PDA

View Full Version : who all uses traction control

LEWETHETIGER73
12-13-2010, 06:45 AM
just wondering how many of you drive with traction control on or off in the snow. I prefer it off all the time.

shoooo32
12-13-2010, 06:58 AM
depends on where I'm going and who's in the car... :devil

SCHM1AN
12-13-2010, 07:05 AM
I don't have traction control!

animal
12-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Depends on the car and the situation. It's easier to get going with it on, but usually as soon as I'm going about 10-15 i turn it off in snow. If im stuck or going up a hill, i turn it off. Snow tires seem to bite more when they spin a little.

Somehow though, i have a 2004 gt stang with no abs or t/c lol. It was supposed to be a standard option.

SSLEVO
12-13-2010, 07:53 AM
I normally leave it on in my civic, it just spins way too easily. I think i need some snow tires, lol.

Silver86
12-13-2010, 07:57 AM
no T/c in the xterra (wasnt an option)

and in the mustang its usually stays on... the roads by me are usually horrable and nothing but packed down ice... if i didnt have it on, i wouldnt get anywhere.

-stew-
12-13-2010, 08:00 AM
You mean like ladder bars!?!?!?

Sprayaway Fox
12-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Traction control=Right foot

0TransAm0
12-13-2010, 08:58 AM
In my car it gets turned off before I even put my belt on. In my truck it stays on. Unless I put it in 4 wheel drive.

GTSLOW
12-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I turn it off on the suv and the passat doesnt have it.

animal
12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
and in the mustang its usually stays on... the roads by me are usually horrable and nothing but packed down ice... if i didnt have it on, i wouldnt get anywhere.

There's never been a place I couldn't get with my no-t/c stang, ice, snow, or otherwise.

Silver86
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
There's never been a place I couldn't get with my no-t/c stang, ice, snow, or otherwise.

maybe i just suck at driving it then...the gas pedal just doesnt feel right... maybe its not smooth enough or maybe it doesnt have the weight... not sure. its my wifes car anyways.

animal
12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
maybe i just suck at driving it then...the gas pedal just doesnt feel right... maybe its not smooth enough or maybe it doesnt have the weight... not sure. its my wifes car anyways.

Well snow tires are a must on a stang. My wife said her 06 stang was the best winter car she ever had.

Getting going on ice or other winter conditions ain't bad tho, you just kinda rev the gas in 2nd gear and countersteer. She'll get goin :)

Prince Valiant
12-13-2010, 10:34 AM
It's on...only if I found myself in a deep snow situation that I needed to power out of, -OR- I'm just going to have fun with it, do I take it off.

I will say, I'm fairly impressed with the stability control it has, how well it does keeping one in line in the slick stuff...put it into an understeer/oversteer type situation and the stabilty control starts groaning, clicking, pulsing and it brings the car in line without much drama...

Slow5oh
12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
not me

awd ftw

Rocket Power
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
The traction control on my old achieva sucked. The one time I needed it while going up a hill in winter it just kept taking away power until I rolled backwards down the hill.
On my old 94 GP it had a second gear start switch, just as useless

flyin_blue_egg
12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
depends on where I'm going and who's in the car... :devil

I'm with him....only the wifes car has it. So when she's in the car w/ me it's on.....but when she's not.....

PureSound15
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Off - I don't know why, I guess I like the feeling of control and knowing that I don't try to turn while braking/accelerating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nismodave
12-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Off...Works better for my car in snow. On in the rain tho.

SCHM1AN
12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
AWD is a dream in snow. That, and a little counter-steer action is all I need

FoxStang
12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
AWD is a dream in snow. That, and a little counter-steer action is all I need
Stock tired STi's and Spec B's I've driven in the snow say otherwise :goof, loads of fun though! AWD cars with snow tires are pretty awesome.

lordairgtar
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
My 07 HHR did not have it, my 2010 HHR does. I am trying it and I will see how I like it. It feels kind of rachety in the gas and brake pedal and the tires only slip for a bit until it transfers to another wheel.

Slow5oh
12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
:( wish i had traction control.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/quick93fox/2010-12-13_08-46-11_123.jpg

SCHM1AN
12-13-2010, 06:46 PM
oops... sorry to see that. One question though: why were you doing it in broad daylight?

Teufelhunden
12-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I drive with the ESP on even with the snows so I may concentrate on texting.

Sent from my vastly superior iPhone 4, using Tapatalk

Slow Joe
12-13-2010, 07:19 PM
My 07 HHR did not have it, my 2010 HHR does. I am trying it and I will see how I like it. It feels kind of rachety in the gas and brake pedal and the tires only slip for a bit until it transfers to another wheel.

Does your '10 HHR have a Traction Control button? My '07 only be used without T/C in 1st gear (downshift to 1st and it turns it off), and personally I don't see why to disengage it anyways...

Both mine and Kristie's Saabs have ESP, which is a bit different than traction control. I see no reason to turn that off either. Both cars drive much better with it on in the snow, it honestly makes it almost impossible to spin the car around, or slide it sideways. Which I guess if you're trying to you'd want to turn it off... :rolf

Slow5oh
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
oops... sorry to see that. One question though: why were you doing it in broad daylight?

Because we were out of power I went to mcd for breakfast then just drove around for an hour or so. I have bald potenzas and traction on the plowed streets was bad. Most of it was on accident. These people called in saying I was driving wreckless and doing donuts in front of their house so I got hunted down and pulled over. Explained everything to the cop who was pretty interested in the sti he said he looked for donut marks and never saw any bc I never did any and now I get to fight it in court

BAD LS1
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
The TC in my saturn sucks, even though it was the first of its kind in the saturn line up let alone the rest of GM to incorporate the ABS into applying the front brakes along with power cut to manage wheel spin. Its usually results in alot of noise and it nosing over lol. It works better with the weathermasters to keep the wheel speed up which self cleans the treads.

The Enclave has a TC system that actually seems to work well where it doesn't practically stall the vehicle. It does allow slow but steady acceleration no matter what you do with the go pedal. I guess since its a Buick after all, the TC never really shuts off as if you turn it off, it will still intervene if you lace into it hard. I suspect it works as part of the stabilitrak since the front end usually drifts out and thats when it buzzes up.

Prince Valiant
12-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, the compass has got ESP/TC, even w/ the AWD you can get it to kick in on acceleration...but the effect in the AWD compass is mild; it'll spin a touch, depower a little, but go along pretty smoothly. I should put it on a steep/icy hill and try each setting and if there is a difference or not.

w/o the TC on, I can get it to accelerate pretty good spinning the tires...it crabs out to the right pretty smartly.

Does your '10 HHR have a Traction Control button? My '07 only be used without T/C in 1st gear (downshift to 1st and it turns it off), and personally I don't see why to disengage it anyways...

Both mine and Kristie's Saabs have ESP, which is a bit different than traction control. I see no reason to turn that off either. Both cars drive much better with it on in the snow, it honestly makes it almost impossible to spin the car around, or slide it sideways. Which I guess if you're trying to you'd want to turn it off... :rolf
As far as disengaging TC, sometimes it's helpful to let the tires spin...

I help get a pontiac grand prix out w/ TC...the guy was high centered on a small snow bank. Anytime he tried to go get out, the TC just depowered/braked him until the car did nothing. He had bee trying to get out for about 10 minutes when I came along (it was at the granville dogpark). Turned the TC off, a little rocking rotating the wheel left and right...and once it started moving, just hammered down to keep the speed up enough to get the rest of the car off/through the plowed bank.

SSLEVO
12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Because we were out of power I went to mcd for breakfast then just drove around for an hour or so. I have bald potenzas and traction on the plowed streets was bad. Most of it was on accident. These people called in saying I was driving wreckless and doing donuts in front of their house so I got hunted down and pulled over. Explained everything to the cop who was pretty interested in the sti he said he looked for donut marks and never saw any bc I never did any and now I get to fight it in court

LOL, i also live in west bend and went to mcd's since the power was out, bombed around a bit in the wife's envoy for a while.

GHOSST
12-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I take mine back! The bimmer always bogs out when the traction control is on! Absolutely hate it in the snow!

SCHM1AN
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Ohh, i thought you were being facetious when you were saying that you wished you had traction control. I thought you were just dicking around in some parking lot

lordairgtar
12-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Yes, it has the button on the dash. I'm leaving it on to see how well it works. So far no issues.

Slow Joe
12-14-2010, 07:11 PM
As far as disengaging TC, sometimes it's helpful to let the tires spin...

I help get a pontiac grand prix out w/ TC...the guy was high centered on a small snow bank. Anytime he tried to go get out, the TC just depowered/braked him until the car did nothing. He had bee trying to get out for about 10 minutes when I came along (it was at the granville dogpark). Turned the TC off, a little rocking rotating the wheel left and right...and once it started moving, just hammered down to keep the speed up enough to get the rest of the car off/through the plowed bank.

Yeah, no I understand that. I just meant at speeds above 10-15mph...

drrodder
12-19-2010, 07:20 PM
OFF, My V8 works better spinning the tires and cleaning the treds out to get going.

GTSLOW
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Ouch! :(

Silver86
12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
drove the stang all this past week with the t/c off... i am now a believer... t/c is off any time i am driving.

floaters
12-20-2010, 10:37 AM
on with snow tires works wonders in the lexus!

lilws6
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
What is traction control???

Rocket Power
12-20-2010, 12:41 PM

Looks like you need self control ,not traction control:goof

WI_Dave
12-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Unless I want to play I leave it on now that pcm is re-tuned, but before that I turned it off cause the stock programming pulled fuel causing lean conditions.

lilws6
12-20-2010, 01:50 PM
last time it snowed i drifted the whole parking lot leaving work it was quite fun. then my exhaust fell off :)

deuceWI
12-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I leave mine on in my Speed3 most of the time for boring commuting, and find it almost necessary in the snow or ice.

The magical nannies in the ECU do a decent job of preventing the front tires from just spinning up as soon as boost starts to build. It's actually quite impressive to watch the computer do the work in snow or on ice when mashing my foot to the floor and driving along without too much slipping or sliding.

For spirited driving and/or tracktime, it has to be off.

Rocket Power
12-21-2010, 02:20 PM
The only Traction control I use now:goof

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7283&d=1292962802