PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage 2000 camry?

hrsp
11-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Im going to look at a 2000 Camry v6 With 252k miles!!!

few questions about them...

never owned one or knew anyone who has one so i dont know about there reliability and resale..

If the car is in "good" shape what about should the asking price be?
Are these v6s any good? ( obviously they arent shit seeing it has 250k)
how do the the trannys hold up in them?

any other things you can think of thru it out there...thanks

spooln30
11-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Well I worked at two local Toyota Dealers in the past. The biggest problem I remember with the 1mzfe Toyota engine was with poor maintenance the engines would sludge up like brownies. This was due to inadequate oiling passages and poor maintenance from the owners. It's hard to tell if the engine is sludge up due to the baffles in the valve covers. So you may be able to see something by removing the oil fill cap but the best way would be to remove the front bank valve cover. Then you will know the story. Otherwise these engines are super relible. My father has a 99 Avalon with 185k and his runs like it's brand new. Another friend has a Lexus ES300 with 289k also runs great. Now with the transmission just like with the engine with proper maintanence it will last for a long. Check the fluid if it's really dirty you may have a problem down the road. When you go to do a trans flush you remove the grit that maybe helping the trans from slipping. New fluid would cause the trans to lose that grit and might start to slip.

As long as it was well taken care of you may get another 100k out of it. Good Luck

Reverend Cooper
11-20-2010, 08:00 AM
valve cover gaskets leak,oil pans,cam,crank seals.make sure the timing belt is up to date its every 90k.rear calipers like to stick or sieze,at that miles rear main seal.
also cam position sensor starts to leak too,look for loose rack ends and rear control arm
bars also sway bar bushings.the miles would not turn me off tho

hrsp
11-20-2010, 11:35 AM
ok thanks! its a 1 owner car and he has receipts of every thing ever done to the car including ALL oil changes...damn..i will keep you updated. thanks again!

Car Guy
11-20-2010, 12:01 PM
its a 1 owner car and he has receipts of every thing ever done to the car including ALL oil changes

If this is true I would not flinch at the mileage what so ever assuming the owner also changed the transmission fluid according to factory specs.....

hrsp
11-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Assuming its in "good" overall condition with those miles about how much is this car worth? Thanks!

Exitspeed
11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I have a 2000 Camry with 226k. It's a 4 cycl. This thing has been crazy dependable for us. I've drive it up to Rhinelander 5-6 times a year. I drove all the way down to Fort Lauderdale FL once.

Other then normal wear and tear the only thing that has went wrong with it is the water pump went out around 90,000. Since then it has been flawless.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat. My goal with this one is 500,000. But we're not putting as many miles on it as we used to so I'm not sure how long that will take at our current rate.