PDA

View Full Version : code p0440

88Nightmare
10-27-2010, 05:57 PM
code p0440 keeps popping up on a 2002 cavalier 4 door with the 2.2 liter. I replaced the fuel cap and cleared the code, but it came back on 3 days later. Any suggestions? The code means evaporative system malfunction. Car needs to pass emissions test by november 15th

Sprayaway Fox
10-27-2010, 07:36 PM
cracked evap line? Thats alot of components but you can always get it smoked out also to find if you have a leak

Holeshot
10-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Could be canister purge solenoid or a number of other things. Should really do a smoke test to eliminate any possible leaks.

Slow5oh
10-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Easy fix. clear it and leave it. It doesn't affect the car. My car still gets the same MPG as when it was new, and passes emissions.

spooln30
10-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Most likely it's gonna be the canister vent valve. Or the canister itself. Easiest way would be to run a smoke machine and you can turn on and off the vent valve with the use of a scan tool. If smoke comes out when closed, bad Valve. One thing to remember is that when the car is KOEO the vent valve will remain open. But I am willing to place money on the vent valve being bad. GL
Keith

Dr.Buick
10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
You can add power to the vent and see if it clicks. I have seen broken wires at the vent. The fuel filler necks also crack inside the filler. I have done about 20 of thoes this year already.

Reverend Cooper
10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
hey Dr. Pubic is back Yaaaaaaayyyyy

brotherbenn83
10-27-2010, 08:50 PM
The most common fail point on any gm car is the vent valve. On the J bodies, the fuel filler neck also likes to rust thru as mentioned. There used to be an issue with the harness being too short and wire being broken for the vent valve, but that was pretty much cleared up by 2002. If you want to know for sure get ahold of someone that has a Tech 2 or comparable scan tool that can command EVAP components on and off (to see if you can pull/maintain/dump vacuum) or a smoke machine that can pinpoint your leak. Feel free to contact me if you want it done on the side.

Ben

05caddyext
10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I still don't understand why people take their cars to emissions. Just register the thing in another county and never worry about it again. Don't understand why people don't do this.

Dr.Buick
10-28-2010, 08:01 AM
I still don't understand why people take their cars to emissions. Just register the thing in another county and never worry about it again. Don't understand why people don't do this.

just did that with my tahoe last month, They are cracking down. need proof that you own land WITH BUILDINGS in YOUR NAME.

88Nightmare
10-28-2010, 09:44 AM
So without a tech 2 I can at least check to see if the valve is working and look for broken wires and look to see if the filler neck is rusty? Last time I cleared the code it didn't come back for a few days. I wonder if I can clear it and just head to emissions and take the test. Don't they simply scan your computer for cel's? I figured a cel would be an automatic fail

Dr.Buick
10-28-2010, 09:56 AM
So without a tech 2 I can at least check to see if the valve is working and look for broken wires and look to see if the filler neck is rusty? Last time I cleared the code it didn't come back for a few days. I wonder if I can clear it and just head to emissions and take the test. Don't they simply scan your computer for cel's? I figured a cel would be an automatic fail
You can not just reset and go threw, if you want to bring it out i have a tech 2 and a evo,

brotherbenn83
10-28-2010, 09:57 AM
You can try, but make sure after you clear the codes you take your car for a nice long and thorough test drive. They scan for codes, but also check the I/M readiness status of your vehicles diagnostic systems. If they are not ready, they will just assume you or someone just did a recent code clear for you and fail you anyways.

Slow5oh
10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
my 02 sunfire had the same code.

I cleared it pulled the battery, went to the DMV the next day and passed with flying colors. You shouldn't have a problem.