE map when modified. With a welding tip and a bleed I can make any Saab, Volvo or SRT4 push the rods to the brink of breaking ;)

Staying the coarse at any rate, Bugeye wagon 2.0 or 2.5 STI stripped of wing and stickers is in my near future. I'll continue to build an 8 second drag car and live with subies awesome stock power on street :)

SSLEVO
12-24-2010, 08:23 PM
All you need to tune an Evo is a computer and cable. Software is free. I'd like to see a sti run 12 flat on the stock Turbo :-P

Russ Jerome
12-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I'd like to see a sti run 12 flat on the stock Turbo :-P

Flat 12's at 120mph....guy localy had a FWD Omni running that in his DD, wasnt the original stock turbo tho :)

Crawlin
12-24-2010, 09:09 PM
funny, that's all you need on an STI as well. Open source tuning is alive and well all over the place, from my STI to my 'Busa...

As for the 12 flat...

close
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/fastest-times-forum/164359-times-keep-going-down-vf39-goes-12-1-112-a.html

does this count?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685602

another one at 11.7 too, with the VF39 old turbo, not even the newer cars

yeah those evo's are pretty quick and i probably would have got one if i was gonna mod it.

Russ Jerome
12-24-2010, 09:19 PM
High 11's and only 112, amazing 60's and pulling quick first half! ^^^^^

GTSLOW
12-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Beyond engineering or a street tune from forest. Hands down best bang for the buck.

SSLEVO
12-26-2010, 04:15 PM
funny, that's all you need on an STI as well. Open source tuning is alive and well all over the place, from my STI to my 'Busa...

As for the 12 flat...

close
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/fastest-times-forum/164359-times-keep-going-down-vf39-goes-12-1-112-a.html

does this count?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685602

another one at 11.7 too, with the VF39 old turbo, not even the newer cars

yeah those evo's are pretty quick and i probably would have got one if i was gonna mod it.

Haha, i suppose it does, not nearly as common though.

SLOWC5
12-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Check with us in a few months might be able to accommodate your AWD needs!

tommyt5078
12-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Leave it stock, if you want to be quicker get an STi, IMO.

Rifleman WI
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Leave it stock, if you want to be quicker get an STi, IMO.

i don't like hatchbacks, only option was an 08 or above for financing where i wasn't paying over $350 a month. a lightly modded WRX will suit me fine..

jakedrew
12-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Check with us in a few months might be able to accommodate your AWD needs!

good news. will have to watch for your posts :headbang