PDA

View Full Version : U.S. to Require Rear-View Video on Cars

TransAm12sec
12-07-2010, 07:12 PM
By JOSH MITCHELL

WASHINGTON—The Obama administration moved Friday to effectively require all passenger cars and buses to be equipped with rear-view video cameras to help prevent fatalities caused when drivers back over a child hidden in the blind spot behind a vehicle.

The technology, already offered in some models in the U.S., involves a small camera attached to the back of a car that sends a live video feed to a display mounted in the dashboard or rear-view mirror. It is designed to give drivers a broader view as they back out of a parking spot or driveway.

Regulators say they are trying to prevent incidents such as a 2002 crash that killed two-year-old Cameron Gulbransen of New York when his father backed up his car and accidentally drove over the boy in the family driveway. Congress passed legislation in 2008 named after the boy to require the administration to draft new rules on rear-view visibility.

The Transportation Department proposal, which would begin to affect new cars built after September 2012, would expand the required field of view for all cars, pickup trucks, minivans and buses. Regulators said they believe car makers will install rear-mounted video cameras to meet the requirements.

Such technology currently boosts the price of a car by as much as $200. But administration officials said the added cost is justified because the technology could potentially halve the number of deaths and injuries each year attributed to "back over" crashes, currently at about 207 and 15,446, respectively. Such crashes disproportionately affect children and elderly people.

"There is no more tragic accident than for a parent or caregiver to back out of a garage or driveway and kill or injure an undetected child playing behind the vehicle," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement announcing the new rules.

Car makers such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Ford Motor Co. have already begun offering the technology in some models. Ford said Friday that nearly all models under the Ford and Lincoln brands would offer the technology by the end of next year.

The rule could cost the auto industry between $1.9 billion and $2.7 billion a year, according to regulators' estimates, unless auto makers can pass along the expense to consumers. But the industry is reluctant to vigorously oppose a proposal to prevent deadly accidents involving children.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, the industry's main trade group, said it was reviewing the proposed rules. "Given that our top priority is keeping people—especially children—safe in and around autos, the Alliance looks forward to working with regulators to ensure that, in the end, we have enhancements that saves lives and improves safety," read a statement by the group, whose members include General Motors Co., Ford, Chrysler Group LLC and Toyota.

The rules would be phased in starting in 2012 and would apply to all cars manufactured after Sept. 1, 2014.

Write to Josh Mitchell at joshua.mitchell@dowjones.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703350104575653082102716698.html?m od=WSJ_auto_IndustryCollection

VroomPshhTsi
12-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Even with a backup camera, there will still be "back over" injuries and deaths.

Plum Crazy
12-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I like the backup camera. Very handy on cars with shitty rear windows, like Jeep Commanders. Also makes backing up to a trailer easier on pickups. Most of Chryslers midline and highline vehicles have this as an option.

pOrk
12-07-2010, 08:07 PM
More CRAP legislation

Reverend Cooper
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
My God does anyone take accountability anymore for their own actions?
maybe the car makers can just send a professional driver with each purchase

FoxStang
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I've driven tons of cars with them, and I still use the mirrors more because everything is somewhat distorted in them.

jbiscuit
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I have one on my Tacoma. Works well and I can agree the field of view is super wide. Though I would have to say if you check the camera's feed before backing up you should be able to see a lil guy behind the car. It's not a cure-all but I can see why they want them on all new cars. Anything to improve safety is a worthwhile exploration. If this is mandatory for the automakers to implement, how much will it hurt them financially?

FoxStang
12-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I have one on my Tacoma. Works well and I can agree the field of view is super wide. Though I would have to say if you check the camera's feed before backing up you should be able to see a lil guy behind the car. It's not a cure-all but I can see why they want them on all new cars. Anything to improve safety is a worthwhile exploration. If this is mandatory for the automakers to implement, how much will it hurt them financially?

The rule could cost the auto industry between $1.9 billion and $2.7 billion a year, according to regulators' estimates, unless auto makers can pass along the expense to consumers. But the industry is reluctant to vigorously oppose a proposal to prevent deadly accidents involving children.

GTSLOW
12-07-2010, 08:32 PM

:rolf nice one coop. But seriously like everyone said, more shit being shoved down everyone's throats. Clearly where the govt. shouldn't be.

Yooformula
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
This wont hurt automakers one bit financially....it will hurt the purchaser of the car that has to pay the 20X upcharge for the mandatory backup camera. I love using them on cars that have them but since mine dont, the mirrors, the horn and common sense work damm good for me!

Ricky Bobby
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
this wont hurt automakers one bit financially....it will hurt the purchaser of the car that has to pay the 20x upcharge for the mandatory backup camera. I love using them on cars that have them but since mine dont, the mirrors, the horn and common sense work damm good for me!

this!!

Slow Joe
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
This wont hurt automakers one bit financially....it will hurt the purchaser of the car that has to pay the 20X upcharge for the mandatory backup camera. I love using them on cars that have them but since mine dont, the mirrors, the horn and common sense work damm good for me!

Exactly. The price of the car will just go up. They did when they added air bags. I'm willing to bet they did when they had more than just lap belts. Etc.

Personally I'm suprised that ABS and Traction Control isn't mandatory looking at this.

Plum Crazy
12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Exactly. The price of the car will just go up. They did when they added air bags. I'm willing to bet they did when they had more than just lap belts. Etc.

Personally I'm suprised that ABS and Traction Control isn't mandatory looking at this.

All vehicles sold in the US will be required to have some type of traction control as of June 1 2012

Slow Joe
12-07-2010, 10:27 PM
All vehicles sold in the US will be required to have some type of traction control as of June 1 2012

I missed that one... :rolf

Were we bitching about too that when it was announced?

WhatsADSM
12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
FWIW got one in my murano... worth every penny.

Slow Joe
12-07-2010, 11:12 PM
We had one on our Town & Country rental van in Mexico... It was actually nice to have.

drrodder
12-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Another Government force down my throat issue. Try driving a 20's or 30's anything with those little windows and you'll see how easy any of today's cars are to back up. Don’t get me wrong, I like the back up camera's and technology; just don't want it forced at me. I'd prefer it as an option.

Taetsch Z-24
12-19-2010, 07:49 PM
So, dose this mean all the hmmwv have to have them too?
(as our issue GM Impalas did not need to be emission complaint too)

Strange how we (the private sector) grows faster and stronger with less govie control...

Car Guy
12-20-2010, 12:08 AM
More CRAP legislation

This and this.....

scaleracer
12-20-2010, 12:45 AM
It's good to try to prevent accidents but if people pay attention and use common sense we wouldn't need all this stupid bs!

SSDude
12-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
More CRAP legislation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post

This and this.....

Welcome to the Nanny state. Gubment directing our every move in life.

wrath
12-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I have rear park assist on my truck. It's pretty handy because I don't have to look at anything, it's all auditory plus visual on the right rear pillar. That should be sufficient. The rear camera is just another distraction. I guess it's great for douchebags that never turn their head.

Voodoo Chick
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Why do they even make cars with steering wheels anymore? Seems people are now too dumb/lazy/busy texting to actually drive, so why even bother? Shocking how cars were available for decades without being idiot-proofed and people got on just fine with them. They now have a billion air bags, parallel park themselves, back up cameras, gps.......wtf. I can't help but be disgusted. Just learn to actually drive the goddamn thing.

FoxStang
12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Why do they even make cars with steering wheels anymore? Seems people are now too dumb/lazy/busy texting to actually drive, so why even bother? Shocking how cars were available for decades without being idiot-proofed and people got on just fine with them. They now have a billion air bags, parallel park themselves, back up cameras, gps.......wtf. I can't help but be disgusted. Just learn to actually drive the goddamn thing.

To be fair we've come very far in safety advancements, collisions that would have surely killed you 30 years ago can be experienced with minimal injuries. I wouldn't discount all safety equipment, just the stuff that makes us lazier and more complacent.

lordairgtar
12-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Although I appreciate the advances in technology, why can't we just make the obtaining of a drivers license harder? European drivers tests are more difficult than ours. At least we don't have the easy test like in India. They just have to know how to start a car, find the turn signal and blow the horn.

SCHM1AN
12-20-2010, 04:56 PM
whatever happened to using.your.eyes ??

Some people out there just have to ruin it for everyone. I personally don't find a backup camera necessary. I'm fully able to turn myself around and see how close I am to whatever is behind me.

Also, how much is this going to add to the cost of new cars?

FoxStang
12-20-2010, 05:36 PM
whatever happened to using.your.eyes ??

Some people out there just have to ruin it for everyone. I personally don't find a backup camera necessary. I'm fully able to turn myself around and see how close I am to whatever is behind me.

Also, how much is this going to add to the cost of new cars?
Reading comprehension fail, x2

Such technology currently boosts the price of a car by as much as $200. But administration officials said the added cost is justified because the technology could potentially halve the number of deaths and injuries each year attributed to "back over" crashes, currently at about 207 and 15,446, respectively. Such crashes disproportionately affect children and elderly people.