PDA

View Full Version : Small Diesel Pick-up on sale in December...

Prince Valiant
11-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Yep...if you've always fancied a small diesel pick-up, but don't want to look for an early 80's 60-some-odd HP Izuzu pup diesel pick-up, wait just a couple week longer:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/breaking-mahindra-receives-epa-certification-to-sell-diesel-pickups-in-the-us.html

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e20133f2278f78970b-800wi

Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra has received official certification from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that allows its compact diesel pickups to be sold in the U.S.

"The EPA just certified Mahindra," an EPA representative confirmed to PickupTrucks.com this morning. "It's for their diesel pickup for the 2011 model year."

Emissions certification was one of largest hurdles facing Mahindra and its American distributor, Global Vehicles USA. It became a point of contention between the two companies after numerous delays launching the truck in the U.S. Mahindra and GV USA are currently in litigation over the delays.

"We're very excited about getting certification," said Max Butler, vice president of marketing for Global Vehicles USA. "Our dealers are excited as well. This is great news."

Mahindra TR20 and TR40 pickups reportedly will be offered in two cab configurations: a two-door regular cab and a four-door crew cab. Both will use a slightly modified version of Mahindra's mHawk 2.2-liter inline-four-cylinder diesel engine that uses diesel exhaust fluid (urea) selective catalytic reduction to maintain emissions compliance. It's expected to have fuel economy ratings as high as 30 mpg and 1.3-ton hauling capability. Pricing is expected to start around $22,000.

So basically a 140hp/236ft-lb torque 4 cylinder diesel. Target is 30mpg hwy mileage. Not attractive, but inexpensive and efficient....but will people buy a car from india?

btw, looked at off-set crash results...not great, but much much much better than the chinese landwind suv's.

Prince Valiant
11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Payload= 2750lbs
curb wt- 4130lbs/2WD
nothing listed for towing....
price start around 22,000

BoosTT
11-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Towing is 2600lbs

juicedimpss
11-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Towing is 2600lbs

:rolf

BOSS LX
11-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, that is cool!:rolf

Russ Jerome
11-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Badger Ford is using Turkish delivery cars, I've driven them but I also drive a scooter by choice so Im not normal...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q3/2010_ford_transit_connect-first_drive_review

30mpg freeway on that pickup doesnt exactly get me worked up considering diesel cost more unlike 10yrs ago when it was dramaticaly cheaper than gas.

Rocket Power
11-27-2010, 01:38 PM
A new 4 cyl ranger get 27 hwy and costs 18,600 msrp. $3500 will buy you some gas:goof

Force4
11-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Actually doesn't look to bad. But my v6 ram 1500 can tow more lol. 30mpg seems to quite the average nowaday nothing quite special besides being able to somewhat tow.

Prince Valiant
11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
A new 4 cyl ranger get 27 hwy and costs 18,600 msrp. $3500 will buy you some gas:goofto be fair, an apples to apples comparison would net one 24mpg from an auto-equipped 2.3

But it still highlights the question: Who's going to buy this? It doesn't have any exceptional capabilities aside from a decent payload capacity when compared to other small pick-ups or a particular price advantage...and when efficiency is compared to price of the different fuels as Russ points out, it isn't a dramatic advantage at all...

Towing is 2600lbs Where did this come from? My only guess is from using the GVWR and curb wt...

As far as the towing, 2600lbs does NOT look correct...it appears to work with the quoted GVWR as GVWR is typically understood, however 2 things:

1. It's GVWR is significantly higher than that of other small US pick-ups...but GVWR seems to be poor help in figuring out tow ratings of pick-ups here; so example: an i5 Chevy Colorado has a GVWR of 5000lbs, curb wt. of 4000lbs, and yet also possess a 4,000lbs tow capacity.

2. Since the "pik-up" as it's called is sold elsewhere, a look around seems to indicate that it's tow rating will come in around 5000lbs. Not diesel like as we tend to think of it, or even exceptional in small trucks...though of all the trucks that you can get with similar mileage expectations (ford ranger 4 banger 5 speeds, colorado/canyon 4 banger 5 speeds), it does handily exceed the competition.

But we'll see...it's not unusual to see the same vehicle in different markets have vastly different tow ratings...a patriot has a 2,000lb rating here, but 4,400lb tow rating in europe...

I just don't see this being a success...most times when a competitor comes in from a market like japan, korea, or when the chinese enter the market it has to have comparable features and capabilities for sizeable cost advantages...while this exceeds the competitions capabilities in many respects, it still doesn't have much of a price advantage.

However, since there really is no small diesel pick-up to speak of, there might be a market out there...who knows? I say this goes the way of Daewoo...they'll enter the market only to get chased out; then in the future may continue to have a presence by producing cars to be badged by another make....

SSLEVO
11-27-2010, 02:42 PM
It quoted a 1.3 ton hauling capacity, not really the same as the towing capacity i don't think

pOrk
11-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Looks like a datsun, I don't think it will have a huge market at 22 grand. Thats a lot of change for a imported from india s10, seriously what a turd.

http://www.classiccar.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/232-1966-Datsun-Truck-1300.jpg

jbiscuit
11-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Too pricey. But the biggest struggle will be getting past the common automotive stereotypes that brands like Kia and Hyundai had and still have to contend with. The biggest issue a company like this will have is the assumption it's crap before they even drive one. How do you get customers to buy you new to the market vehicle? Price number one. A hefty cover-all warranty is another possibility. Hyundai for instance sold cars with the lengthy warranty more than anything. Offering great value at a competitive price point MSRP. Unless this company is prepared to go full tilt marketing this thing with mega-catchy advertising etc it will be an epic failure I'm afraid. It will cost millions of $$$ to even get noticed as a player in the marketplace and millions more to get people to buy it and evenstill itcosts more than Rangers, Tacomas etc with the small mills. Sorry I dont see this lil truck making any waves

BR3W CITY
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
if it had a diesel motor that could really be turned up, it could have potential, but likely the whole thing while be um....fragile? Those trucks on IRT sure as hell don't look well built

Prince Valiant
11-27-2010, 08:17 PM
if it had a diesel motor that could really be turned up, it could have potential, but likely the whole thing while be um....fragile?That's the thing...w/ 4WD and though it looks tiny, the 4wd's weigh like 4400lbs. Hell, none of the big three fullsizes weight that much in 1993....

Al
11-27-2010, 09:51 PM
A new 4 cyl ranger get 27 hwy and costs 18,600 msrp. $3500 will buy you some gas:goof

2wd manual standard cab short box?

hrsp
11-27-2010, 10:10 PM
hmmm curious to see how it does...any pics of the 4door?

Prince Valiant
11-27-2010, 10:15 PM
hmmm curious to see how it does...any pics of the 4door?
http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/images/2009/02/mahindra-pickup.jpg

Looks a lot like those 4 seat ATV's

http://svr23.sitecube.com/builder/users/atvrentals/1209197/myimages/myimages1/ranger%20crew2.jpg

SmokinRAM114
11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow, that is cool!:rolf

im buying one.. guna fuck up ur 6.ohhhh:thumbsup:rolf

Force4
11-28-2010, 05:51 PM
http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/images/2009/02/mahindra-pickup.jpg

Looks a lot like those 4 seat ATV's

http://svr23.sitecube.com/builder/users/atvrentals/1209197/myimages/myimages1/ranger%20crew2.jpg

They look almost identical :rolf

WI_Dave
11-29-2010, 08:20 AM
If it was cheap it would sell. At that price I'll pass.

FoxStang
11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
That's a bit steep for something like that, besides I thought the company didn't want to sell to the US importer so this was a no go?

Prince Valiant
11-29-2010, 04:37 PM
That's a bit steep for something like that, besides I thought the company didn't want to sell to the US importer so this was a no go?Everything was contingent on whether or not the EPA certification would pass...there was some acrimony about it, as the dealers said they should have already had the vehicles in their showroom. But the EPA process took far longer, leading to bickering b/w the two parties.

BUT, apparently now that the certification has occurred, everything is a go.

The thing on the price though is that there really is nothing comparable. What would the price of a colorado or ranger diesel be? Who knows?