PDA

View Full Version : Kia's in general?

hrsp
11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok so my mom wants a midsize SUV...She likes the way the Ford Edge looks and she likes the way the toyota highlanders look...Her husband want her to get a kia sorento ( if thats there midsize suv?) ive never owned a Kia but most people consider them disposable cars...my mom plans on keeping whatever she gets for a very very long time...So my question is what do you guys and gals think of kia in general and the 09+ Kia Sorento? Thanks!!

juicedimpss
11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
electrical systems suck in KIA

Gregor
11-12-2010, 04:52 PM
KIA= Korean imitation auto. My parents had one and for the first 10k miles it was a good car. But constant trips to the dealership for repairs after that sucked. Its just a poorly built car.

TheRX7Project
11-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I would believe older KIA's were junk- just like early Toyotas were. However KIA has greatly improved from what I have seen. And I will say that the KIA Soul+ was probably one of the nicest cheap cars I have ever driven. Consumer reports has been giving the newer KIAs good reviews and good reliability markings as well.

Crawlin
11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
what about some of the Hyundai's? The santa fe and the veracruz are some decent vehicles. had a bank rep get a santa fe and she puts on 200 miles a day between all the dealerships. hasnt failed her yet or given her any grief.

WhatsADSM
11-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Imo the Ford and toyoare significantly better vehicles and worth the difference in cost especially for long life.

If I HAD to get another Korean car I would look into a Hyundai before kia.

Rocket Power
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Kia = cheap hyundai. Made by same people.

pOrk
11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Kia = GAYYYYYY

VroomPshhTsi
11-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm sure their quality is improving but still...

Kia = GAYYYYYY

hrsp
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
what about some of the Hyundai's? The santa fe and the veracruz are some decent vehicles. had a bank rep get a santa fe and she puts on 200 miles a day between all the dealerships. hasnt failed her yet or given her any grief.

hmm i'll throw it out there...i just told her to test drive alot of diferent vehicles before deciding...shes not a fan of the way the kia looks so that ones is at the bottom...lol....

i told her to look at a JGC...but her husband swears jeeps are not reliable...:rolleyes:

Waver
11-12-2010, 08:13 PM
well earlier Kias are the biggest piles of shit out there. However, the 09-10, from what I have heard, arnt bad. I would still be a little unsure on them if I were you. You can get a low mileage edge with the toys for the same price as the new Kia's

GHOSST
11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Older Kia's = Junk. friend had a Kia Rio, POS!

Newer Kia = better, much better. Just go test drive one.

Hyundai has improved the best overall, their making some bitchin rides all of a sudden.

Slow5oh
11-12-2010, 11:13 PM
every time I get stuck behind one KIA stands for one thing KICK IN ASS

wikked
11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Newer Hyundai's (after 2008) are very nice actually. Fit & finish are impressive.
You know that nice soft noise you hear when closing a door/trunk on any luxury car? That's what their build quality is like now.

Kia's are still half plastic rattle traps, I'd never get one.

nismodave
11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I would advise anyone who has not driven a KIA to do so, if they are looking for a car or SUV in that segment. They are not the same company they were 10 years ago.

I rented a 2009 Kia Sportage SUV in 08 and it was a great little vehicle. Not sporty or fancy, but nicely done.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7236&stc=1&d=1289626397

lordairgtar
11-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Supervisor at work has a 1999 Hyundai...never a bit of trouble. As for the JGC, I think her husband must be a tool, or a Kia salesman.

spooln30
11-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Olders Toyota's were never junk. The 2000GT is a great car. And the late 70's Celicas are pure sexy cars. Back to the Topic. Kia uses Hyundai engines in most of their cars IIRC correctly. Most any Kia is way better than that great car company that lasted for many many years. I think they were called Daewoo's. Now those are total shit boxes. Their still making cars just not in the US, oh wait yes they are. The Chevy Aveo. Haha. I will say that working on car/trucks for a while now. Hyundai's have came a very long way. Now they are making really nice reliable automobiles. Kia on the other hand has improved but very slowly. Whatever you do, don't buy a Sante Fe up to I think up to the 2006 or 2007 model year. Everyone we get into the shop seems to have all sorts of problems. Even ones that people take really good care of. As far a Ford's claims of better quality than ever before even better than Toyota and Honda is a big false claim. With the exception of maybe the Fusion. Many of the new Fords I've worked on have issues with only 3-30k. Big thing I've noticed is the Ford smaller SUVS like the Edge and Escape that have the DOHC V6 with 4wd or AWD. Rear main oil seals and suspension problems happen to almost everyone. The smartest thing that the "Big Three" has done is the use of Denso parts.

xxsn0blindxx
11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Hyundai bought Kia in 1997 and have been improving their quality a ton over the last decade. Five years ago I wouldn't have recommended a Kia, but I wouldn't think twice today for a new car. Kia/Hyundai are doing a lot of things right lately.

theavenger333
11-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Kia started out using all of Hyundai's old lineup, engines, design etc. Hyundai's new lineup is night and day compared to before. following suit, Kia has gotten some of the newer stuff and yes, it is getting much better.

lordairgtar
11-13-2010, 10:28 AM
A historical note for Spooln30: In the late 50s, Toyota imported their little sedan to the US. They literally fell apart on our roads and our speeds (japan national speed limit was 45mph). They left the US and came back in the middle 60s with what was to become world killer cars. And yes, the 2000GT was a cool car with it's Yamaha designed engine and sexy looks, but a very limited production. I believe only two roadsters (James Bond rode in one with a cute agent) were ever made and the rest were coupes.
http://maydaygarage.com/2010/10/13/nostalgic-wednesdays-the-james-bond-007-toyota-2000gt-roadster/

Exitspeed
11-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm glad some people in here have been paying attention to what has been happening.

Kia and Hyundai have transformed from cheap Korean afterthoughts to competitive vehicles in quality, and the looks department. Compare the styling of the new Optima to anything Acura/Honda is making in the styling department and you'll realize how far they've come in a short amount of time.

This?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/10/2011kiasportage-1opt.jpg
Vs

This?
http://www.dailytorque.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/honda-crosstour.jpg

Hands down the Kia is far more attractive then the Corsstour. Plus if you've read any of the reviews of the Crosstour, they've been saying it's not up to Honda's standards.

Look at the Optima compared to the Accord.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/09/01kiaoptimafd2011opt.jpg

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/honda/accord/2011/ft/2011_honda_accord_actf34_ft_1004102_717.jpg

5 years ago I wouldn't argue with anyone on Kia's being total piles of shit. 2010+ is a whole different story.

flyin_blue_egg
11-13-2010, 10:58 AM
In the same class as she's looking in is the Chevy Equinox. My wife and I have a 2010 that's got everything but the leather and the navigation and love it.

spooln30
11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
A historical note for Spooln30: In the late 50s, Toyota imported their little sedan to the US. They literally fell apart on our roads and our speeds (japan national speed limit was 45mph). They left the US and came back in the middle 60s with what was to become world killer cars. And yes, the 2000GT was a cool car with it's Yamaha designed engine and sexy looks, but a very limited production. I believe only two roadsters (James Bond rode in one with a cute agent) were ever made and the rest were coupes.
http://maydaygarage.com/2010/10/13/nostalgic-wednesdays-the-james-bond-007-toyota-2000gt-roadster/

I know what your saying. Every car company makes at some point a super crappy automobile. Some companies have not ever made a good one. LOL. I still like the 2000GT Coupe over the Vert. IMO,

theavenger333
11-13-2010, 07:00 PM
In the same class as she's looking in is the Chevy Equinox. My wife and I have a 2010 that's got everything but the leather and the navigation and love it.

not quite sure what you're meaning, but i would recommend a 2010+ Equinox all day. i got my mom into one, and she loves it. it's excellent.

wikked
11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo is going to be amazing.
Been tested @ WOT for 300+hrs straight without a hitch, then was tested beyond redline for 20 hours without a problem.
Plus it uses 87 octane.

I'd hit it.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1007_2011_hyundai_sonata_turbo_drive/index.html

wrath
11-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I'd probably avoid Kia/Hyundai for a while longer. The reason they've gotten better is because of HATCI stealing GM and Ford engineers. I'd probably consider leasing one but as soon as something goes wrong with them it's going to cost you. A person I know bought a used Colorado for what it would have cost to replace the wore out front-end on their Sportage (or Tucson, I don't remember, same shit different shitty plastic).

The Equinox/Terrain is pretty sweet as long as you don't need shoulder room. I always liked the Flex.

spooln30
11-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes the new Sonata is really nice. 274 HP and 269@1750rpm!!!!!! That cars gotta be quick. Add exhaust, intake and up the boost with a good tune. I would say it should have 325-350 hp and crazy TQ. I am going to a Dealer to drive one this week I want to feel how the TQ steer is. One thing is it looks like a Toyota Solara from the front. Just a little better looking. I'd buy one for sure. The best thing with Hyundai is their warranty. 10 years 100k miles. Can't beat Hyundai's commitment these days. And I love anything Turbo'd.

hrsp
11-13-2010, 11:50 PM
thanks for all the input!!

side note the new sonata sounds wicked!!!

Hey "Spooln30" after you drive it wanna post up your thoughts about it and what not?

spooln30
11-14-2010, 02:51 AM
^ I will for sure do that. If I can keep a steady hand or some how tape my iPhone I'll get some test drive video. Also I'll make sure to put it through a full pace. AKA "Drive it like I stole it"!!

FoxStang
11-14-2010, 06:02 PM
^ I will for sure do that. If I can keep a steady hand or some how tape my iPhone I'll get some test drive video. Also I'll make sure to put it through a full pace. AKA "Drive it like I stole it"!!
Just what a dealership wants you to do to a car you won't actually buy.

Al
11-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Lately, Kia has been making cars with above-par reliability. I reccomend the Kia SUV to people and they never complain about it.

Cryptic
11-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I test drove a 2010 Kia Sorrento. It had a lot of more power than most mid-sized cross-overs and I test drove them all. Loaded they are cheaper too. They come with 10yr/100k warranties. I wouldn't rule them out. I think they stepped up their game.

Needless to say, we picked up 2011 Chevy Equinox because in the end, thats what the G/F liked more.

I liked the Ford Edge, Mazda CX-7, and Chevy Equinox. I would recommend test driving all 3 before you make a decision.

The Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento basically the same thing. My boss' wife has a Santa Fe and they said it has been flawless to them.

hrsp
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
I test drove a 2010 Kia Sorrento. It had a lot of more power than most mid-sized cross-overs and I test drove them all. Loaded they are cheaper too. They come with 10yr/100k warranties. I wouldn't rule them out. I think they stepped up their game.

Needless to say, we picked up 2011 Chevy Equinox because in the end, thats what the G/F liked more.

I liked the Ford Edge, Mazda CX-7, and Chevy Equinox. I would recommend test driving all 3 before you make a decision.

The Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento basically the same thing. My boss' wife has a Santa Fe and they said it has been flawless to them.

Thanks for the input! how did the cx-7 drive?

Cleveland Dave
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/10/2011kiasportage-1opt.jpg

i really like the look of this.

Waver
11-16-2010, 03:48 PM

CX-7s drive well, the only real complaint is the size of the pass key (it is about the size of a credit card)

FoxStang
11-16-2010, 04:12 PM
CX-7s drive well, the only real complaint is the size of the pass key (it is about the size of a credit card)
This, and I don't know if they ever worked out the issue of the smoke on startups for some of them (turbo seals?)...

Great driver, sporty when it needs to be, drives more like a car than some of the other crossovers in my opinion (if thats what your after)

Flicktitty
11-16-2010, 04:44 PM
My friend has worked for Hyundai for the last few years, me and him got in a little argument about how much Hyundai copies all the major car manufactures and what not.

he then said go drive a new Hyundai then drive the competitors car and see which is "better" he said he hated hyundai when he first started there but now he loves them... must be doing something right?

Cryptic
11-17-2010, 12:05 AM

well the 2.3L turbo is the same motor that is in the Mazda Speed6, just tuned down a little. It wakes up really nice. Mazda was always good at that. (small displacement and small turbos).

I liked the way it drove. We tested a "s Touring". I did not like the placement of the rear backup camera. Forces you to look where the radio is and not into the rear view mirror like the Equinox does. The screen also seemed washed in color in comparison. We liked the color options better on the Equinox (Black Granite Metallic). CX-7 color lineup was not doing it for us. Mazda used to have a black mica but not anymore.

It really came down to personal preference. Both are very nice vehicles. The Mazda dealer really stressed they were willing to work with the price. We didn't make them run some numbers to see, but I would imagine it might of been slightly cheaper with similar options and leather seats in the CX-7.

Exitspeed
11-17-2010, 08:32 AM
My friend has worked for Hyundai for the last few years, me and him got in a little argument about how much Hyundai copies all the major car manufactures and what not.

he then said go drive a new Hyundai then drive the competitors car and see which is "better" he said he hated hyundai when he first started there but now he loves them... must be doing something right?

Hyundai/ Kai have had nothing but derivative designs int he past. But now they got serious and hired some big designers, hence why their vehicles are some of the best looking on he road now.