PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Ford Ranger Starting Issues

Corvette Jabo
11-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi,
I picked up a 2004 Ford Ranger for my daughter. The truck has about 92K miles on it and has the 2.3 liter engine with an auto transmission. I installed spark plugs on it shortly after buying the truck. My daughter has complained that she has been having problems starting the truck, I made sure she is waiting until the fuel system is pressurized. Over the weekend I did find the positive battery terminal was severely corroded so I removed the battery and cleaned the battery posts and cable terminals. I thought the corroded terminals may have been the reason that the car was starting hard (low voltage condition), not the case it is still having the same issue.

Anyone have any experience with this type of engine and issue that could help me fix this issue without having to take it in to the dealer?

Jabo

Moparjim
11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Any codes?

Runs fine once started? Good power, mileage, etc?

What do you mean hard starting - does it seem to crank fine just have to crank a lot before it fires up, or does it crank slow? Any difference if you hold the pedal down a little or all the way while cranking? Any difference if it is cold start or warm start?

Did it just start having this problem with recent cold weather?

Corvette Jabo
11-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I tried starting it after it was warm and the idle is really low when the engine catches and then idles up to 1500-2000 RPM. She said it is even worse in the morning when it’s cold.
After you get it running it runs great.
I can try to giving it some gas when starting or even to the floor tonight.
As far as mileage, she does all short hops, home to school, school to home, home to work… No real way to check mileage. But I do not think it is guzzling fuel.
I think it has been doing it since we bought it.

It seems like the position of the throttle is lower that it should be at start because it idles really low and then idles up to about 1500 – 2000 which I thought would be the cold circuit kicking in.

Corvette Jabo
11-23-2010, 09:35 AM
And it is not throwing a code, no check engine light.

Windsors 03 Cobra
11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Sounds like the idle air control valve is going south or the passage is boogered up. Most likely the former.

Gregor
11-23-2010, 10:17 AM
I had what sounds like the same problem with a 2.3 in a mustang. Once warmed up it would almost always start fine but when cold it would almost always have problems.

It was a leaky injector flooding out. I disconnected the injector plug on the offending injector and it would start fine.

hotshift13
11-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Fpr?

Corvette Jabo
11-24-2010, 07:20 AM
FPR? what is that?

RanJer
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Fuel pressure regulator

lordairgtar
11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
FPR? what is that?
French Public Radio

GTSLOW
11-24-2010, 02:28 PM
FPR? what is that?

Front Patriotique Rwandais

Reverend Cooper
11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
coolant temp sensor for ecm,iac valve or a tps thats out of adjust thats where i would start

84hurst
11-25-2010, 11:34 AM
You said you relaced the plugs right after you got it. Did the issue start after doing this? Some cars are sensitive to what plugs you put in it. Maybe try using stock plugs and see if it helps any. Other than that I'd be looking at something like an IAC (Idle Air Control). Could be sticking.

Corvette Jabo
11-25-2010, 02:49 PM
I think it was doing it with the other plugs also, I installed new plugs shortly after purchasing the truck.