PDA

View Full Version : Radiator stop leak.....

Car Guy
12-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I am looking for the 'best' radiator stop leak on the market to use in my van. By 'best' I mean the most effective with the lowest chance of restricting passages. The side tank seal has a small leak and I need to top off the coolant every week or two with a half-ish gallon. I know the best solution is a new radiator but this van is truly a beater with a heater and spending $100 is something I would rather not do.....

I used Bar's Leaks heavy duty stop leak (black in color with what looks like pellets similar to rabbit food) on a 'gusher' and was shocked how well it worked for almost three years. The only downside is the coolant system became very nasty and the heater core slowly lost its effectiveness. I would rather not use the heavy duty version in my van after completely flushing the cooling system and replacing the heater core a few weeks ago. I am not concerned about the green coolant changing color but am about the cooling system looking like gross black pudding inside and the new heater core loosing effectiveness. This van is 22 years old and has marginal heat to begin with.....

Please post up if you have experience with other versions or other brands of stop leak......

:thumbsup

juicedimpss
12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
what kinda van is it? I have a plastic tank radiator from a chevy truck that could be yours for like $20

Car Guy
12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
what kinda van is it?

`88 Ford Aerostar.....

Ricky Bobby
12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
if its a beater try an egg if its a small enough leak, it sounds weird but i did it in a demo rad i had laying around ran that rad for 3yrs before i wrapped it around my water pump cheap and worked for me even the mythbusters approved it :rolf

SmokinRAM114
12-14-2010, 06:39 PM
^ if this was face book, that comment would be "liked"! LOL

Reverend Cooper
12-14-2010, 06:42 PM
bahrs stop leak

Car Guy
12-14-2010, 07:45 PM
if its a beater try an egg if its a small enough leak, it sounds weird but i did it in a demo rad i had laying around ran that rad for 3yrs before i wrapped it around my water pump cheap and worked for me even the mythbusters approved it :rolf

Never heard of this.....:confused

jamestown478
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Never heard of this.....:confused
I heard a lot of the older "muscle" car guys used to use that method on their older cars.

lordairgtar
12-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I think any stop leak is a compromise between repair and restricted passages. It seem they all go and settle in the heater core. My suggestion would be to use Aluma-Seal. It's a powdery substance. If possible, route one heater hose back to the block to bypass the core. Run engine with radiator cap off till good and hot. Add the Aluma-Seal (or whatever you decide to use) and let it do its work. Drive car for a couple of days. I know driving with no heat is a pain but it will be worth it. After a couple of days, partially drain coolant and add new coolant, Re-attach hose to heater assembly. This will avoid most of the deposits from accumulating in the heater core. Make sure air has been removed from system.

spooln30
12-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Am with the "EGG" when I was living down in Chicago my radiator had a good size leak. The closest store where I was stuck was a Mini mart and they didn't have any stop leak. Three eggs later and some water and it lasted for a week until I was able to fix it. With working and going to school I just didn't have to time. I'm willing to bet it would have lasted longer but I didn't want to chance it. This happened in the middle of summer so it will last and if it can last under 90* heat it should last in winter, I would think. If your gonna go with a real stop leak use the tablets. They seem to work the best when I have helped friends in a jam. Good luck.