PDA

View Full Version : Wtf are the gates for....

Nix
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
On some on ramps to get on the freeway? They just installed some by me. I'm guessing they are there incase the freeway is closed so they don't have to send any Police to sit there and monitor traffic?

Anyone else notice these?

BlackLightning
11-13-2010, 05:55 PM
they are there to close the freeway.

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/johnjagler/106949419.html

I am wondering what the white with black outline plus signs painted on the ground in greenfield are for. I noticed them the last week or so.

Nix
11-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for posting that link.

I live in Jefferson County and as the article says they are popping up all over the place out here.

I didnt know they had to manually operated though.

I think it's a waste of funds and they are an eyesore.

Thanks big brother. I also like how they put up cameras out here by me too. I knew it was just a matter of time.

Rocket Power
11-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I would rather have those than tying up manpower blocking it off.

95mustang302
11-13-2010, 07:56 PM
they have those out west in the middle of the country for winter issues. The ones out there are electronically controlled and they close off the freeway in case of heavy show/wind when there are whiteout conditions to keep people off the freeway. I welcome these as the person above said that it will free up manpower to assist or keep on other things rather than sitting at an on ramp with their thumb up their a$$

0TransAm0
11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
I would rather have those than tying up manpower blocking it off.

x2

eyesore? do you have one in you backyard? :rolleyes:

Nix
11-13-2010, 10:02 PM
x2

eyesore? do you have one in you backyard? :rolleyes:

I didn't know something that is an eyesore had to be in my back yard. Thanks for your input on the subject. :rolleyes:

As for the above comments, they are constructive and make some good points. I would rather have a gate go down vs an officer having to sit there and block the entrance until further notice.

FoxStang
11-13-2010, 11:20 PM
they are there to close the freeway.

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/johnjagler/106949419.html

I am wondering what the white with black outline plus signs painted on the ground in greenfield are for. I noticed them the last week or so.

I read 10k and thought, oh neat, it closes itself, still seems pricey though. Then I read that it must be manually operated, how could that possibly cost 10k, what am I missing here?

lordairgtar
11-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Sure they tell you now it's for winter safety, but I think it's for controlling where you can and cannot go. The easily controlled will obey those gates.

That_Guy
11-14-2010, 01:40 AM
10k really? You have to be kidding me ?

DiscountRamps.com
11-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Seems pretty expensive for a manually powered gate, but like everything they have pros and cons.

pw_cc_runner
11-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Didn't the state already spend money to put standard construction style barricades at every ramp already? or was that part of this same deal?

0TransAm0
11-14-2010, 09:08 AM
I didn't know something that is an eyesore had to be in my back yard. Thanks for your input on the subject. :rolleyes:

As for the above comments, they are constructive and make some good points. I would rather have a gate go down vs an officer having to sit there and block the entrance until further notice.

figured for it to be an eyesore you must be looking at them all the time.who cares what it looks like as long as i (or anybody) doesn't have one out there window.. it still gets the job done. they have had them out by me for at least 2 years now. its nothing new. . and you are very welcome for my input on the subject. :thumbsup

Silver350
11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I can see it now. Accident on Free way DOT closes crossing gate preventing Emergency Vehicles from getting to accident scene.

Al
11-15-2010, 01:50 PM
The only time I ever saw them being used was when President Bush's motorcade was heading south on the freeway between Milwaukee and Racine.

Feature Pony
11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
might be used for high speed chases as well to block the freeway.

hrsp
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
10k? whats wrong with orange barrel's or the road closed signs?...

BlackLightning
11-15-2010, 05:05 PM
10k? whats wrong with orange barrel's or the road closed signs?...

because mexicans can't read the english signs.