PDA

View Full Version : bye bye 4th gear :-(

easytoremember
12-20-2010, 10:14 AM
So driving (http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=5468305&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1#) to work today the trans slipped out of 4th gear cruising about 70 and just reved. So I put the selector in 3rd and made it to work ok. I have to drive 40 miles back to the hotel tonight, then 40 to work, then 150 home tomorrow. Think I'll make it? It's a dynotech built trans with some goodies in it.

I stopped and checked the fluid, really dirty and burned smell. There's about 20k on the fluid, not sure how many miles on the trans itself.

Thoughts on problem?

Anyone got a Grand (http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=5468305&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1#) Prix GT for sale by chance?

twicks69
12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Well, I wouldn't drive it, but that's me. I hope you have AAA gold membership, otherwise, I would suggest that you get yourself one today vefore making the drive back.

BAD LS1
12-20-2010, 11:33 AM
keep it in manual 3rd and you can probably make it to where it needs to go. How do you smoke 4th gear in an n/a grand prix? lol

easytoremember
12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
n/a grand prix
lol, my gp is not na.

its a 96 L67 gtp with some stuff here and there :banana

heads, cam, ic, headers, exhaust, trans, to name a few.

BAD LS1
12-20-2010, 11:54 AM
lol, my gp is not na.

its a 96 L67 gtp with some stuff here and there :banana

heads, cam, ic, headers, exhaust, trans, to name a few.

I guess doing WOT up through 4th isnt advisable where there is like 4 frics and steels only:goof

easytoremember
12-20-2010, 12:04 PM
frics and steels only
? not sure what that means...

This car has been pretty good to me, gotta love the 4t65 trans :fire

wish I could fit in a 4t80

BAD LS1
12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
it means there is not the same out of clutch linings in 4th as oppsoed to the rest of the trans to deal with anything like WOT torque, esp from a modded motor. 4T65EHD is a decent trans if modded properly and care is taken not to abuse it like it owes one money. The stock trans lived just fine in my V8 monte SS for the 40k i put on it and it was a low low 13 sec car. But with seeing as it did 100 in 2nd gear, i never had a chance to get going fast enough for 4th to see any WOT abuse.

easytoremember
12-20-2010, 12:26 PM
it means there is not the same out of clutch linings in 4th as oppsoed to the rest of the trans to deal with anything like WOT torque, esp from a modded motor.

i didn't know that... thanks for the info...

so if driving today in 3rd seemed ok... then again as I think about it, when it first happened, and I shifted it to 3rd the car slowed down to about 56, so i just held it there for about 10 miles, and IIRC the RPS were about 2500 or so, then they fell to 2300 after about 10 miles. then going back to about 2500 it got up to 70... thoughts on that?

BR3W CITY
12-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I would usually blame a slipping convertor for the roaming rpm's.
The last line made it sound like the car started to "catch up" a bit after you got it into 3rd and started cruising. Not really sure what would cause the 4th gear issue though, since I don't think the converter could cause you to lose use of a gear.

BAD LS1
12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
i didn't know that... thanks for the info...

so if driving today in 3rd seemed ok... then again as I think about it, when it first happened, and I shifted it to 3rd the car slowed down to about 56, so i just held it there for about 10 miles, and IIRC the RPS were about 2500 or so, then they fell to 2300 after about 10 miles. then going back to about 2500 it got up to 70... thoughts on that?

The torque converter will still lock in 3rd, so that would account for the RPM drop after. But the converter lock up logic is MPH/TPS based and if there is shit fluid and trash running through everything, i could see the TC lockup solenoid not wanting to be imidiate or consistent. A truck i had worked on had a built 4L65E in it, would lock the TC whenver it felt like and would ignore the locigc in the PCM and my manual commands to lock it from HPT and come to find out the tras was fubared and there was a bunch of trash circulating around from a bad TC torington bearing.

But this is a chicken or egg thing, im betting that 4th gear clutches are smoked and the grit is causing erratic TCC lockup because the solenoid screen is partially plugged. Be careful though as the TC clutch will be the next thing to fail if full fluid pressure is not getting to it to apply the piston fully.

easytoremember
12-20-2010, 01:01 PM
thanks for the info, I'm out in Fennimore Wisconsin and am staying in Prarie du Chien, then have to drive back to milwaukee. Also from Fennimore to Madison there is pretty much nothing but farms for miles, so If I break down, it's a long cold walk to the nearest farm house and praying someone is home...

Ricky Bobby
12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
u need to get AAA like stated i have it, have had it for yrs 100mi free towing + other stuff wont leave without it

hope u can limp it home in time for christmas

FoxStang
12-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, I wouldn't drive it, but that's me. I hope you have AAA gold membership, otherwise, I would suggest that you get yourself one today vefore making the drive back.
Gotta be careful with this though, they charge you full price for the tows if its within the waiting period which I believe is 3 days, therefore making it useless to you tomorrow or the next few days.

easytoremember
12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
good to know about the waiting period... anyway I got a buddy who can bring the truck and trailer and come get me if necessary...

BR3W CITY
12-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I do have to give +1 to AAA. I hate any annual service, but this one is the biggest CYA in your wallet. I have the AAA Gold, i think its 150mi towing radius, but you can do more than 1 tow in a day. Heard people using AAA to flatbed to the track and then calling for a pickup later but never had the balls to try it myself.

easytoremember
12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
i do a lot of traveling and I'm always asked at the hotels if i have AAA... i should sign up. how much is it?

lordairgtar
12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
If I break down, it's a long cold walk to the nearest farm house and praying someone is home...
Or hope they don't great you with a shotgun.
they ask for that card sometimes because there might be discounts available to you...maybe like 10%.

Ricky Bobby
12-20-2010, 05:57 PM
i have the rv plus i believe 100mi of towing included and 5 tows a yr plus some other stuff like gas and tire changes i believe mine for me and the wife its just over a $100 a yr i also get a discount from my work

BadAzzGTA89
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
No 4th gear is a classic sign of stripped splines on the 4th clutch shaft

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/Upgrades.html
This is a new aftermarket 4th Clutch hub/shaft. The spines on the end are heat treated to prevent them from wearing and stripping out which is a very big problem in these transmissions and will cause no 4th gear. GM started using heat treated shafts around 2003, so if your trans is older it will not have this and is highly recommended to install during a rebuild.

easytoremember
12-24-2010, 02:45 PM
update....

so the past couple days, fourth gear returned! But sometimes the 1-2 shift is delayed, sticking if you will.

thoughts? Bad fluid clogging up the valve body?

STANMAN
12-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Just keep driving it, it will clear itself right up. By "clearing itself right up" I mean stop working 100%.:rolf

BAD LS1
12-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Lol yeah it's the adaptive self healing function of that turbo encabulator at work.

On a more serious note, It's certain death looms around the corner, just a matter of when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easytoremember
12-24-2010, 08:21 PM
It's 100% on the way out.

Running earands today. I had 4th gear, but at one point, no reverse untill 3000rpms, then no 1st till 3000rpms, but once it got going it was fine. Then drove about 2 miles to target, it sat for about 20 minutes, then it was 100% fine...

Thought... bad fluid clogging the valve body? or bad valve body?

No codes are showing...

ps I'm in the market for a 98-03 midnight blue metalic Grand Prix GT for a DD. I don't want a GTP since I'll be putting a boat load of miles on it.

95mustang302
12-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Too bad your not looking for a GTP, My parents are selling theirs and its exactly what you want...

I would just go for the GTP, with all the miles you might as well enjoy them...

easytoremember
12-25-2010, 09:24 PM
how much $ pics?