PDA

View Full Version : Who is our resident car audio guru?

GTSLOW
10-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Looking to put a new radio in my '96 TDI Passat. The one in there now isn't working so I'm assuming it's that fuse on the back. But either ways it's a factory AM/FM cassette.

What would be a cheap reliable radio w/ cd+aux input that would be a direct install? I've never dealt with anything car audio related before so I'm lost. I've heard horror stories about adapter harnesses/brackets.

Slow5oh
10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I've never gone wrong with a 130.00 Pioneer decks.

That or the Alpine CDA 117 is an awesome deck a little bit more, but worth it imho

being a v dub I have no clue how the install will be, but just got to wal-mart/best buy/local store and get the dash kit, and buy the harness as well, don't go cutting your factory harness off like some hack jobs like to do.

GTSLOW
10-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Could I use a walmart harness on this? Also this looks small enough like the stocker would it just slide in?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+50W+x+4+MOSFET+In-Dash+CD+Deck+with+MP3+Playback+and+Detachable+Face plate/1149632.p?id=1218225362200&skuId=1149632

Yooformula
10-29-2010, 02:05 AM
sometimes it easy to just check out crutchfield to see what fits and what harnesses you need then find em at walmart.

03CVLX
10-29-2010, 07:42 AM
I went with crutchfield when I ordered all my stuff. You might pay a bit more for the deck. But you get the mounting kit,adapter harness, and some other stuff free. It varies depending on car type.

As far as Car audio Guru on here I would probably have to say Ryan Puresound is who stands out in my mind.

Karps TA
10-29-2010, 08:20 AM
sometimes it easy to just check out crutchfield to see what fits and what harnesses you need then find em at walmart.

What they said. But not only that, most times I find Crutchfield to be even cheaper since they throw in most the install stuff and they have terrific specific vehicle instructions.

Decks are crazy cheap nowadays for what you all get. What you get in a sub $200 deck now I remember paying $6-700 for years ago. If you've got an Ipod there's a ton of Ipod capable decks so you can get the full features and sound. Not just the horrible muted Aux cable

GTSLOW
10-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Wow cruthfield is awesome. Looks like they have the same price for that radio as well. Only thing is it says the radio will fit but I will have to "Unbolt or cut out the factory stereo's rear support bracket to make room for your new receiver. "

BR3W CITY
10-29-2010, 09:04 AM
be careful with the walmart harness. When I went to buy one for my blazer, they only had the generic "GM 95-03" or "88-95", both of which were incorrect.

PureSound15
10-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Wow cruthfield is awesome. Looks like they have the same price for that radio as well. Only thing is it says the radio will fit but I will have to "Unbolt or cut out the factory stereo's rear support bracket to make room for your new receiver. "

That's easy. I've done it in that vehicle before.

Sounds like you've got this one under wraps. I picked up a deck for the Cobra from Project Two this summer - it's an Alipine IDA-X303.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=alpine+x303&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11379443121094139057&ei=T9jKTOCUKsu4ngeM2pDqDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCMQ8wIwAw#

It doesn't have a CD player which actually worked perfectly. I put music on a flash drive and hooked it up and it's great. Josepy bought the same deck, too.

GTSLOW
10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
^ That thing looks bad ass. Where does the aux input plug into?

PureSound15
10-29-2010, 12:10 PM
There is a USB slot in the back. In comes with the cord that you can run anywhere for either US plug in, or it has an IPOD adapter as well.

spooln30
10-29-2010, 01:11 PM
sonic electrix has way better prices that any other place. My new poineer deck was $239 at Sonic and $339 at Crutchfield.

Slow5oh
10-29-2010, 01:32 PM
yes Crutchfield is only good for finding out what fits in your car.

Sonicelectronix, woofersetc.com as well

Karps TA
10-29-2010, 02:04 PM
When you add in the price of the install kit, antenna adpater and harness that Crutchfield usually throws in for free, you can easily add up the price difference when going to a discount place. I just bought a Kenwood KIV-700 deck from Crutchfield. Sonic was $80 cheaper to begin with, but by the time I added up the install stuff they ended up being $20 more.

I typically buy my speakers and amps from Sonic and other online retailers. But to me the decks are usually worth buying from Crutchfield. And if you don't know what you're doing, or how to replace the stuff, Crutchfields tech support is A1.

Plus search online, there's almost always coupon codes active out there to use.

Rocket Power
10-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Our 99 VW doesn't need an adapter for a DIN radio, I would assume a 96 would be the same. You just mount the sleeve that comes with the radio in the dash and slide the unit in. I believe ours does has a antenna adapter though in addition the the harness adapter. I took out a POS old panasonic that was in our and put in a cheap Sony that sounds WAY better. Found out our car was equipped with a factory cd changer too when I was checking out the trunk:rolf

spooln30
10-29-2010, 09:41 PM
I got a free install kit with my Pioneer head unit from Sonic. And their standard shipping was also free with any item over $200 I think. My package arrived in three days, which is very fast and made me very happy. The Pioneer MVH-P8200BT I bought is the cats ass. I love ever feature that this receiver offers. I went fully digital due to my older Pioneer CD receiver skipping all the time from the bass of my subs. Damn burnt CD's.
IMO Pioneer makes the best car audio receivers in the game today. Even the cheaper units are really nice. My uncle just got a Pioneer CD receiver with a USB and MP3 front ports. He said he paid $60 at Best Buy. Great deal IMO.

GTSLOW
10-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Well looks like crutchfield also includes a vehicle specific install guide. According to the site I need the antenna adaptor, harness, and VW/Audi tool. Only thing is the harness has bare wires and I want to get a plug and play.

My two goals for this thing electronic wise is to get better headlights and a radio w/ aux input.

PureSound15
10-29-2010, 11:56 PM
You do need the tools, but if you go to a shop they might pull it for you. Don't bother with a coat hanger or any of that, just get the real thing.

I'm not sure what you mean about plug and play. You mean you don't want to splice the radio harness into the adapter harness? It's color coded and you need to crimp pre-stripped wires... it's about as easy as it gets.

spooln30
10-30-2010, 12:11 AM
+1 with PureSound. All wiring adapters you will have to splice together from the radios wiring harness to the install harness. Then you just plug it into the factory plug. Like PureSound also stated they are all color coded so it super easy.
Good Luck

GTSLOW
10-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh that's not to bad, was thinking I had to cut my factory harness.

PureSound15
10-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Nope. You'll just be plugging in the adapter harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTSLOW
11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Ryan I found this older head unit on BB.com. According to crutchfield I wouldn't need anything to install. Does this mean the radio/antenna plugs into the factory harness?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XHD6420/Dual-XHD6420.html?search=XHD6420&tp=5684