PDA

View Full Version : Sold vehicle now in tow yard......

Car Guy
11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
My very good friend sold a `95 Neon one year ago and today received a notice from Ray's towing. It was towed Oct. 24th and will be crushed in 22 days unless the $180 tow($110)/storage($10 per day) fee is paid. He has no idea of the condition or mechanical condition but is willing to pay the fee if worthwhile. Surprisingly after the many vehicles sold over the years I have very little experience with a situation like this.....

How should he go about this...???

michelle
11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Well was the vehicle abandoned? If so, would he get an "abandoned vehicle certificate"? If he can get one of those, he can take it to the DMV and get a title (it will be a title in whatever form it was last registered as, but could be a "junk title" if notice was given to DMV that it was "junked" at some point).

Or is he just looking at picking it up to part it out?

Rocket Power
11-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm guessing whoever he sold it to never titled it in their name, so to the state it's still his which is why the tow company contacted him. My guess anyway

michelle
11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Then it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement title.

Car Guy
11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm guessing whoever he sold it to never titled it in their name, so to the state it's still his which is why the tow company contacted him. My guess anyway

This is my thinking also. Why else would Ray's send him this letter...???

Or is he just looking at picking it up to part it out?

I have no idea of his plans but the car was mechanically top notch when sold one year ago. He asked me if the car can be inspected before paying the fees to determine if it is worthwhile. I have no idea but guess no.....

Ricky Bobby
11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I had teh same thing happen to me with a 79 linc sold for 600 got towed cost me 80 since it was towed to a yard my buddy worked at got it back sold it again for 600 lol not bad for $130 car (spent $50 to buy orginally)

WI_Dave
11-02-2010, 11:00 AM
It was never registered and towed. Since he was last registered owner they contacted him. If he sold it and the guy has a reciept he can get in trouble for possessing a stolen vehicle. If its not his he can't claim it is. It probably is not worth taking the chance to me.

Slow Joe
11-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Personally... I'd ignore it...

I got one of those letters on a car I sold, and I ignored it. If the person that bought the car didn't register it in a year, his/her loss...

Car Guy
11-02-2010, 08:12 PM
If he sold it and the guy has a reciept he can get in trouble for possessing a stolen vehicle. If its not his he can't claim it is

I talked to somebody who works in towing and this is what he said. My friend did give the buyer a bill of sale......