PDA

View Full Version : Insulate those pipes

jbiscuit
10-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Just a tip for those of you with older homes. Looking for a way to maximizeyour energy bills this winter that doesn't cost much and is easy? Buy some water pipe insulation and tackle this. Those bare exposed water pipes in your cold basement are wasting lots of energy. Menards carries foam insulation ready to install. Just cut the sections to length and snap them onto the pipe and you are done. They are preslit to slip over the pipes easily. I also zip tied mine to secure them more permanently. Menards also carries a foil backed foam tape that you can use on the elbows and tee fittings and secure it with a zip tie again. If your pipes are dusty the tape won't stick. Insulate the hot pipes to reduce the heat loss as the water is carried from the water heater and the water feed pipe to the water heater.

Overall time invested: 2 hours. Cost: $22. Not bad. Just wanted to pass this tip along in case anyone is looking for an easy project to tackle that will likely show some savings on your energy bill.

Yooformula
10-31-2010, 07:28 PM
hell yeah! I also replaced basement windows that helped to reduce extra cold from coming into the basement. cheap and easy to do, no need for plastic bubbles on the outside to stop the cold, plus so many come with dual paned glass with sliders and screens, its nice to be able to get fresh air into the basement during the nicer days.

pOrk
10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Did this my my parents house and it made no difference, same with my house. Just an FYI, unless you use a shitload of hot water it ain't gonna do anything imo.

Alot more money can be saved my insulation between your exposed floor boards around the walls in the basement.

jbiscuit
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I'd agree Pork that insulating the walls will provide more benefit but at a greater cost though as well. This costs little to do. Another energy tip would be to buy an insulation jacket for the water heater to help control heat loss there as well

Yooformula
10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Did this my my parents house and it made no difference, same with my house. Just an FYI, unless you use a shitload of hot water it ain't gonna do anything imo.

I did notice less time was needed for hot water to get to the sink though.

I didnt think about some insulation in the floor boards though, I bet it might help with my cold ass kitchen floor.

animal
11-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Lol, i did that when i bought my house... i didn't mind the cost... but I want my 2 hours back that I spent installing that useless shit.

xxsn0blindxx
11-01-2010, 09:52 AM
You wil not make your money back, but it does seem to help get hot water to the tap faster, could just be placebo effect. One of the previous owners of our house installed the insulation, but they put it on the cold water lines going to the water heater. I had a good laugh when I found that.

awsomeears
11-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I wont agree or disagree as $22 bucks for a project well done is never a BAD idea !!!

Now insulating the Sill Plates in the basement with insulation is proven to reduce heat loss by 15%

Some homes its worse because its the sill plate and then a thin layer of brick or what not

05caddyext
11-01-2010, 08:36 PM
you don't have to use tape on the elbows and tees, they sell those in foam also. all different sizes. same stuff as the regular pipe insulation. I wrapped mine because I am finishing my basement and I dont want condensation on in the ceiling that I cant see. won't save you money though, its never that cold in the basement. you should insulate your water heater, thats worth it.

jbiscuit
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Those foam tees are a couple bucks a piece...not worth it for the cost. This was mant to be an easy project on the cheap. Agree on the basement wall sill insulation tho not sure about the 15% reduction in heat loss. That seems a bit high but regardless a worthwhile addition

awsomeears
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Its not like the heat is going out of the sill plates its more along the lines of the COLD cooling the floors/perimeter down and pulling the heat out by heat transfer....

Of course each home is different but man o man some of the homes I'm in it wouldn't shock me :-0

jbiscuit
11-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Haha I bet! Where you can see daylight along the sill and feel the cold winter air just coming right in lol