PDA

View Full Version : Theres more to worry about in Stallis than the murders

Burgandy85SS
11-16-2010, 07:20 PM
So this morning my dads outside on his driveway changing the oil in one of his cars, as he's finishing up the garbage collectors grab his trash from the curb (Trash Day) and start talking to my dad. They say to him "your lucky you must have some nice neighbors here" he asks them why they say that. The garbage dude says well its illegal to change your oil in the city of west allis.
Has anyone ever heard of such a law?

Ricky Bobby
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
ive heard that at condos chris but not at a house??

Anakonda69
11-16-2010, 08:03 PM
i changed mine in stallis for 3 yrs never had any issues.

spooln30
11-16-2010, 08:08 PM
That's just insane!! Fuck if someone said anything to me while changing my oil I would flip the F out. Well I don't live in WA. If you dispose of it the right way it shouldn't matter. If you own a house you pay city taxes. That's enough to do whatever you want on your property. That's how I look at it. Total BS!!

DirtyMax
11-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Next time, tell him to change it over the storm drain. Less cleanup... :goof

GHOSST
11-16-2010, 08:29 PM
From what my buddy says stallis is just strict about waste and crap being left on the streets.

Ricky Bobby
11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
From what my buddy says stallis is just strict about waste and crap being left on the streets.

haha epic fail there is shit everywhere

Reverend Cooper
11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Its in the water,It wont be long and we will here about our one time good friend Russ.he willl be on tv yelling at "the man" waving a pipe with a tinfoil helmet on. Its ok it just happens there

Ricky Bobby
11-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Its in the water,It wont be long and we will here about our one time good friend Russ.he willl be on tv yelling at "the man" waving a pipe with a tinfoil helmet on. Its ok it just happens there

i thought that already happened :rolf

PB86MCSS
11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Never heard of such a thing anywhere other than condo associations and their by-laws/nazi's. Might be loosely worded in some ordinance that no one enforces, or the garbage guy is full of it.

jbiscuit
11-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Never heard anything like this. I would think if there is such a law the neighbors wouldn't know about it either lol. Any link that validates this?

FoxStang
11-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Surprised most of you have never heard of laws like this, mostly the law states that your not allowed to do any sort of maintenance outside, if its in your garage, your in the clear. Fair amount of cities (usually suburbs of the yuppier variety) have them, not sure exactly about Stallis but I know for sure Cedarburg has a law like that, and a few other towns too that I don't remember off the top of my head. The law is rarely enforced from what I understand, but nonetheless exists.

Burgandy85SS
11-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Im thinking thats one of those laws that nobody really knows about. Kinda like the one saying if you mow your lawn your neighbor must mow theres within 24 hours from when you did yours.

Ricky Bobby
11-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Im thinking thats one of those laws that nobody really knows about. Kinda like the one saying if you mow your lawn your neighbor must mow theres within 24 hours from when you did yours.

if thats a law im fucked :rolf

Burgandy85SS
11-17-2010, 12:28 AM
if thats a law im fucked :rolf

I think its just in WA so you might be ok

Rocket Power
11-17-2010, 09:58 AM
:rolf

In the 8 years I've owned my house that has never happened:rolf

Rocket Power
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
You're also not allowed to park cars on the grass, but obviously they let it slide for people at state fair time.

Most of these ordinances aren't an issue unless you are being a jerk or your neighbor is one and makes a big enough stink

My neighbors have one of those firepit things with the lid on them, which I think they just legalized, but I never called and complained because its not a big deal. I know they weren't legal for a while because they were specifically mentioned in a city newsletter.:rolf

Ricky Bobby
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
I think its just in WA so you might be ok
dont matter where thats still a dumb law, who thinks up these stupis laws :rolf

RanJer
11-17-2010, 11:06 AM
My neighbors have one of those firepit things with the lid on them, which I think they just legalized

Any confirmation on this...???

Waver
11-17-2010, 11:32 AM
That is the dumbest law that I have ever heard. I could understand if you were running a shop out of your house and didnt have a permit or the place wasnt zoned for that, but changing your own oil on your own drive way? That is fucking retarded.

hrsp
11-17-2010, 12:12 PM
i lived in dirty stallis for awhile and i was told ( by wapd) you could change your oil in your driveway but not on the city street. he said it was VERY dangerous for you to be under your car on a city street. also said that the mess the oil change will leave is bad for the environment...Lastly he said that the oil will stain the street and makes it an eye sore...

i lived on a side street with very little traffic...not on a busy ass road. and my driveway was narrow and on a hill...fuck that!

Rocket Power
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM

I thought I had read it in a newsletter again, I will check:thumbsup

jbiscuit
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I too would be interested in the firepit yes or no....a neighbor by me has one and uses it nightly in the summer. I have a private patio so I'm sure I could have one too if I wanted to even if illegal but if it is infact OK now, that would be a bonus. I'll buy one right away in the spring if that is the case

Rocket Power
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Looked it up in the city muni codes

http://www.e-codes.generalcode.com/codes/1900_A/Chapter%205,%20Fire%20Department%20Regulations.pdf #xml=http://www.e-codes.generalcode.com/searchresults.asp?cmd=pdfhits&index=1900_A&filename=Chapter%205,%20Fire%20Department%20Regula tions.pdf&fn=E:\siteinfo\ecodes\codebooks\1900_A\Chapter%205 ,%20Fire%20Department%20Regulations.pdf

(9) OPEN BURNING.5
(a) Open burning is prohibited in the City of West Allis and no person, firm, corporation or other
entity shall burn, cause to be burned, or suffer or allow to burn in the open air leaves, garden refuse, wood,
refuse, or other combustible material.
(b) This subsection shall not apply to:
1. A charcoal or gas grill used in the cooking of food.
2. The smoking of tobacco products.
3. A device for the burning of wood that is equipped with a metal hood and screen that
completely encloses the area where wood is burned so as to prevent embers or sparks from exiting the
device.
(c) The exception allowed in Subsection 5.10(9)(b)3 shall not apply during such times as the
West Allis Fire Chief declares a ban on burning due to dry conditions. Notice of such ban shall be published in
the official City newspaper. After publication or after direct notice, no person shall use such a device until the
West Allis Fire Chief declares that the ban is terminated.

jbiscuit
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
AWESOME! I wonder if Menards has any on sale since the season is over? I'll use it this weekend!

Car Guy
11-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Surprised most of you have never heard of laws like this, mostly the law states that your not allowed to do any sort of maintenance outside, if its in your garage, your in the clear. The law is rarely enforced from what I understand, but nonetheless exists.

This is a fact and Milwaukee is the same. Over a 2-ish year span I had regular visits from the city inspector after a neighbor across the street called.....

GHOSST
11-19-2010, 01:28 AM
This is a fact and Milwaukee is the same. Over a 2-ish year span I had regular visits from the city inspector after a neighbor across the street called.....

Snitches get stitches, imo, damn tree huggin hippies. Who cares if your doing your own work as long your mindful of the mess. Your neighbor is douche.

PB86MCSS
11-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Surprised most of you have never heard of laws like this, mostly the law states that your not allowed to do any sort of maintenance outside, if its in your garage, your in the clear. Fair amount of cities (usually suburbs of the yuppier variety) have them, not sure exactly about Stallis but I know for sure Cedarburg has a law like that, and a few other towns too that I don't remember off the top of my head. The law is rarely enforced from what I understand, but nonetheless exists.

Well I think you summed up why almost no one has heard of it :). I can’t imagine complaining about someone changing oil in a driveway or actually getting in trouble for it even if they do call. By the time someone came you’d be done plus I’d think most inspectors know it’s nitpicky. I could of complained about my one next door neighbor who had a turbo’d Civic with no exhaust that sounded like ass (loved hearing it drive past my bedroom window) or the other roommate with a older 4x4 Blazer parked behind his garage on the grass :goof . We can see it from our yard easily but it’s not really hurting anything and I realize I live in Stallis, not River Hills :D .

I wouldn’t change oil in the street or do any work unless the car broke down there, I live on a somewhat side street but the way idiots drive and how fast I’d be scared for my safety.

Car Guy
11-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Snitches get stitches, imo, damn tree huggin hippies. Who cares if your doing your own work as long your mindful of the mess. Your neighbor is douche.

Douche yes, however I was operating a full time repair shop at the time. What angered me more than anything is he did NOT talk to me first about keeping the work 'out of sight'. I wanted to get along with all my neighbors and would have complied just the same without the idiot inspector breathing down my throat.....

CPonyGo
11-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I have called and called on my neighbor.. he literally changes his oil every day on the street...his shit leaks so bad..he has been driving this mini van for 2 years and just keeps adding he says an average of quart or or less A DAY! just look..corner of 76th and walker towards walker inn....the oiled street is badalthough one night when I came home late I drove the mustang through it and then cleaned them off next to his house...we have a hate hate thing right now...

jamestown478
11-25-2010, 11:35 AM
So this morning my dads outside on his driveway changing the oil in one of his cars, as he's finishing up the garbage collectors grab his trash from the curb (Trash Day) and start talking to my dad. They say to him "your lucky you must have some nice neighbors here" he asks them why they say that. The garbage dude says well its illegal to change your oil in the city of west allis.
Has anyone ever heard of such a law?

I just asked my dad whose a stallis cop and he said that the garbage man must have been high.

jamestown478
11-25-2010, 11:37 AM

yes it is now legal to use them in the city but the have to be put out by 11pm