PDA

View Full Version : UK Top Gear question

STANMAN
12-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Are they always that hard on American cars? I just started watching and they tested the ZR1 and they were not kind. Granted, it was actually falling apart during the test but they were just BRUTAL.

Taetsch Z-24
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Ours and cars from AU, Clarkson loves saying cars from the "colonies"

lilws6
12-19-2010, 10:44 AM
there not nice to any cars that i was aware of??? oh and is that the one where they drive the zr1 around and set car alarms off? :rolf

BR3W CITY
12-19-2010, 10:58 AM
for how much they end up hating, Clarkson LOVES corvettes. Look at any other episode invloving US cars, he heads for a 'vette everytime if given the option.
I think we gotta keep in mind that many of our cars (from size, power, mileage, whatever) don't really *fit* with what the uk audience likes/wants/drives.
That said, they do over-hype alot of brands. Aston Martin was often nuthugged on the show, although lately they have been much harder on its newer offerings.

That_Guy
12-19-2010, 10:59 AM
They loved the cadi ctsv.

British_Ben
12-19-2010, 12:09 PM
They are generally hard on America/American cars (rightfully so..? :goof). But they did love the CTS V and 6.0 GTO/VXR. Hammond is a Mustang fanatic, I think he owns an older one.

Clarkson does like Corvettes, but will be hard on anything that gives him a reason to be hard on it. Clarkson owned a Ford GT at one point and it gave him so many issues that he got rid of it, so he has some pretty strong opinions on that as well.

spooln30
12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I just watched the Top Gear test of the ZR1 and it looked like he loved it. Which episode is the one where they hate it and it falls apart. Watching the Brit TG reminded me how much more I like their version. The US one just sucks ass.

FoxStang
12-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Doesn't he end up saying the ZR1 is one of the best cars he's driven, pretty sure he compliments the fat men from Kentucky who built it...

With that said they bash everything American, in an older episode they even threw a GT500 on a dyno to show that it didn't make 500hp at the wheels. To the ignorant audience, making the car look purposely poor performing, but with loss factored into the equation it was looking like more than 500 bhp, they didn't say anything though. Plus they hate the live axle.

Its pretty comical though, and you kind of have to laugh since none of them are remotely mechanically inclined by any stretch of the imagination.

Todd Z
12-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Clarkson picked the ZR1 as his car of the year in 2009. Doesn't matter how good it is they will let you know about any and all negatives.

spooln30
12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I will agree with him as to the cheap quality of American cars, especially the interiors. Plain ans simple GARBAGE!!

STANMAN
12-19-2010, 05:21 PM
The episode I watched he did end up "liking" it, but as he was driving it the seat belt retention device came off, he made fun of it being plastic (pushing the trunk and watching it flex) and whined about the interior in general. Then ended up saying that he loved driving it. It's just funny watching a show that will actually put a car down, even when deservedly so.

Waver
12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Didn't clarkson end up buying 2 ford gt's?

Josepy
12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Clarkson tested the Zr1 in the US and in the UK. Loved it in the US and not as much in the UK. But yes he does like them. I could care less how they rip on any cars. There so damn funny.

TransAm12sec
12-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Good episode.

http://www.tu.tv/videos/top-gear-corvette-zr1-dodge-challenger

"My foot slipped off the clutch?!?"

jbiscuit
12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
The show is so well done. The UK version I mean. The US version is still complete fail IMO even after a few episodes. No chemistry with the hosts, some of the segments are poorly shot and edited, the jokes and Tanner jokes are terrible and I actually fin myself bored watching it this far.

My favorite UK episode is the one where they try to kill the Toyota pickup. Great shots, great editing, great music selection and very entertaining.

FoxStang
12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
The show is so well done. The UK version I mean. The US version is still complete fail IMO even after a few episodes. No chemistry with the hosts, some of the segments are poorly shot and edited, the jokes and Tanner jokes are terrible and I actually fin myself bored watching it this far.

My favorite UK episode is the one where they try to kill the Toyota pickup. Great shots, great editing, great music selection and very entertaining.

This is so spot on, because TG UK was awesome the first season right out of the box.

*Sarcasm for those of you who didn't catch it*

jbiscuit
12-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Ok answer me this smart guy...how many episodes does the show get to "get good?" 20? 40? Lol The show is weak plain and simple. I want it to be good I really do. A witty car show with good camera work and a good, entertaining group of hosts would be great. How many episodes does this take to achieve? TV shows sometimes only get a few episodes(pilot) to test the viewers out there. So it's critical to nail your formula early, plain and simple!

FoxStang
12-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Ok answer me this smart guy...how many episodes does the show get to "get good?" 20? 40? Lol The show is weak plain and simple. I want it to be good I really do. A witty car show with good camera work and a good, entertaining group of hosts would be great. How many episodes does this take to achieve? TV shows sometimes only get a few episodes(pilot) to test the viewers out there. So it's critical to nail your formula early, plain and simple!

Which is why its such a shame that they're trying to imitate TP UK so much, they should just let it develop into its own show. Not that its likely given how quickly a show will be yanked nowadays. I find the TP US to actually be kind of entertaining in its own way, sure Adam Farrera is really douche like, but I don't think the rest of the show is all that bad. Then again I'm not comparing it to TP UK. The US doesn't have any auto shows like this, given a little more time to run I would really like to see what it could become.

I'm gonna continue to watch both, I really do like the off location segments the UK version does with cheapo cars, to me the most interesting of them all.

jbiscuit
12-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Well said...I too hope it can stay around awhile even if it's a bit boring at times just cuz it's a car show in the winter here. So it's something to watch if anything.

Al
12-19-2010, 10:32 PM
The US one just sucks ass.

If you look at the original BBC Top Gear, it is no better than the current US version. I hope the US one develops on par.

I saw the episode where they have the Evo and the Skiiers and I thought it was pretty good. I really liked the camera work. I just simply lacked the Clarkson wit.

On Topic...
Clarksons final words on the ZR1 sounded pretty good in the US epidsode.

xxtremeteam
12-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I hope somewhere down the road they invite the uk guys to be on the us version in some sort of challenge

FoxStang
12-19-2010, 10:38 PM
I hope somewhere down the road they invite the uk guys to be on the us version in some sort of challenge
If its anything like the one UK and AUS had, UK will be terrible cheaters.

xxtremeteam
12-19-2010, 10:41 PM
If its anything like the one UK and AUS had, UK will be terrible cheaters.

still think it would be good