PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Coyote hunting...

TheRX7Project
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I've never hunted anything before, but I want to try it. I really want to try coyote hunting. I checked the DNR's website and I can't make sense out of what kind of license I need. Is it just a regular small game license?

Where is a good place to go that's not TOO far away for coyote? (A few hours is OK but I don't want to spend my whole day driving).

Any tips or hints or suggestions as to hunting them? Websites to check out?

I know, I'm a total newbie... but I figured better to ask than to try and figure it all out on my own.

WI_Dave
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Small game license covers it and I believe its open year round. You can shoot them with a bow under the archery license too. I know more guys do it in winter but I dont know where a good spot around here would be. A private farm probably would be best and land owners usually want to get rid of em anyhow.

PureSound15
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I was under the impression (and I could be very wrong) that you're allowed to shoot coyotes on a farm without a license because they're pests? This was 10 years ago or so when I was told just after I had one run past me.

Either way, I know there isn't a bag limit, and there's very few restrictions. I think there's something about deer gun season, which is fast approaching.

DirtyMax
11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
It's an obsession of mine in the winter time. I already have people calling me to come take care of some. They're getting pretty brave nowadays!

As soon as bowhunting is over for me, I will move on to coyotes. I'll give you a holler when I have a hunt planned and you're welcome to tag along but most of them are last minute when I have a few hours to kill.

TheRX7Project
11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
That would be awesome. ^^ With my work schedule it may be tough to tag along (especially on short notice) but hopefully I can at least once.

The deer season rule only applies to the northern part of the state.

xxtremeteam
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
dirty max can you add me to tag along sometime? I can pm you my info I also would love to try this

DirtyMax
11-02-2010, 08:12 PM
No doubt. If you could secure some permission to hunt any farms up your way, that would be cool too!! Most people, especially farmers, have no problem letting a crew come take out a few varmints.

SSLEVO
11-03-2010, 10:24 PM
It's an obsession of mine in the winter time. I already have people calling me to come take care of some. They're getting pretty brave nowadays!

As soon as bowhunting is over for me, I will move on to coyotes. I'll give you a holler when I have a hunt planned and you're welcome to tag along but most of them are last minute when I have a few hours to kill.

Lol, sorry

DirtyMax
02-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Went out with a buddy on a total last minute whim tonight. Saw 5, shot 4. I will get some of the crappy pics off of my phone later.

During one set, my friend laid in the field and called. Three came in. One of the coyotes made a bee line right for him and came within 15 feet. I thought it was going to jump him.

By far our most productive outing to date!

theavenger333
02-24-2011, 02:19 AM
last i knew you can kill coyotes in wisconsin whenever you want....

DirtyMax
02-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Pretty much but it's a heck of a lot easier with some moonlight and snow cover that's for sure. All you need is a small game license. You just have to be careful down here because a lot of cities have firearms ordinances. In general, the rules are pretty laxed and alot of the homeowners and farmers want them gone.

Did you get my PM BTW??

Here are a few pics:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Yoders/IMAG01142.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Yoders/IMAG01133.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Yoders/IMAG01092.jpg

TheRX7Project
02-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Sweet!

73MACH
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Nice! Pretty nice sized coyotes too!

flyin_blue_egg
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
WTF you do with them. I'm guessing you could do something with the furs, but do ppl also eat the meat??

DirtyMax
02-24-2011, 01:11 PM
The furs are tanned. We have a guy who takes them. The carcasses are disposed of.... or dropped off at the nearest Taco Bell...

Coops Brother
02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Coyote season is open year round with a small game lic. or if you are a landowner you don't need to buy a small game lic. if you hunt your property. Season is closed during gun deer season during daytime hunting hours.

Check out predatormasters.com, lots of info there.