PDA

View Full Version : Running hidden surround wires?

badass88gt
11-28-2010, 11:03 PM
I need to run wires for my surround, I have the capability to run 7.1 but I am thinking I will just do 5.1 due to the layout in my small living room. Anyway, our basement is fully finished so I cant run wires down and then back up for the surround speakers, has anyone used the flat speaker wire thats available? Any other options for running surround speakers where you cant get down through the floor?

WilliamZ
11-29-2010, 07:45 AM
You could run the wires under the carpet, or behind the baseboards. If you don't have baseboards you could add some?

05caddyext
11-29-2010, 08:38 AM
i would run it under the carpet around to the back of the room, or you could always get a wireless adapter to make the rear speakers wireless. I have never used one, but I have heard they don't always work 100% of the time.

pOrk
11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Do you have an attic? That's how I'm running mine, tv mounted to fireplace so only way I can go is up

Matchew
11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Do you have an attic? That's how I'm running mine, tv mounted to fireplace so only way I can go is up

Same here....

UnderPSI
11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
The flat wire works fine.

CATNHAT
12-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I used the flat wire under my carpet in our old house. The wire eventually broadcast through the carpet and pissed me off.

If I had to do it over again, I would try to tuck the wire between the tack strip and the basebaoard. Baseboard should be installed approx 1/4" -3/8" above the plywood, allowing space to tuck it in there, just dont use to heavy of a gauge wire.

Then restretch the carpet.

Done

Sounds easier than it really is but can be done.