PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin justice system...

Lash
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
at work again. What a joke.

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-122110-drunk-driving,0,3176716.story

Hamilton received a six month sentence for his first OWI conviction involving a homicide, a six month suspension of his license for his second OWI, and a three year revocation for his third offense. If convicted of a 4th OWI offense, Hamilton faces up to $2,000 in fines and a year in county jail.

GTSLOW
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow :stare

TheRX7Project
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
And they wonder why we have the highest amount of DUI's in the US. Because it's a slap on the wrist. Got an OWI? Who cares, so does everyone else. We'll just give you a little fine.

lordairgtar
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm 56 and never got a OWI.

GTSLOW
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I wonder how many people on BCM have gotten a DUI/OWI?

Ricky Bobby
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
im 30 and my job depends on my license dont have any, and dont plan to get any either

TheRX7Project
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd be willing to bet close to 50%. I'd say close to 10% have more than one. I know a lot of guys who drive drunk on a weekly (or more) basis. I'm glad my favorite bar is at the end of my block, I've stayed DUI free.

pOrk
12-21-2010, 05:45 PM
1 in 4 people admit to driving drunk in wi, so I don't thing 50% is to far off.

I don't drink, so obviously no drunk driving for me. Wi justice system is a joke at best but we all know this.

03Seville
12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
im 30 and my job depends on my license dont have any, and dont plan to get any either

Same here... I'm not losing my job over something like that...

GTSLOW
12-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Letter of reprimand and at least a rank or two here. Good luck getting in with DUI's as well.

Neal Steffek
12-21-2010, 06:52 PM
The question is do you fill the jails with people who murder and rape, or people who had 1 to many on the way home from the bar.

pOrk
12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
The question is do you fill the jails with people who murder and rape, or people who had 1 to many on the way home from the bar.

You're right, its ok that people take the risk of killing innocent public road users because they are too cheap / lazy / selfish to consider taking a cab.

I am not surprised that this is coming from you, MORON.

Nix
12-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm 30 and DO NOT have any. Nor do I ever plan on getting any.

Pork, you took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

Lash
12-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Well....read the story. He did murder. 6 months in jail...probably huber too. I know people who got longer than that for some weed or petty theft.

Waver
12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Honestly, I am sure that a majority of us can honestly say that they have driven home at least buzzed. I know I have. I have never driven when I was at the point that I knew I shouldnt of been driving, thus why I havent gotten a DUI. Some of my friends, on the other hand, have gotten DUI's for stupid reasons, and they learned their lessons.

Neal Steffek
12-21-2010, 07:45 PM
You're right, its ok that people take the risk of killing innocent public road users because they are too cheap / lazy / selfish to consider taking a cab.

I am not surprised that this is coming from you, MORON.

ok, then what do you do with them then, MORON.

Well....read the story. He did murder. 6 months in jail...probably huber too. I know people who got longer than that for some weed or petty theft.

I agree he should have recieved more then 6 months the first time when he killed someone. But can't change that now, or punish him a second time for the same crime.

Also keep in mind that in WI if you have not had a DUI in ten years, if you get another one, the punishment is the same as if you get a first. So if he got the first 3 in the 90's, it has been more then 10 years. Sucks but that is the way the law is right now.

GTSLOW
12-21-2010, 07:46 PM
You can get DUI's in other states not even operating something motorized (ie a bicycle). :stare

Holeshot
12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
No DUI in my camp.

jimez1
12-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey, GTSLOW just so you know the new TAG policy is "one and done" no more LOR or busts anymore....We are playing for real now...

stenchmiester
12-21-2010, 09:36 PM
See I am ashamed too admit I have made the mistake of drinking and driving I'm currenty finishing a 6 month sentence for my 2nd offense on house arrest. I didn't kill anybody or nothing major and I still got charged with 6 months. House arrest. 19 months probation and 3k in fines. I will be one too say they need to make the dui laws stricter

GHOSST
12-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't have been able to join the military with one. 27 and no offenses in that area

Neal Steffek
12-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't have been able to join the military with one. 27 and no offenses in that area

You can't join the armed forces with a DUI? I think if you get a DUI under the age of 21 you should be FORCED into the army!

jamestown478
12-21-2010, 11:09 PM
You can get DUI's in other states not even operating something motorized (ie a bicycle). :stare

haha you can get that here too. I just read there was a guy in new berlin that got busted for riding a bike drunk.

GHOSST
12-21-2010, 11:19 PM
You can't join the armed forces with a DUI? I think if you get a DUI under the age of 21 you should be FORCED into the army!

I can't speak for the Army, but the Marines have a very strict policy on who they let in. No felony convictions whatsoever.

Now what happens after they get in? Another story.

Nix
12-21-2010, 11:20 PM
See I am ashamed too admit I have made the mistake of drinking and driving I'm currenty finishing a 6 month sentence for my 2nd offense on house arrest. I didn't kill anybody or nothing major and I still got charged with 6 months. House arrest. 19 months probation and 3k in fines. I will be one too say they need to make the dui laws stricter

I admire your honesty.

Do you believe that things have now changed and you are learning?

Im just curious, how old are you?

Being in your current position, how would you change the current law? Or what do you think they should do?

FoxStang
12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
While the laws in IL are usually crap, I like how first offense is $2500, plus $500 for any BAC above .16, and another $1000 on top of that for anyone under 18 I believe in the car with you. That's besides suspending your license and revoking your vehicle registration. Bunch of other stuff too.
Sadly these fines aren't high enough in my opinion, a DUI should financially ruin you, that's the only way you'll learn. And I don't want to hear this shit that everyone makes a mistake and you learned your lesson. If you were dumb enough to drink and drive at any point in your life you should not be allowed to drive ever again, even if there was no accident. If you enjoy drinking, then don't drive, its as easy as that. No one deserves to lose a loved one because you wanted to get a little sloshed.

PureSound15
12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't know that the fines are what scare people. What does it cost in WI to go through the DUI process in total - maybe $2000 with a lawyer?

stenchmiester
12-22-2010, 08:55 AM
What I would change to be honest is the severity of the first offense in WI your first oiffense is a municipl violaton so much like. A slap on the wrist. And learning from yes I hve learned that one night of drinking can take away my freedom I'm 25 years old sat 30 days in jail till I got released. On house asrrest and those 30 days opened my eyes to realise if I would have hit someone I wouldn't see my kids or wife for years. I have a new found respect for alchohol and don't plan on picking up a drink for a long ime

jamestown478
12-22-2010, 09:14 AM
While the laws in IL are usually crap, I like how first offense is $2500, plus $500 for any BAC above .16, and another $1000 on top of that for anyone under 18 I believe in the car with you. That's besides suspending your license and revoking your vehicle registration. Bunch of other stuff too.
Sadly these fines aren't high enough in my opinion, a DUI should financially ruin you, that's the only way you'll learn. And I don't want to hear this shit that everyone makes a mistake and you learned your lesson. If you were dumb enough to drink and drive at any point in your life you should not be allowed to drive ever again, even if there was no accident. If you enjoy drinking, then don't drive, its as easy as that. No one deserves to lose a loved one because you wanted to get a little sloshed.

I agree with you. I also think the fines should be based on your income. For some people the 2 or 3k in fines would be pocket change and wouldn't make them change their ways.

pOrk
12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
^ that's not fair.

First offense should be 5k fine and 60 days jail time. You should also hae to pay your own way in prison, so 100 bucks a week or whatever for those 60.

GTSLOW
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Hey, GTSLOW just so you know the new TAG policy is "one and done" no more LOR or busts anymore....We are playing for real now...

Whish that would be a DOD wide thing. I'm not sure if anything has changed with us active duty people.

I can't speak for the Army, but the Marines have a very strict policy on who they let in. No felony convictions whatsoever.

You can't join any branch with a felony, I can't remember a time when you could? If a felon can't carry a gun in the community they're dam well not going to with us either.

Also every branch is different when it comes to what charges you can and can not get in with. I.E. in the marines you can join with drug charges. Where as the Army has a zero tolerance policy even something as simple as a paraphernalia charge.

You can, but there's certain limitations... I.E. time since offense, time between offenses, other charges, etc.

GTSLOW
12-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Hat's off for being honest. I hope everything works out for the best.

jimez1
12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Actually what I have found out is that it very well could be an active duty thing as well. They will not let you go after your conviction but when your re-enlistment comes up it will not be approved.

GHOSST
12-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I.E. in the marines you can join with drug charges. Where as the Army has a zero tolerance policy even something as simple as a paraphernalia charge.

You can, but there's certain limitations... I.E. time since offense, time between offenses, other charges, etc.

HANDS DOWN the Marines is one of the hardest branches to get into on paper. Army actually implementing zero tolerance? Dont make me laugh. We all know the Army has the least strict policies out of all the branches.

GTSLOW
12-22-2010, 07:36 PM
HANDS DOWN the Marines is one of the hardest branches to get into on paper. Army actually implementing zero tolerance? Dont make me laugh. We all know the Army has the least strict policies out of all the branches.

We as in??? You obviously don't know much.

Oh and btw I'm good friends with a few Marine recruiters we do swaps all the time, someone can't get in for this but we can for that. Hands down the Air Force is the hardest branch to get into currently (this doesn't include ANG as the states can bend rules as needed).

jamestown478
12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
^ that's not fair.

First offense should be 5k fine and 60 days jail time. You should also hae to pay your own way in prison, so 100 bucks a week or whatever for those 60.

how is that not fair? The fine/punishment you get should have the same impact on you if your rich or your poor or in between.

Rifleman WI
12-22-2010, 09:42 PM

NO, because we have enough idiots here that get DUI'S WHILE IN THE ARMY, 2 or 3 times over....

We have Waivers for everything......

GTSLOW
12-22-2010, 09:56 PM
AR 601-210 look for the Jan 2010 copy, the thing chances every day but that is the most recently published.

Oh and to ghosst, last I checked the marines are even taking DAT waivers. That's when a kid goes to the MEPS pisses hot for a drug waits 6 months and joins the marines.

GHOSST
12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
AR 601-210 look for the Jan 2010 copy, the thing chances every day but that is the most recently published.

Oh and to ghosst, last I checked the marines are even taking DAT waivers. That's when a kid goes to the MEPS pisses hot for a drug waits 6 months and joins the marines.

I'll agree, Air Force is the hardest "Academically". And I know about the MEPS process, but using has nothing to do with charges or convictions. Marines? Hahaha, I got recruiters on speed dial, and a 25 year in MGySgt former recruiter I could call but I'm not going to bother him over this crap. I'm just shootin my knowledge from my experience, and how things are supposed to be. Are there shady practices that go on? Sure.

GTSLOW
12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Boy did this thread get off track. :goof. Anywho all I'm saying is things have changed a lot from 5 10 however many years ago. Every branch has their own policies on law charges, afqt scores, and education levels doesn't make any one better than the other.