PDA

View Full Version : Going to be a great winter!

spooln30
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Well guys I decided to get a pair of snow tires for my Legacy. I bought a pair of Kum-Ho's this past winter. Even tho my Legacy is AWD I noticed that my traction was very good but it could be better. This was mainly due to my rear tires were almost to their wear tabs. It did make the car very fun to drive. Especially going around corners. Instead of paying $68 per tire for the Kumho's I went with a pair of MasterCraft Glacier Grip 2's for $59 each. I did some research on them and they seem to stack up pretty good compared to the way more expensive well know snow tires. I did find out that MasterCraft tires are made by Cooper Tires USA. I only will use these in winter of course as I have summer tires. Haven't mounted them yet I kinda want to wait a little for some snow. I will post my thoughts on these tires just in case anyone is looking for some snow tires and don't want to pay a arm and a leg. So you can say I will be super happy when we get a good snow fall. BTW the size is
185-70-14 if anyone will be asking.

Keith

lordairgtar
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I bought a Kum Ho once...more like rented...and 20 minutes later I was out $50.:devil

spooln30
12-02-2010, 12:08 AM
That's not good. Don't mind me asking but what happened? The all season Kumho's I have are actually pretty good tires. They have about 12k miles from last winter to mid summer and they are wearing even, not noisy, no pulling and great grip in all types of weather. I have owned Kumho's on my Supra and I don't remember which model they were but they sucked balls. I do know they weren't the super cheap ones. They were the top of the Kumho line. Super noisy, shitty grip and horrible wet traction. The only thing they did somewhat good was they wore even but wore too fast with my hard driving style. I'll never buy them for a performance tire again. I would rather buy some Warriors. Nahhhhhh probably not. Haha.

Rocket Power
12-02-2010, 12:32 AM
That's not good. Don't mind me asking but what happened? The all season Kumho's I have are actually pretty good tires. They have about 12k miles from last winter to mid summer and they are wearing even, not noisy, no pulling and great grip in all types of weather. I have owned Kumho's on my Supra and I don't remember which model they were but they sucked balls. I do know they weren't the super cheap ones. They were the top of the Kumho line. Super noisy, shitty grip and horrible wet traction. The only thing they did somewhat good was they wore even but wore too fast with my hard driving style. I'll never buy them for a performance tire again. I would rather buy some Warriors. Nahhhhhh probably not. Haha.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_z5Ru9kCZGF8/THphKohIb4I/AAAAAAAABzU/TmfkPgHiMpo/s1600/facepalm_statue.jpg

spooln30
12-02-2010, 12:41 AM
WTF is that for? I guess there's always someone who's gotta be a dick! If your gonna post stuff like that dont read my thread and go to the library and read a book.

Rocket Power
12-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Because it was obvious he was making a hooker joke.

http://www.theospot.net/pictures/misc/francis.jpg:rolf

spooln30
12-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Ha. I totally fucking missed that one. I'm sorry for calling you a dick. So now I'm a asshole.

WI_Dave
12-02-2010, 07:37 AM
:rolf

Plum Crazy
12-02-2010, 08:10 AM
what year is your Legacy??

Car Guy
12-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Kuhmo tires have come a long way in the last 5 years.....

WickedSix
12-02-2010, 02:47 PM
y only 2?

spooln30
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I only bought 2 snow tires cuz I just bought the Kumho's not too long ago. And money is tight right now with only working part time at the shop. PT is due to my four herniated discs.
My Legacy is a 96. I plan on next summer when the Supras don't putting a 2.0 twin turbo 5 speed JDM engine/trans swap. Legacy's in Japan came with these great engines in my year. Sucks that Subaru never put these twin turbo engines in the USDM Legacy's.
After doing a little research on these tt engines the factory output is "rated" at 260 hp but I've found it more like 280hp and with intake, exhaust , fuel computer and up the boost it should be over 300. I will be super happy with that. Stock HP as my Legacy sits she's only got about 150. Double the Hp will work.

Plum Crazy
12-02-2010, 08:19 PM
I only bought 2 snow tires cuz I just bought the Kumho's not too long ago. And money is tight right now with only working part time at the shop. PT is due to my four herniated discs.
My Legacy is a 96. I plan on next summer when the Supras don't putting a 2.0 twin turbo 5 speed JDM engine/trans swap. Legacy's in Japan came with these great engines in my year. Sucks that Subaru never put these twin turbo engines in the USDM Legacy's.
After doing a little research on these tt engines the factory output is "rated" at 260 hp but I've found it more like 280hp and with intake, exhaust , fuel computer and up the boost it should be over 300. I will be super happy with that. Stock HP as my Legacy sits she's only got about 150. Double the Hp will work.

Mine is a 96 also, the car is in great shape, paid 100 bucks for it. NOTE: I had to put the hood pins in due to the core support being 2 inches inward and the latch not working.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z28/alexkosterman/virgina137.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z28/alexkosterman/virgina135.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z28/alexkosterman/virgina147.jpg

Slow5oh
12-02-2010, 08:57 PM
damn 100 bucks. Jealous. I over paid for my scoob

FoxStang
12-02-2010, 08:58 PM

What year Supra?

nismodave
12-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Kuhmo tires have come a long way in the last 5 years.....

I disagree....My Parents Put Kuhmos on thier Altima less than three years ago, and they were garbage in the snow or rain....They had less than 10k on them before they pulled them off.

spooln30
12-02-2010, 10:08 PM
My Supra is a 89. With a 2jzgte, 6765 billet turbo E85. Its built for SCCA and I will drive it on the street sometimes. I know its not a MK4 but I really love the body style and hated the 7mgte. So this time I went with the 2jz. I dont need 1000hp just need usable power for the road courses. It will be done by spring and the paint job is gonna be bad ass!! Street Camo. LOL!!

As far as Kumhos tires. The pair I have on my Subby have about 12k and they are great tires. Wearing slow and even and not noisy.
Heres a pic of my Legacy from the summer. Now it rock some freshly painted steelies.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7724/iphonepics102910072.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/i/iphonepics102910072.jpg/)

FoxStang
12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
My Supra is a 89. With a 2jzgte, 6765 billet turbo E85. Its built for SCCA and I will drive it on the street sometimes. I know its not a MK4 but I really love the body style and hated the 7mgte. So this time I went with the 2jz. I dont need 1000hp just need usable power for the road courses. It will be done by spring and the paint job is gonna be bad ass!! Street Camo. LOL!!

The MKIV looks like an ugly catfish, much prefer the lines of the MKIII, though my preference would be pre 89 front with 89+ tails. I used to have a 87 with a 57 trim, 550's and a few other goodies; amazing how little it took to wake a 7m up. Income permitting I'd like to do a 2j MKIII build sometime after I graduate. You should take some pictures and post them in the photo area.

spooln30
12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Once I get my head back from Steve @ AMS tomorrow I will get the head on the block and before I put the engine and trans in I'll be taking a lot of pics. At that time I will start a build thread on this fourm and a Supra fourm. I've built about 10 Mk3's for customers and I know the 7m pretty well. I think the 57 trims and 550's are a great set up. I did that set up along with a built engine for a friend down in Chi and it put down 420whp @ 22 psi. Head porting helps out so much on a 7m. You just have to get the crappy oiling system in check.

spooln30
12-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Well I did some traveling today in the Legacy. I will say I LOVE my new snow tires. Great grip, better stopping and if I want to get her sideways around corners I have to give it more effort. I mounted them yesterday at work and on the drive home on dry roads they are nice and quite and the ride is great. Overall great buy and I recommend these MasterCraft snow tires to anyone.

FoxStang
12-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Once I get my head back from Steve @ AMS tomorrow I will get the head on the block and before I put the engine and trans in I'll be taking a lot of pics. At that time I will start a build thread on this fourm and a Supra fourm. I've built about 10 Mk3's for customers and I know the 7m pretty well. I think the 57 trims and 550's are a great set up. I did that set up along with a built engine for a friend down in Chi and it put down 420whp @ 22 psi. Head porting helps out so much on a 7m. You just have to get the crappy oiling system in check.
On SupraMania or Supra Forum? I'll have to check it out!