PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead Series

GTSLOW
11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

Anyone watch it on Sunday? First episode wasn't to bad.

spooln30
11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
I think it's gonna be a cool series. The only thing that I didn't like was the stories beginning. It was just like Resident Evil. Where she woke up in a Hosiptal to find a Zombie fest. Overall I think I'll like it. Heck I love Shun of the Dead.

Bart H
11-03-2010, 11:24 AM
It is only going to get better. It has followed the jist of the comic so far.

British_Ben
11-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I watched it. I thought it was a little slow for a pilot. It has the makings of a good show though, so I'll keep watching and see how it goes.

DerangedPony
11-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Just watched it on Hulu, I think it's going to be a good show.

GTSLOW
11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
God this is why I hate series now we gotta wait another week. Thought this weeks episode was pretty good. I wonder how much dodge paid to put that challenger in there.

Exitspeed
11-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I think it's gonna be a cool series. The only thing that I didn't like was the stories beginning. It was just like Resident Evil. Where she woke up in a Hosiptal to find a Zombie fest. Overall I think I'll like it. Heck I love Shun of the Dead.

I resembled 28 Days Later more. That was one of the things people brought up. But I didn't think it took away from the show at all.

I thought the show was fantastic. I think it is the most Hollywood quality tv show I've ever seen. I mean it didn't look low budget at all.

The pace was just right for me. It wasn't an all out zombie chase-fest. It had emotion, and suspense and very good acting.

The second episode was damn good too. The reviews for the second episode weren't as positive, but from what I read the 3 episode makes up for it.

Good news is the show has been renewed for a second season consisting of 13 episodes.

Between football and TWD Sunday is the best day of the week.

GTSLOW
11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
They were talking about it on the radio today. I guess it had one of the highest number of viewers for a series and the second episode had one of the most retained viewers ever for a series.

Exitspeed
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
They were talking about it on the radio today. I guess it had one of the highest number of viewers for a series and the second episode had one of the most retained viewers ever for a series.

It THE highest number of viewers for an original series. :thumbsup

hrsp
11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
im not a tv show watcher but i dvr the first 3 episodes and i like it alot...now i have 2 shows that i watch...my tv 99% of the time is showing sports or Movies...

GTSLOW
11-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Was indeed a good episode yestersday. Interestead to see what happens. Looks like they come across a gang of survivors that steals their shit.

Exitspeed
11-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Another great episode. His best friend is a dick. At first i was pissed at her, but seems like it's his fault.

Dasred
11-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Another great episode. His best friend is a dick. At first i was pissed at her, but seems like it's his fault.
At first I was the same way, couldn't figure out why she was a bitch about it, then she told us.
Pretty screwed up, I can't decide if they should tell Rick or not, it could go really wrong either way. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

STANMAN
11-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Are they ever going to have a conversation about HOW it fucking happened. If you were "in a coma" and woke up wouldn't that be one of your 1st questions, like is it a virus, is it a gov't test gone wrong, did it spread like wildfire, is the whole US infected, I mean basically what's the news on this whole zombie thing, lol.

fivonut
11-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Are they ever going to have a conversation about HOW it fucking happened. If you were "in a coma" and woke up wouldn't that be one of your 1st questions, like is it a virus, is it a gov't test gone wrong, did it spread like wildfire, is the whole US infected, I mean basically what's the news on this whole zombie thing, lol.

Not likely. The show is based very closely on the comic series. The comic never really gets into how or why it happened and focuses more on the living people and how they interact after the appocolypse.

GTSLOW
11-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Holy fuck this episode was crazy! Only 2 episodes left?? :wtf :(

Moparjim
11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm guessing it was only originalyl green lighted for half a season with our economy money being tight, etc. Obviously, now that it is a success they will probably rapidly crank out and get on a full second season or even more.

ThatWhiteCivic
11-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Watched the episodes and I liked it a lot.

Exitspeed
11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Season two has been ordered with 13 episodes.

fivonut
11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Season two has been ordered with 13 episodes.

That's what I hear too!!!:headbang

GTSLOW
11-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Oh we knew that but we're gonna have to wait how long for? Also I hope they don't rush the second season and kill it!! Maybe we'll finally get to see the helicopter again.

PB86MCSS
11-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I never read the comic (or knew about it before this series) but I'd assume it will closely stick to how the comic book went so far, in my wikipedia search to get more info after I started watching it it looks like there are 20(?) issues so far and it's still going, a relatively new series.

fivonut
11-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I never read the comic (or knew about it before this series) but I'd assume it will closely stick to how the comic book went so far, in my wikipedia search to get more info after I started watching it it looks like there are 20(?) issues so far and it's still going, a relatively new series.

Same here but I found 78 issues.

hrsp
11-22-2010, 10:20 PM
everyone is talking about this show...

Exitspeed
11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
They are actually using the comic book as the story board but adding some characters and other scenarios as well. Which Robert Kirkman gave them his blessing to do since he feels the show is in the right hands.

To say that I've been following this show closely is an understatement.

hrsp
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
im not a tv show person but man i love this show!!

Gregor
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Any place online that I can get caught up on back episodes?

hrsp
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
maybe HULU? or whatever thats called...or even amc.com?

GTSLOW
11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Doesn't AMC usually air the past episodes before the new one? Or at least before the season final show they'll air the whole series.

Either way I'd highly recommend watching them in order.

PB86MCSS
11-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Yep, definitely not a show you should just pick up in the middle on. I saw the first episode on AMC's site as I thought I had DVR'd it, but didn't :goof .

hrsp
11-24-2010, 12:37 AM
yeah gotta see it in order for sure!!!

Gregor
11-24-2010, 07:53 AM
AMC only has small parts of the show on their site. Watched them all a few times, so I have a idea what is going on. On Sunday there showing a encore of last weeks before the new one so I guess I will only be 2 shows back.

It sucks because almost all shows do character dev in the first few shows.

I didn't get to read the comics.

Force4
11-26-2010, 01:05 PM
This show is fantastic for being an original series... Not many shows now a days catches my attention but this sure does.

Gregor
11-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Who does 6 shows and calls it a season these days? Ughh well bring on the season 1 DVD's.

hrsp
11-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Who does 6 shows and calls it a season these days? Ughh well bring on the season 1 DVD's.

i guess they did 6 and depending if it was a flop or if it did very well they would decide on the future...its doing GREAT so they just signed on for 14episodes or something like that!!

Exitspeed
11-29-2010, 08:48 AM

The show has an insane budget (more then any AMC show to date). It's understandable that they wanted to do a short first season to see if it was going to fly.

Luckily it has been a tremendous commercial and critical success and a second season was ordered. I expect this show to last for a long time.

Dasred
11-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Any place online that I can get caught up on back episodes?

Not without paying for it. They streamed the first episode for free but anything after that is gonna cost.
From their site:
"Download episodes from Season 1 on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?id=395373961&s=143441). They are also available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Sneak-Peek/dp/B0049VQZUA/ref=sr_1_9?s=digital-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1288641214&sr=1-9), Cinema Now (http://www.cinemanow.com/), Xbox (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Zune) and Playstation (http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/shows-and-tv-series/)"

I've been thoroughly satisfied with this show so far, I had high expectations and I haven't felt let down at all.

GTSLOW
11-29-2010, 09:11 AM
So what did everyone think of this weeks episode?

Exitspeed
11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Wow. Another great episode. I love that they showed Rick basically panicking. It was good to see him vulnerable.

It doesn't look like we're going to find out about that hicks brother who was left ont he roof this season. The season finale looks like it's going to be pretty intense.

I hope they don't release the first season on DVD by itself. They should wait until the second season is over.

GTSLOW
11-29-2010, 03:40 PM
The brother with one hand and the dad/son from the beggining.

STANMAN
11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
(I didn't watch last night's episode yet, so if I am right, WOW!) I think the brother who got left on the roof and chopped off his hand and stold the van rounded up a bunch of walkers and brought them out to the sight and let them loose for revenge and that's how all those walkers ended up way out in the sticks at the same time.

Voodoo Chick
11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Absolutely LOVING this show, I think they could really develop it into a very memorable series.

STANMAN
11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, I watched last nights episode, guess there's still no explaining how all those walkers got out in the boonies at the same time.

In the preview for the next episode did you notice the CDC guy say that "France was the last to fall"?? I guess that's how you know when Hell really HAS frozen over:rolf Reminds me of an old joke:

Why are all the roads in France lined with trees?

So the Germans can march in the shade.:wow:rolf

GTSLOW
11-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh they left so many unanswered questions, people, etc.. that there's sooo many options for additional episodes. I love this show.

Dasred
12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
(I didn't watch last night's episode yet, so if I am right, WOW!) I think the brother who got left on the roof and chopped off his hand and stold the van rounded up a bunch of walkers and brought them out to the sight and let them loose for revenge and that's how all those walkers ended up way out in the sticks at the same time.

There was no divider from the rear of the van to the cab, they would have eaten him, but I thought that at first too. I think it was just bad timing.

For anyone who needs to catch up on the show, this Sunday starting at 3:30pm AMC is running all of them back to back concluding with the season finale.

I'm excited to see it, but incredibly disappointed that it's going to be a year until we get anymore new episodes.
--Add on to that, my thought that they need to kill Rick's kid off quick, he's gonna start growing up faster than they can film, having to take a year off and all.

hrsp
12-01-2010, 07:53 PM
a full year before any new shows? thats sucks...in a year i prolly wont care anymore about the show...it has to run with its momentum and awesome word of mouth reviews...im not saying rush out shit...but really get busy and try and get new material out ASAP...not in a year...

Dasred
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
They haven't even started filming the new season, it was only just greenlit a few weeks ago. And I read today that Darabont fired the writing staff (He wrote 2 episodes and had to do extensive re-writing on the others himself) so that isn't going to help speed anything up.
I'll be back for Halloween again next year so they can build it up, but it'll keep us going with 13 episodes next time, and I'm assuming we'll see a third season not to long after that.

PB86MCSS
12-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Kind of like Eastbound and Down, different genre obviously but that was about 2 years between seasons and both were pretty short, 6-8 episodes each IIRC.

Exitspeed
12-06-2010, 08:29 AM
What a phenomenal season finale. Tons of suspense (even thoguh you knew they were going to get out), some good drama, and some action. Very very good season. Sucks we have to wait so long for the next season.

Oh and they did NOT fire the writers. The producer said it's not true: http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1138535p1.html

GTSLOW
12-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Well this sucks ass. :( Back to sunday night football.

Gregor
12-10-2010, 03:25 AM
(even thoguh you knew they were going to get out)

I was not so sure, it would have been easy to restart next season with a new cast. And depending on how the ratings were the Alt season finale would have been them dieing in CDC. Thus ending the series and completing it as a "Mini series".

Glad they didn't. Is just me or is Andrea smoking hot?

Exitspeed
12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I was not so sure, it would have been easy to restart next season with a new cast. And depending on how the ratings were the Alt season finale would have been them dieing in CDC. Thus ending the series and completing it as a "Mini series".

Glad they didn't. Is just me or is Andrea smoking hot?

Well it's based on the comic book so it was obvious most of the characters would live. Although Shane should have already been dead by now.

The whole CDC thing was not part of the comic book however.

Exitspeed
02-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Has anyone read the comics? I've been buying the hard cover books and reading through them. Done with the first one and 3/4 way through the second.

The writing is great. I can't wait to see where they go with the tv show now that I know what goes on after where they left off in the show. Which btw didn't happen at all in the comic. There's actually quite a bit that different between the book and show. The opening scene though was almost exact though.

GHOSST
02-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread! I love that show!!! We got the 1st season DVD (6 episodes and all) on reserve, can't wait!

I love Zombies, and this series is very well done. The Zombies aren't on crack like Dawn of the Dead (new), and their not to lame or slow like Land of The Dead (terrible movie).

Average paced, can limp run (lol), and are hella dangerous in groups! Just enough of survivability for me! Not to easy, but manageable if your apocalypse ready :thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
02-05-2011, 05:17 PM
im liking the show too i must say

GHOSST
02-06-2011, 02:53 AM
As much as it would suck, how do you think you'd fare in this scenario guys?

Hell, I'd be one hell of a survivor. I wouldn't give a shit who'd I'd have to kill, zombies are zombies, lol.

Reverend Cooper
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
yeah agreed i can shoot any zombie,living off the land would we ok too

fivonut
02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Shooting zombies is easy. It's the shooting live people that most will struggle with. In any post apocalyptic society you're going to have roaming gangs stealing and taking anything they need. It's not as easy to pull the trigger when it's a live person in your sights!!

BR3W CITY
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Shooting zombies is easy. It's the shooting live people that most will struggle with. It's not as easy to pull the trigger when it's a live person in your sights!!

Given a reason, and no foreseable consequence...I don't think it would as hard as you may think. At that point, peoples opinions on human life gravitate to extremes. Either EVERY human life is precious (no matter how low-life) because of limited amount of survivors....OR kill anything that gets in your way, breathing or not.

GHOSST
02-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Shooting zombies is easy. It's the shooting live people that most will struggle with. In any post apocalyptic society you're going to have roaming gangs stealing and taking anything they need. It's not as easy to pull the trigger when it's a live person in your sights!!

You don't think people would band together for better survival? I would have no mercy on anyone thats bitten, but I would definitely seek other survivors who may possess the skills to survive longer, i.e. medical people, muscle, mechanics, scientist, military people... The roaming gangs would probably be the first to fall, because if someone tried to steal my survival tools from me or anyone in my new found group, they would get shot just like any mindless zombie. I wouldn't mind pulling that trigger.

fivonut
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
You don't think people would band together for better survival?

Sure they would. On both sides. Those who have the skills would band with others, and those who don't have skills would band with others and steal from those who do.

I'm just sayin, everybody talks about a zombie apocolypse and thinks about how much fun it would to blast animated dead people in the face ( I agree), but there's also going to be those with no skills who think the have's owe them something (just like now only there won't be gov. to give it to them) who will travel in packs taking from the "weak". You're going to have to blast these people in the face just the same as the dead, if you want to survive.

I'd bet most people would hesitate or try and talk their way out of it and find themselves on the losing end. It's not as easy to kill a living human being as most people think, even if you fully understand that you're in a life or death situation. If your avatar is any indication I'd think you of all people would know that!! How much training have you gone through just to get rid of that hesitation you feel when a live person is in your sights?

GTSLOW
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
yeah agreed i can shoot any zombie,living off the land would we ok too

If we get invaded by zombies I'm coming over and stealing that mini shotgun/pistol thing you have.

Reverend Cooper
02-07-2011, 10:05 PM
RIght,I guess thats right after i shoot you in the face for trying to take it?\
Its called. The Judge

Exitspeed
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Nice conversation.

Not to ruin too much of the future plots but I'm on the third book now and some crazy shit is going down along the lines of this topic. Allen (the asian guy), Rick, and Michonne (she hasn't been introduced in the show yet) just wound up in a real fucked up situation with a real fucked up guy running a blocked off part of a city.

Of course the book is still just a book, but the story is very plausible (if the zombie apocalypse ever happens) with how people deal with to their new lives. There's people that you think are fine, and they turn around and commit suicide, the stress gets to people and they lose themselves a bit, you see a glimmer of hope and end up totally fucked, etc etc.

one funny scenario has been that a women has proposed to Lori...to marry her...and be married to her and Rick and have a family together. lol. It sounds silly but the way it comes about is well done. And the woman's argument is that why do they have to follow old rules. That is something you have to think about.

GHOSST
02-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Sure they would. On both sides. Those who have the skills would band with others, and those who don't have skills would band with others and steal from those who do.

I'm just sayin, everybody talks about a zombie apocolypse and thinks about how much fun it would to blast animated dead people in the face ( I agree), but there's also going to be those with no skills who think the have's owe them something (just like now only there won't be gov. to give it to them) who will travel in packs taking from the "weak". You're going to have to blast these people in the face just the same as the dead, if you want to survive.

I'd bet most people would hesitate or try and talk their way out of it and find themselves on the losing end. It's not as easy to kill a living human being as most people think, even if you fully understand that you're in a life or death situation. If your avatar is any indication I'd think you of all people would know that!! How much training have you gone through just to get rid of that hesitation you feel when a live person is in your sights?

Even though I am military, I think in a post apocalyptic world my skills would only fraction whats needed to survive, but would keep me in a well known rational mind, and not a trigger happy lunatic who has given up all hope... But like ExitSpeed was saying, with all the conflict in characters and emotions in the series, after awhile I think this would be the biggest problem down the road with any group...

PB86MCSS
02-08-2011, 07:28 PM
As much as it would suck, how do you think you'd fare in this scenario guys?

Hell, I'd be one hell of a survivor. I wouldn't give a shit who'd I'd have to kill, zombies are zombies, lol.

Call me weird but I've thought about the same thing (not just Zombies but an apocolypse scenario), don't worry only very briefly :goof . I'd like to think I'd do ok but since I don't own any weapons myself, would need to be able to scrounge some up real quick. As tough as we all are I certainly can't imagine the mental part of going through it all though, which is what makes this series original to the zombie genre and appealing.

GHOSST
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
As tough as we all are I certainly can't imagine the mental part of going through it all though, which is what makes this series original to the zombie genre and appealing.

Exactly, I think that's why everyone loves it, critics and all. And if they incorporate crazy stuff like Exitspeed was saying, that would make for some raunchy good, emtional television, lol.

fivonut
02-08-2011, 08:10 PM
There's millions of possibilities to think of. Animated dead are just a small fraction of what will need to be dealt with. I think that's what I like most about this series. The zombies are almost a side story, the main story is the living and how they cope and deal. One thing I've never seen from a zombie series is a look at the inbetween stage of a zombie apocolyse and society as we know it. Imagine the martial law, will weapons be confiscated? Will you have to fight the military just to hold onto your arms just so you have a chance of surviving the coming apocolypse? There's millions of things to consider!!!

Even though I am military, I think in a post apocalyptic world my skills would only fraction whats needed to survive, but would keep me in a well known rational mind, and not a trigger happy lunatic who has given up all hope... But like ExitSpeed was saying, with all the conflict in characters and emotions in the series, after awhile I think this would be the biggest problem down the road with any group...

GHOSST
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Well WD does it right, not to much, not to little.

Remember the updated version of Dawn of The Dead? One of my favorite Zombie movies but totally f'ing sucky because the zombies were all on crack and could run full speed all the time.... No fun!!! Only the strong survive in that scenario, lol.

Exitspeed
02-09-2011, 11:57 AM
The original Dawn is my favorite zombie movie ever. The remake was enjoyable though.

BR3W CITY
02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
I liked Land of the Dead, I think thats the 2nd one in the re-make series...where the zombies learn to use tools. Now thats scary.

Exitspeed
02-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I liked Land of the Dead, I think thats the 2nd one in the re-make series...where the zombies learn to use tools. Now thats scary.

Land wasn't a remake. It was actually done by Romero as a continuation of his zombie series. After Land came Diary, and after Diary came Survival.

Diary was TERRIBLE. I was so excited that it was being released in select cities and it was playing at Mayfair. Wife and I went and saw it and couldn't believe how bad it was.

Survival was only slightly better.

IMO Romero's movies are good in this order:

Dawn '78
Night '68
Day '85

Land '05

Survival '09

Diary '07

I think he should have stuck with 1 Dead movie every decade.

GHOSST
02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Land wasn't a remake. It was actually done by Romero as a continuation of his zombie series. After Land came Diary, and after Diary came Survival.

Diary was TERRIBLE. I was so excited that it was being released in select cities and it was playing at Mayfair. Wife and I went and saw it and couldn't believe how bad it was.

Survival was only slightly better.

IMO Romero's movies are good in this order:

Dawn '78
Night '68
Day '85

Land '05

Survival '09

Diary '07

I think he should have stuck with 1 Dead movie every decade.

^ This.

Those last few were just horrible!!! I also enjoyed the original Dawn of the Dead, and did you notice both cops made an appearance in the new one? As the pastor and the general? Well, I watched the extras to notice, lol, but still pretty awesome. And I was a little upset they left out the Bikers in the new one, but the bike leader made an appearance as the Sheriff in the update, that was pretty funny.

I'd say Night was my favorite Romero movie, but I will never forget "Zombie" (Zombi 2) by Lucio Fulci., watching this as I grew up, made me terrified of Zombies as a kid, that scene were the zombie breaks through the door and pulls that chicks eyeball through the splinter, classic!!!! Good stuff.

Gregor
02-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Not really about WD but a good read.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400050802

Exitspeed
02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Not really about WD but a good read.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400050802

I have that and WWZ (same author)/ I thought the Suvival Guide was better then WWZ. They are two completely different books though. The writing isn't all that great, but what do you expect from a zombie book.

If you are looking for an entertaining story day by Day Armageddon is really good. I haven't had a chance to read the second book yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Armageddon-J-L-Bourne/dp/1439176671/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

TWD though is by far the best zombie literature I've read.

Exitspeed
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Just a a heads up i went to borders today to see if they had any books left and they did. Its all 20% off. If u want the hardcover books they have all 6. I bought 4, 5, and 6. They also had 2 of the compendium books which are paper backs bit are 1-5 of the hardcovers. Plus they had a bunch of smaller paper backs.