PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin DOR

95mustang302
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM
The budget must be worse than we all thought around here because this is simply ridiculous.

I get home from work today and check my mail to find a notice from the WI DOR regarding my recent registration and tax payment for the CTS-V I bought. Essentially I need to provide a bill of sale to them from the dealership proving the price I paid for the car because they don't believe the price that was put down on the DMV form by the bank. The letter states that because the price I paid is below the average wholesale value of the car that they need substantiation to prove the price paid.

03Seville
11-01-2010, 10:48 PM
^lol^ they are def just going after people in your position to make $$$

I got a letter from them today too telling me I had license plates that were not currently registered to a vehicle (from the Stealth I sold) and then it went on to say that if they are being used right now than they need to be renewed...

95mustang302
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
LOL, for all the money their spending to send out these letters and have these Revenue Agents work these cases they could be working on something much more worthwhile, like how to solve the daycare problem...

Crawlin
11-02-2010, 08:21 AM
LOL, for all the money their spending to send out these letters and have these Revenue Agents work these cases they could be working on something much more worthwhile, like how to solve the daycare problem...

This is a democratic state.... that's too hard for them. Easy money to show the public "look at what we did". Hard money would take too much time to go after and they couldn't say they did anything then.

animal
11-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Fucking gay tax state.

At the same time... this is brought on by people selling cars worth 10, 20, 30k and writing down "$500" as the selling price to get out of paying thousands in taxes. Sucks that they do it, but if anything it's just testament to how good of a deal you got :) I doubt it's really some person that directly works each registration but more likely an algorithm that's run against each and it flags the ones that could be sketchy.

Windsors 03 Cobra
11-02-2010, 10:07 AM
I cant even believe people put down $500 sale price on a 10 or 30 thousand dollar car and also agree that the DOR has seem to become nazi's on sale prices.
I put low prices on hoopties.
I'm just glad we dont have to pay an annual tax on the vehicles value like many other crap ass states do but I know that is probably what is next in this state. Gotta keep them gubmint workers rolling in the dough somehow.

pw_cc_runner
11-02-2010, 10:54 AM
My parents got one of those letters about 15 years ago on a Bonneville they bought that was an ex-company car. It was two years old, but already had over 100,000 miles on it and they thought it should have been worth more. They just got an invoice from the company sent off and never heard about it again.

FoxStang
11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I got the same letter on my Explorer last year, I threw it out. Haven't heard from them since. You don't have to tell them shit, don't waste your time.

BR3W CITY
11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
What happens if you don't do anything? Won't it be on them to prove that you DIDN'T get it for that price?

FoxStang
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
What happens if you don't do anything? Won't it be on them to prove that you DIDN'T get it for that price?
Me and three other people I know have gotten these, we all did nothing and you guessed it.... nothing happened. I think its the states way of trying to voluntarily coax more money out of people.

Plum Crazy
11-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I bought a 2002 ford windstar back in 2006 for 500 bucks, i got a letter from the DMV saying i needed to provide not only documentation that i only paid 500 for it, but also pictures of said vehicle. The letter stated if no information was returned within 60 days i would be charged the tax for a vehicle that blue booked at 9500 dollars.

tommyt5078
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I bought a 2002 ford windstar back in 2006 for 500 bucks, i got a letter from the DMV saying i needed to provide not only documentation that i only paid 500 for it, but also pictures of said vehicle. The letter stated if no information was returned within 60 days i would be charged the tax for a vehicle that blue booked at 9500 dollars.

And then what happened?

Rocket Power
11-02-2010, 07:38 PM

I could see someone questioning a $500 4 year old car