PDA

View Full Version : lokking for 80's MC ss

IWantAnMCss
07-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey I'm looking for a monte carlo ss that runs decent and the body is in decent shape. I've got about 4 grand to spend. If anyone knows of anything in the area let me know. thanks.

PB86MCSS
07-28-2004, 09:33 PM
There was one for sale off of Beloit and National in New Berlin...but not worth 4k. Not sure if its still there, had over 100k on it and had a little bit of rust....

Usually there are a few for sale in summer but I haven't noticed that many this year off hand.

For 4k be picky, you can get a very nice SS for that if you are careful. Just find a rust free one that runs well...I'm assuming you won't be keeping it stock anyways :D. Either way, just getting a clean body/frame is key. Mechanical stuff is easy :).

I went to NM for my LS and would do it again. 100% rust free naturally. My SS is from WI and was driven in winters most its life and needed rust repair, ask lotsals1 ;). I would not do that again unless the car was dirt cheap and worth fixing.

I would suggest looking down south too. Its worth traveling spending a plane ticket and some gas or maybe to haul it(I'd drive it back) for a clean body. Plus clean cars down south aren't as pricey as ones here generally. Lots of ones around here are rusty....and for 4k I would definately NOT buy one with any rust on it at all.

Any year or options you are looking for? What are your plans?

IWantAnMCss
07-29-2004, 01:41 PM
thanks for the info. I've been looking on ebay but most are really expensive. For the shape some of these cars are in they sure want alot of money for them. I would drive to get one if I was sure it would get me home and I got a deal on it. The ones on ebay in my price range don't look so nice, most are beat to hell and not taken care of.
well as for my plans I really don't have any. I want it to run because until i'm done with college I don't think I'll be able to do any mods. After school I want to throw a 350 or maybe a 383 in it. While in school I'll probably get some new rims and fix any rust and get it painted. I can probably get a good deal on paint cause I now a guy who does it.
As of year or options I really don't care. All I really want are bucket seats. I like the aerocoupe but could care less if it wasn't one. To sum it up as of options I'm not very picky as long as the car is in good shape.
If you see anything around let me know.
thanks

PB86MCSS
07-29-2004, 03:07 PM
If you find anything around here I could help you check the car out if you want. I'm not old but have had a few of these cars and seen my fair share over the last handful of years.

Like I said, I'd max out that 4k and get the best one possible and for 4k you should not settle on one with any rust at all....

Burgandy85SS
07-29-2004, 07:03 PM
I saw one two weeks ago in the autoseller (the free one) that was at a dealer on 107th and Hampton called Super Service. It was an Silver 86 with T-Tops Power Windows locks bucket seats. I usually would have driven past it just for curiosity sake but had no time to The asking price was 4995.00 but thats just asking. I will keep my eyes open if I see anything.

IWantAnMCss
07-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Cool I'll have to check out that lot tommorrow. And thanks for the help. I am on a tight budget as I have a shitty job and have to pay for school. Whats your guys insurance like on these things. I am 20 and have a clean driving record. Just curious.

PB86MCSS
07-30-2004, 12:25 AM
Depends on your record, if you are on your parents plan and the company probably. Since your record is clean thats a big help. On your parents insurance plan?

I got my SS when I was 18(24 now) and never paid a ton on it, for full coverage. The LS is the same....I don't think the SS is much more if any than the LS or SC models. Currently I pay about $300 or so for 3 months and thats full coverage on both Montes...

I used to pay a good bit more, and will again soon since I got a speeding ticket :mad: .

Are you planning on buying a beater for winter? It would be a real good idea and investment. I'd hate to buy a clean car and see it exposed to salt :puppyeyes .

There is a guy in Missouri who I met briefly at the NMCOA(National Monte Carlo Owners Association) convention in 2003 who is selling one of his SS's, a 85'. Its black with burgandy interior, new paint(rust free car and a good paint job not Maaco ;) ), 2" cowl hood, 86-88 wheels and dash trim and 87-88 tailights/bumper with a 350 swapped in and a few other mods, very nice car.

He was asking $5,000 which is a very good price IMO for what the car has, all it needs is a few more mods, nothing body or paint wise and probably nothing interior wise either. If you could save up more or maybe meet him halfway in price, just an idea...

Oh yea, alot of good information can be found at www.montecarloss.com if you haven't checked it out already.

IWantAnMCss
07-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I am on my parents plan. Also I have a 200 dodge dakota that I will trade to my dad for his 94 toyota camry and some cash if I get the car

PB86MCSS
07-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Another thing is if/when you get one, get at least comprehensive on your insurance. Covers theft and if a tree falls on it, etc...its pretty cheap and definately worth it. Also a theft deterent or two...I've seen a good amount of theft recovered ones around here in junkyards or people parted out eventually after recovery as well as many others online who had them taken :(. Without anything they are very simple to take like most older GM cars.

IWantAnMCss
07-30-2004, 02:33 PM
I saw an 84 ss silver today on my way home from the gas station. Its on 27th between layton and edgerton by the target on the west side of the road. he wanted 4500 for it. A little steap because the body was a little ruff. They started body work on it as parts were bondoed and there was wisible rust around doors and wheel wells.
Also I think it needs new weather stripping, how much would this cost?
Didn't say how many miles were on it. I might call later today if he would come down on the price I might think about it.

IWantAnMCss
07-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey pb86mcss you mentioned that someone was selling an ss from missouri. I have one question is the engine reliable enough to be able to drive it home.

PB86MCSS
07-30-2004, 03:04 PM
I do believe it is....he drove the car enough, there are no problems with it I'm sure. Check the classifieds on that site and go back a lil' bit..he has it posted awhile ago. Feel free to e-mail him for more info. He has his 87'SS as a toy and a new MCSS for a daily so this SS has to go...

For 5k for that car and 4.5k for a bondo'd one here, thats an easy choice. Dont bother buying one with any bondo :wow . Run as far as you can....keep thinking rust free :). Check wheelwells, frame rails and the floor pans for rust...very common areas. For 4k if you see any rust, walk away....seriously :). You'll be happy you did. Body work is $$$ and headaches. Learn to be picky about the rust stuff. I'd much rather have a straight and rust free car with bad paint than a car with a newer paint job thats covering up rot and bondo too.

He lives somewhat close to St. Louis I believe, so its only a 7-8 hour drive really. Pretty close comparatively! I drove 20+ hours one way for my LS. I'd seriously consider it, unless you find a really good deal closer.

Burgandy85SS
07-30-2004, 11:18 PM
I also agree keep away from anything with large amounts of rust since if not repaired properly it will always return.
Good luck on the search and be patient the right one will be out there.

PB86MCSS
08-08-2004, 05:09 PM
There is a 86'SS *from Florida* with a 350 in the paper for $3,800....sounds like its worth a look. :shades

DirtyMax
08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
There is a blue SS sitting in front of a house on Greenfield Avenue in Brookfield. Not sure of the address but it's between Calhoun and Barker on the South side of the road. It's been sitting out there for at least a couple of months. Didn't look too terrible....

Rocket Power
08-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Looks like you beat me to it. I saw the one on Greenfield Ave too. I like that color blue. I didn't stop, had the family with me.

IWantAnMCss
08-11-2004, 10:31 PM
I'll have 6to check them out on sunday. I'm going out of town and thats when I'll be back. Also decided to broaden my searches and add an upper 80's early 90's camaro also. Whatever I can find for the cheapest and best quality I'm gonna get. Haven't had much luck with the MC ss as they are pretty expensive and hard to find.

PB86MCSS
08-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Don't give up hope. They aren't rare, but compared to a 3rd gen f-body then I suppose they are :D. There are plenty around....just have to look. I really suggest broadening the search to the whole country(at least the south and midwest since its close), it really is worth it to travel for the right car. Especially to avoid rust. Ever contact the owner with the car in Missouri? That is only a 7 hour drive or so, might be more than you want to spend but it sure seems like a good deal.

IWantAnMCss
08-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Well I guy I now has his dad looking in arizona for me. Haven't had much luck in wisconsin. There were two in the paper this past weekend one was really expensive and the otherperson I couldn't get a hold of. Have you guys seen anything.

PB86MCSS
08-25-2004, 03:52 PM
There is a 86' SS off of Woods Rd. in Muskego for sale...passed by it this afternoon and on my way back it was gone. Right across from the High School, silver with burgandy bench seat interior....very nice shape. I have seen it around before and it was at the July 4th Holz show I believe....has some stuff done to it but nothing major it appears. They are asking $6,500 obo...might be worth the time to look at and maybe negotiate :). Pretty clean car.

IWantAnMCss
08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
I'll have to go check it out but its about $1500 out of my price range. I never thought it would be this tough to find one. But I'd rather be patient and get a nice one rather than a piece of ****. Thanks for the heads up.

PB86MCSS
08-25-2004, 11:53 PM
No problem...you are right, don't settle wait for the right one...it will come. I don't know how long this guys been selling it but its obo and I'm sure they would come down $500-1000 or so...money talks.

IWantAnMCss
08-26-2004, 12:27 AM
I'm going to look at it tommorrow, along with one on greenfield ave. near moorland. One of my buddies gave me a heads up on that one he said it looked good from the road but that doesn't say much. Any of you guys seen this one. Oh yeah the one on greenfield is blue, it must be a rare color because I don't see many of these.

IWantAnMCss
08-26-2004, 12:29 AM
hey Pb86 I've been meaning to tell ya the ss in your sig is pretty sweet. Are those 17" torq thrust, and how much of a drop did you do?

PB86MCSS
08-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks, yep they are 17x8 TT2's....Eibach springs and 12" brakes in front using b-body spindles which also drops it a half inch about.

I saw the one off of Greenfield Ave....it is now in the front yard and it looks like they are working on it or something....but if I was you I'd still go to the house and ask...looked good from the road, if that means anything. Did'nt see the one off of Woods Road again today....the house its at has a black older Lumina parked next to the garage.....I'd also go to that door too and ask :D.

IWantAnMCss
08-27-2004, 01:14 PM
I went last night to look for the one on greenfield and couldn't find it. Me and my buddy must have drove up and down greenfield near moorland about 20 times but we didn't see anything. Do you remember exactly where it was?

PB86MCSS
08-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Its on the western part of Greenfield Ave right before you get into Waukesha kind of...on the south side of the road, and it is parked in the yard so you'll have to look for it....I remember the area is full of trees too so keep them eyes peeled :).

DirtyMax
08-27-2004, 04:38 PM
That was seriously the first time that car has moved in over 4 months. They probably moved it to mow the lawn before they lost it in the weeds.

It's on Greenfield between Calhoun and Barker. It's on a hilly section of road and like PB sais, on the south side. You WILL miss the driveway the first time so just find it first and turn around with your game plan. Good luck.. hope you find something you like

IWantAnMCss
08-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Well I found the one on greenfield. It looks really nice but doesn't look like its for sale anymore. No one was home when I stopped today. Are you guys sure this one was up for sale?

PB86MCSS
09-18-2004, 03:02 PM
There is one in the paper for $4,000 with a 383....seems interesting, HTH.

IWantAnMCss
09-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I'll have to go to my buddies house and steal his paper. I bet the body is trashed for that price

PB86MCSS
09-20-2004, 03:48 PM
You never know. A friend of mines brother in law sold his SS(right before I was in the market for one 6 years ago) for $4,500 or so and it had 85k miles and a nice 383 put in, body was very nice supposedly. People *usually* don't put in a nice motor(assuming its not a hack job) in a rusted out POS...food for thought.

IWantAnMCss
09-20-2004, 05:41 PM
I guess your right. I have to find the paper so I can get the guys #. I won't be able to check it out until friday night so hopefully he doesn't sell it by then.

limpimpg
09-22-2004, 12:12 AM
theres a 88 monte carlo @ bouchers in waukesha hwy 18 with only ad says 1,500 actual miles on asking 14,995.00 for it.

IWantAnMCss
09-22-2004, 05:16 PM
That is way out of my price range as I am a poor college student. Sometimes I wish my parents were rich, cause if they were i'd be driving that thing right now.

limpimpg
09-22-2004, 05:39 PM
oh well figured would throw it in.

IWantAnMCss
09-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Thats cool. I appreciate the heads up. MY pops also talked me into looking at a 60's buick skylark grand sport if I can find one.

limpimpg
09-26-2004, 02:52 AM
this friday drove by a looked like 85-88 monte painted blue had no engine or trans. looked good from the road. it is on hwy 45 just 5 mins from ill. asking 2100 obo. don't know how much work you want to do to it?see if i can get number next time i go that way.

IWantAnMCss
09-26-2004, 09:55 PM
So anyone know how much a engine and trany for this car will run. The stock 305 would be fine

PB86MCSS
09-27-2004, 01:59 AM
You can get running/driving 305's for cheap, even High Output 305's(L69's).

There are 3 SS's in todays MJS, one is $3k, the other two are 2k or so....one is listed in the Oldsmobile section as they list an Olds first, then a MCSS and another car or so....the 3k one sounds nice, at least worth looking into. This might be the right time to buy certain types of cars since its fall, prices should be lower.

IWantAnMCss
09-28-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm gonna take a look at the one for 3k if thats the white one on friday. Haven't had to much time to go look at cars the last two weeks, been kinda bus. I have noticed a few in the paper though. Another thing is if it is a nice car I won't be able to offer anything b/c my mom might be getiing layed off this week so I'll have to help my parents out with bills and such.

PB86MCSS
10-04-2004, 03:36 PM
The one SS by Muskego High School is back out on the lawn of the house with the for sale sign on it. The phone number is 1-262-679-7469...its on Woods Road across from the football field, shouldn't miss it. Asking $6,500 yet, same peice of paper they had in the car when I saw it last time, but its obo and since its fall I'm sure the price will come down.

limpimpg
10-10-2004, 10:07 AM
today went by a dealership had a 1984 monte ss white with looked like red inside, said only 73,000 orginal miles looked clean.here phone number if you want to call 847-838-2010 .asking 5300 or obo. its just over wis/ill line on hwy 45.also just down the road from the blue monte without engine.

PB86MCSS
10-18-2004, 11:17 PM
For those keeping score at home, the SS for sale I've seen by MHS with the phone number provided has been parked at the BP in Muskego off Janesville and Lannon Rd for a week or so...still there.

IWantAnMCss
11-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Guy has one listed in for sale part of this board. Its an 85 with a 350 in it and 64,000 miles. He wants 3500 for it so if he says its clean I may go check it out. Hopefully it is cause I'm sick of lookin and only finding POS's.