PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers out for tonight !

Holeshot
12-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Well it looks like with quarterbacks in the NFC north dropping like flies . the Bears will take the division. Can Flynn pull this one off at NE ? Seen weirder shit happen. :wow

jbiscuit
12-19-2010, 08:18 AM
I hope Flynn has a killer day to show all the fans he can play. But having your starting QB out that know the offense the best etc is gonna hurt. I think the Pack's hope of playoff games are done. Too bad cuz it was a pretty good season for them overall

Lash
12-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Packers are gonna get pounded. Would have even with Rodgers in.

Prince Valiant
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
the upside as I see it is that they've probably prepared flynn with play and set's that the patriots haven't seen, scouted, nor prepared for...and in the NFL, I don't care who you are, if you dont scout and scheme for an incoming team, it's gonna hurt.

that's not to say they'll win...it's not even to say that's what they definitely done. But there is a reason why back-ups tend to do okay for a little while...

but I'm not even going to watch too closely today :(

Lash
12-19-2010, 09:55 AM
It's no secret that the Packers run game sucks. Plan of attack? Pass x 10, run, pass x 10, run, pass x 10. They're gonna put pressure on him to say the least.

jbiscuit
12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
if they pressure Flynn even a little he'll throw a couple picks today and that combined with our stellar running game should make for a blowout

Lash
12-19-2010, 10:30 AM
if they pressure Flynn even a little he'll throw a couple picks today and that combined with our stellar running game should make for a blowout

It's what I'm expecting.

Prince Valiant
12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Plan of attack? Pass x 10, run, pass x 10, run, pass x 10.
I would highly doubt you'll see the typical play calling w/ flynn in there if simply to keep him from being exposed to hits/sacks and protect him from injury. Plus, no one is so unimaginative as to think that flynn has any chance of running the packers passing game the way rodgers does.

My guess is that few of the formations will look or sound familiar. Probably more dual tight end sets, more receivers lined up close to the line, more emphasis on receivers outright blocking rather than trying to draw defenders away and opening up the field...and then the occasional attempt to spring someone behind the safety for a deep ball to keep them honest...I don't expect a woody hayes type game where the qb might attempt 2-3 passes...but I'd be surprised to see flynn attempt more than 28 passes even given that they'd likely be down in score and needing the pass.

it'll be a boring game to watch with an attempt to simply try to control the ball with as few turnovers as possible with ultra safe play calling, a game of field position primarily (If this was a highschool game, you'd expect to see "quick kicks" left and right)...and of course, trying to keep brady off the field as much as possible.

But the reality is that the packer D will have to either score, and/or limit the patriots to no more than 2 TD's to have a shot of winning...but this is unlikely. Patriots should have no trouble getting up early, and then this will reduce the opportunities that the packers D will have to create or even happen upon a turnover.

Even given the current spread of 14pts, the patriots are a safe pick for the money. In horse betting I'd say the odds would be 7:1 of the pack winning.

Not 1,000,000:1 odds mind you...but not that good. But ^that's^ the reason I won't watch it too closely...if the patriots win, it'll likely be ugly or a blow-out. If the pack wins, it will be tedious and ugly ugly ugly.

GTSLOW
12-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Look what brady did when he came out as a backup. Not saying flynn will be the same but you never know.

Lash
12-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Aaron who?
The game isn't close to being over yet but Matt looks pretty damn good...lol.

0TransAm0
12-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Aaron who?
The game isn't close to being over yet but Matt looks pretty damn good...lol.

Agreed!

That_Guy
12-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Dear lord is this a game... if our defense steps it up... we could make it happen.

spooln30
12-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Here we go guys. Were in it for the fucking win! Go pack!

Firefighter Z
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Flynn fail!

Prince Valiant
12-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Pissed...great that matt flynn played well...but he was no arron rodgers.

Need the mother f'n bears to lose tomorrow...

OxmanWI
12-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Flynn fail!

Not bad for a NFL first start.

VroomPshhTsi
12-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Can the Packers just get blown out? Makes watching them a lot less stressful.

Check out GB's point differential (best in NFC):
http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings
If only this lead to victories.

Yooformula
12-19-2010, 10:43 PM
that sucks! what a shitty way to lose but a great game though!

GTSLOW
12-19-2010, 10:55 PM
A great game to watch none the less!

DynoTom
12-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I have to say that I put zero wins on the poll for the packs last games but, if Flynn is playing them I want to change that to 1 or 2 wins.....I wonder if AR will be cleared to play the next game , if so I will stick with my zero wins for the rest of the games....I REALLY think Flynn will become a GREAT player !

4I Notch
12-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I was not expecting much from Flynn, but he really impressed me. Had to be pretty intimidating for him to have his first start against the Patriots. With a little more experience I also think he will be a good QB.

flyin_blue_egg
12-19-2010, 11:57 PM
I have to say that I put zero wins on the poll for the packs last games but, if Flynn is playing them I want to change that to 1 or 2 wins.....I wonder if AR will be cleared to play the next game , if so I will stick with my zero wins for the rest of the games....I REALLY think Flynn will become a GREAT player !

Please tell me you're drunk so you have an excuse for the stupidity you just posted. You really think that the packers have a better chance of winning the last two games w/ Flynn as the starter over AR??????? :rolf:rolf:goof:goof Lay off the drugs buddy. Flynn may have played decent today but the last 2 mins. shows the inexperience that he has and will have for a long time to come. I'm not saying that w/ AR playing today the pack win, but I do konw that the last 2 mins of the game would've been managed a lot better.

DynoTom
12-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Please tell me you're drunk so you have an excuse for the stupidity you just posted. You really think that the packers have a better chance of winning the last two games w/ Flynn as the starter over AR??????? :rolf:rolf:goof:goof Lay off the drugs buddy. Flynn may have played decent today but the last 2 mins. shows the inexperience that he has and will have for a long time to come. I'm not saying that w/ AR playing today the pack win, but I do konw that the last 2 mins of the game would've been managed a lot better.

We shall see! Plenty of back up QB's went on to become GREAT players.

PB86MCSS
12-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Another 3-4 point loss. If that damn Rodgers could just be a "winner" and win these close gam...oh wait.

Flynn looked solid for a first start in that environment. Held the ball too long on many plays but can you expect any more? Defense played tough for awhile. I didn't expect this kind of game, glad to see they came prepared and ready to play as opposed to last week.

I haven't looked into tie-breakers but if the Packers win the last two I'd think they are in, since they'd have the advantage over the Giants on head to head.

DynoTom
12-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Matt Flynn was making his first National Football League start -- think about that for a moment. He was doing it against what is probably the best team in the NFL right now. On the road. Against Tom Brady -- a future Hall of Fame quarterback. Bill Belichick -- a future Hall of Fame coach known for his defense.

spooln30
12-20-2010, 12:51 AM
How embarassing the way Flynn looked and his actions on that last play. You can't even call it a play. Wait what should I do? Time out, oh we have none. Ok I'll just run the play where I get sacked and fumble. Yea, oh yea I really like that one. We had that game. If we would have won, that game would have been the game and upset of this season. Funny when the Offense LM almost ran the kickoff back for the TD. When they said he looked like a small kid holding a really large ball had me rolling. Great game even tho we lost. Good job to the whole team ESP Flynn

GTSLOW
12-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Look at all the back up quarter backs and starters that flynn out performed today! He may be inexperienced but he certainly played well. Looked like our run game was going for once, and hats off to kuhn!

Yooformula
12-20-2010, 03:21 AM
way too many fylnn swingers already! The game was close and good yes, but I would say alot had to do with the Patriots not being able to prepare for Flynn! There is probably NO game tape at all to watch and learn from so he was a mystery to them as far as game play goes. He wont be that lucky again although it was a fun game to watch. The Pats study qb game tape HARD and the worst thing for them is a qb that hasnt taken a single snap.

Lash
12-20-2010, 05:10 AM
He ALMOST wins 1 games a some of you guys think he's the greatest ever.

Wow.

Prince Valiant
12-20-2010, 08:11 AM
flynn was serviceable at best. Really...he is a decent game manager. But he's too small, too weak an arm, and doesn't have enough tools to make it as consistent starter in the NFL.

Just as I had said earlier, it's not unusual to come in for a back-up to come in and make a short-term impact (recall anthony dilweg came in for a couple exciting turns) due to the fact that no one has prepared for you, and they generally run a different look that defenses have not scouted yet; flynn's performance didn't suggest anything more than that from what I saw last night.

BR3W CITY
12-20-2010, 09:18 AM
I'll give him credit for as well as he did. I've seen worse from starters on certain days. I don't think hell ever grow into a starting job, but I think given the situation he's better than nothing. Hey, its the NFL, if you can get that far in a game against a very good team (regardless of tape, experience etc), you must be at least doing a few things well.

PB86MCSS
12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
His arm is weaker for sure, I don't know if I agree on the game prep thing too much though. He played most of a game vs Detroit and it looked pretty similar vs the Pats plus it's not like he's Vick coming in for Kolb, hes a pocket passer with a weaker arm than Rodgers and maybe a little less mobile. They obviously tried running the ball more but the passing game was similar enough. The Pats might of come out a little flat too.

flyin_blue_egg
12-20-2010, 11:55 AM
We shall see! Plenty of back up QB's went on to become GREAT players.

Yea AR and Favre fall into that mold. I'm not saying Flynn won't become a great QB down the road. What I'm saying is the pack have a MUCH better chance to win games w/ AR then w/ Flynn. Like I said Flynn looked great most of the game, but his inexperience reared it's ugly head on that last play. AR would have called a quick play to get the 1st down (prob would've had the play called before the ball got spotted by the ref), spiked the ball and then went for the winning TD all in the same amount of time. Flynn however having not played in that situation ever bearly got one play off and it didn't work.

flyin_blue_egg
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
flynn was serviceable at best. Really...he is a decent game manager. But he's too small, too weak an arm, and doesn't have enough tools to make it as consistent starter in the NFL.

Just as I had said earlier, it's not unusual to come in for a back-up to come in and make a short-term impact (recall anthony dilweg came in for a couple exciting turns) due to the fact that no one has prepared for you, and they generally run a different look that defenses have not scouted yet; flynn's performance didn't suggest anything more than that from what I saw last night.

Problem w/ that logic is that most everyone knew that AR wasn't going to play this week. Even though they didn't announce it until Thursday, it's his 2nd concussion of the year so they weren't going to let him back as easily as last time. This is Belicek we're talking about, he had his team preparing for both AR and Flynn.

WI_Dave
12-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Excellent game to watch. I fully expected a blowout and was glad to see it stay close. If the defense was that focused the rest of the year we may have had a few less losses. O line looked way better than last week.

Prince Valiant
12-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Problem w/ that logic is that most everyone knew that AR wasn't going to play this week. Even though they didn't announce it until Thursday, it's his 2nd concussion of the year so they weren't going to let him back as easily as last time. This is Belicek we're talking about, he had his team preparing for both AR and Flynn.And the problem with that logic is that anyone knew what a game plan centered around flynn would look like.

Yep, most were pretty sure that flynn would be the one playing...but no one had anything beyond best guesses as to what the plan of attack using flynn in the back-up role would exactly look like. The good thing is the packers had more flexibility given that he's been around a couple years so has a more than decent grasp of the offense. He got to take most every snap in practice, so he certainly looked sharper and more in sync with the rest of the team than he did in his time against the lions.

He's an NFL qb, no doubt...but in terms of back-ups, he's no Burnell, hasselbeck, or Brooks...he might be better compared to a Ty Detmer type in that there are probably teams he could start for, but only as a serviceable starter.

If anything surprised me was the relatively strong play of the Oline against a strong Dline...where was that last week?

GHOSST
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Flynn can lick balls for all I care. As a backup you should strive to take the starters spot! 3 years in, nows your time to shine, and you lose 2 in a row. Way to step up dude. Why solidify that backup Q/B position? Yea yea he almost took it to the pats, but what if Rogers was at the helm? His chemistry is a lot better with Jennings and Driver and Jones. Our running game was the best I've seen in weeks! Yea the pats had injuries on D, so what. We would have won hands down if Rogers was in. Even given our crappy special teams...

badass88gt
12-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Armchair QB's make me laugh. Everyone is an expert.

flyin_blue_egg
12-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Flynn can lick balls for all I care. As a backup you should strive to take the starters spot! 3 years in, nows your time to shine, and you lose 2 in a row. Way to step up dude. Why solidify that backup Q/B position? Yea yea he almost took it to the pats, but what if Rogers was at the helm? His chemistry is a lot better with Jennings and Driver and Jones. Our running game was the best I've seen in weeks! Yea the pats had injuries on D, so what. We would have won hands down if Rogers was in. Even given our crappy special teams...

Really??? B/c he was prepared to play against Det!! NO!!! Plus the team was already struggleing when Flynn came into that game. There's the Jennings drop that led to an INT and many other short commings. Hell the pack were supposed to get blown the fvck out agaisnt the pats and they almost won the damn game (W/ THE BACKUP QB!!!) Flynn played really good against them until the last min. when his inexperience really showed.