PDA

View Full Version : standoff on 94.... overkill?

easytoremember
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/witi-121010-94-westbound-closure-story,0,409688.story?track=rss

it's 2 people in a stolen SUV. I lost count of how many swat trucks, assult rifles, etc they have out...

Now I'm not a cop (thank God) but am I the only one looking at this and thinking it's a bit much?
hope it all ends safe for all.

03Seville
12-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I agree but at the same time I guess if you have ther man power available you might as well have them out there.

That_Guy
12-10-2010, 08:47 AM
There can never be enough guns and back up. You don't know who those guys are and what they are packing. Remember the hollywood shoot out? That seemed to be a typicall bank robbery.
Theses guys clearly wanted to get away. The chase ended but that doesn't mean its over. These criminals will act out like a dog being backed into a corner.
Stop being a blubbering pussy and come to terms with reality. The world is not all hand shakes and high fives.

easytoremember
12-10-2010, 08:51 AM
The chase ended but that doesn't mean its over. These criminals will act out like a dog being backed into a corner.
Stop being a blubbering pussy and come to terms with reality. The world is not all hand shakes and high fives.

it wasn't a chase. at 430am it started with a stalled vehicle and the suspects wouldn't come out of the vehicle.

blubbering pussy?? from asking if people think this is overkill? Wow.... get offended much? lol

That_Guy
12-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't get offened at all. I just wanted to start out my day calling somebody a blubbering pussy.

That_Guy
12-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Also I feel they should shoot both the driver and passenger and drag the explorer off the road. Screwing up peoples morning commute is a crime in its self.

easytoremember
12-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't get offened at all. I just wanted to start out my day calling somebody a blubbering pussy.

glad I woke up then :banana1:

Also I feel they should shoot both the driver and passenger and drag the explorer off the road. Screwing up peoples morning commute is a crime in its self.

I would agree 100% on it. Sniper on clybourn at 18th would have a perfect shot at em.

It should be

Cops: Get out of the car

suspect: ...

Cops Get out of the car

Cops after the 1st hour: Get out of the car or I'll shoot you.

Cops: bang

done.

But then we'd have jessie jackson all over it saying it was a racial shooting.

Yooformula
12-10-2010, 09:26 AM
it is overkill! why not just take a shot at them and end it already...4 hours? really? for a stolen car with a gun? why do they allow this shit to affect the general public? if they are pieces of garbage that steal property and have a gun with them doing so, chances are they arent model citizens. they dont have to kill em YET, but damm already take a shot and end this mess.

That_Guy
12-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Break the back window and release the dogs..

EvolvedRegal
12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Tear gas, or pepper ball the hell out of the air vents.

xxtremeteam
12-10-2010, 09:56 AM
how the hell can this still be going on?

That_Guy
12-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Its over they broke the window and tear gassed these fools!

That_Guy
12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Side note if I was the sheriff I would leave them ly in the middle of the road cuffed and let traffic run them over.

EvolvedRegal
12-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Hah, called that one.

Prince Valiant
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Well, I guess I'd see it as not only is swat better armed...but better protected as well, trained in using nonlethal and lethal means to deal with difficult situations better than the typical cop.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Shoot em and pushem off the interstate with Da'Hoe and get traffic movin.

flyin_blue_egg
12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/witi-121010-94-westbound-closure-story,0,409688.story?track=rss

it's 2 people in a stolen SUV. I lost count of how many swat trucks, assult rifles, etc they have out...

Now I'm not a cop (thank God) but am I the only one looking at this and thinking it's a bit much?
hope it all ends safe for all.

I work in the criminal justice field and the way we see it a "fight" is NEVER fair. By that I mean if they show up with 10 we show up w/ 100. Like someone said you don't know what they have in terms of weapons, or what they are on in terms of drugs (a lot of drugs make you do stupid things and make you not feel pain). If you were to be in the position of one of the officers there and a guy pulled out say a high powered machine gun. Would you want to be in a reg. police uniform trying to take him out w/ a hand gun? Or in full swat gear w/ a high powered machine gun of your own?? I know what my choice would be.

flyin_blue_egg
12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
it is overkill! why not just take a shot at them and end it already...4 hours? really? for a stolen car with a gun? why do they allow this shit to affect the general public? if they are pieces of garbage that steal property and have a gun with them doing so, chances are they arent model citizens. they dont have to kill em YET, but damm already take a shot and end this mess.

Well most of the officers there wanted to do this. You gotta deal with that slippery slope known as ethics. Yes it sucks and at times it seems to give the benifit to the criminals who don't have any. But if you just start shooting in my eyes you're no better then the person you're shooting at.

SLOWC5
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
A sniper would only fire two bullets, very simple. Who sides with criminals, shoot those people too :)

FoxStang
12-10-2010, 12:00 PM
This sucks because they'll cost us money if we throw em in jail, and if we shoot them, the litigation will cost craploads too. You can't win, society has become too soft.

SSLEVO
12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
A sniper would only fire two bullets, very simple. Who sides with criminals, shoot those people too :)

What if your wife/girlfriend/child was kidnaped and was in the passenger seat? They had no way of knowing who was inside.

I do think they should have teargassed them out after an hour though...

SLOWC5
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
The hostage had a gun also?

SSLEVO
12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
The hostage had a gun also?

Lol, i wasn't aware they both had guns...

Al
12-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I thought about this all day.

I think the police made a very good call in how they handled the situation. They could have pulled out the pepper spray an hour or two earlier, but they still accomplished the task. We should also be happy that the police operated in such a responsible manner. If either of those two were injured due to poor judgment or acting outside of protocol, the fallout would have been much worse than this.

xxsn0blindxx
12-10-2010, 11:52 PM
According to the news the police weren't sure if the passenger was an accomplice or hostage and they didn't know if there were kids in the back, hence all the caution. Apparently the driver waved a gun clip at the cops and that's what triggered the standoff.

Z28Envy
12-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Should have negotiated like the chinese do!

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2008/03/hostage-negotiations-chinese-style/

spooln30
12-11-2010, 02:32 AM
I bet the guns they had were bought from Badger Gun Shop! Hahaha. Then say there was a shoot out and Cop (God Forbid) got wounded, Badger would be shut down on the spot. Crazy world man. Would suck to be in that cold ass truck for that long ass time.

lilws6
12-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Should have negotiated like the chinese do!

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2008/03/hostage-negotiations-chinese-style/

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

i'm in total agreeance with yoo give em an hour and take cover and give em a warning shot in the car somewhere around them. they sat in the car because they knew the police wouldn't do that. i know i'de damn well get out of a car thats geting bullets thrown at it.