PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about getting a hand gun...

Max 93
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
...but I don't know shit about them. I would like a semi auto maybe a 9mm ? Would be used for target shooting and home protection. Any ideas on a brand or size that would be good. Anyone have something used for sale ?

fivonut
11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
The Springfield XD and XDm's are nice guns. Glock recently released the Gen 4 G19. I have a Gen 3 G19 that is compensated and I love it. You can find inexpensive handguns out there but once you find out the much better quality guns on the market you'll want to get rid of it and move up. My brother has a S&W M&P and it's a great gun!! There's quite a few other out there. Best thing you could do is find a range that rents them, try a few out and find one that fits you comfortably.

Once you figure it out, PM me. I'll get you a price.

Silver350
11-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Nothing used here. But I have to say do some looking on the internet and see what you like and what you want to spend. Then go to a dealer and finger them to see which one you like in your hand the most.

Coops Brother
11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a Glock G23, it is used but in very nice shape. It's a .40 SW, 13 rd mag, it is a great shooting gun and is quite accurate, it also has night sights. I will ship to your FFL where you can do the transfer paperwork. Looking for $425.00

Rocket Power
11-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P FTW. Interchangeable backstraps to fit your hand size.

I also have a Glock 22 .40 and used to have a G23 for years and like the M&P more. I've shot a XD and didn't like it, one thing they have is marketing:goof and Springfield Armory giving themselves the name of the former gov't arsenal name so they can sell the croation xd's for much more than when they were the HS2000 pre-SA

I'm also a fan of 3rd Gen S&W's and may sell my Glock to get another.

Best advise is to go and rent a few at a gun shop/range. So you get what fits YOU. What fits me or someone else best may not work for you. Better to spend a few bucks renting than $500-600 on something you find out isn't for you and end up with buyers remorse.

Reverend Cooper
11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
i have a tauraus 24/7 9mm with lazer,case,2 mags all literature and bore brush for sale

Coops Brother
11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
i have a tauraus 24/7 9mm with lazer,case,2 mags all literature and bore brush for sale

^^^^^^Nice weapon^^^^^^

I sold it to him ;)

BR3W CITY
11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
IMO a Taurus will get you the most gun for the most reasonable price. Rent something at a range first and see what feels good. 9mm ammo is the cheapest and you get the highest capacity, but its less powerful (packs enough wallop with a good round tho). 40+45 is a bit pricier but a .45 can f*ck shit up pretty nicely.

Max 93
11-03-2010, 07:41 AM
have any names of gun ranges that rent guns ?

WI_Dave
11-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Badger in MIlwaukee did last time I was there

TheRX7Project
11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
They still do you just have to sign a waiver saying you won't blow your brains all over the floor.

srt4eh
11-03-2010, 09:37 AM
The Springfield XD and XDm's are nice guns. Glock recently released the Gen 4 G19. I have a Gen 3 G19 that is compensated and I love it. You can find inexpensive handguns out there but once you find out the much better quality guns on the market you'll want to get rid of it and move up. My brother has a S&W M&P and it's a great gun!! There's quite a few other out there. Best thing you could do is find a range that rents them, try a few out and find one that fits you comfortably.

Once you figure it out, PM me. I'll get you a price.

I've been looking at getting a Springfield XDm for recreational shooting and home protection.....any thoughts on which caliber to get? 9mm, 40S&W, 45. I don't want the 9mm....just was curious about thoughts on the other two. Sorry to kinda threadjack but the OP might like the info as well.

WI_Dave
11-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I am partial to the .40 s&w myself. I think its a nice all around gun. Not too big, not too small, fairly cheap ammo ect.

BR3W CITY
11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I think the .40 is kind of a bastard size. For as much "snap" as it has, you might as well be firing a .45 ACP

Rocket Power
11-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Badger in MIlwaukee did last time I was there

I believe they stopped after the last suicide, but I could be wrong it may have been temporary.

Shooters shop on 84th and Flecthers in Waukesha do

Rocket Power
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I've been looking at getting a Springfield XDm for recreational shooting and home protection.....any thoughts on which caliber to get? 9mm, 40S&W, 45. I don't want the 9mm....just was curious about thoughts on the other two. Sorry to kinda threadjack but the OP might like the info as well.

Any of the 3 is a good choice with modern ammo, whether you want more rounds/cheaper ammo with the 9mm or you have to compensate for " size issues" by getting a .45:goof:rolf J/K

fivonut
11-03-2010, 09:00 PM

I have a 40 and I like it. The 45's weren't available when I got mine. It comes down to what you're comfortable with and how much you're willing to spend on ammo. Price on the guns themselves is only about a $25 difference.

I probably wouldn't have gotten a 45 anyway because I have a 1911 that I enjoy shooting.

Slow5oh
11-07-2010, 03:11 AM
Just picked up an MnP 45. shooting it at Midwestern tomorrow for the first time.