PDA

View Full Version : Damn wind.

0TransAm0
10-27-2010, 03:50 PM
well i saw a 2 shingle tabs go flying past the back patio door. so i figured id go take a look and what do ya know so far about 20-30 tabs spread out are missing and looks like i will be missing many more by the time this wind storm crap is over..

i knew the house needed a tear off and re shingle when we bought it but thought it would last another 2-3 years.(been in the house for a year now)
the north side looks great south side of the house is bad. curling/falling apart lost the sand texture in spots and what not..

so my question is do i have to do the re shingle this year(i know it will be "recommended") but do you think i could get away just getting a tube of roofing tar and covering up all the exposed nail heads so i don't have a water problem come this winter/spring?
i was planning on doing the roof spring/summer of 2011.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
thanks
Mike

any body else have a problem like this because of the wind?

jbiscuit
10-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I would say plan a re-roof as soon as you can. Otherwise plan to have some water get in and that can get real expensive in a hurry! Most shingles in our area are not rated to handle extended high winds like we have been having so there will be some busy roofers next week!

BoosTT
10-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Homeowners Insurance may give you a bit.

Silver350
10-27-2010, 05:54 PM
You may be able to use the tar to get you thru the winter. If it was me I would do that, get some Homeowners insurance money and then next spring do a tear off. Of course I would just do it my self and would just have to pay for Materials.

0TransAm0
10-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Homeowners Insurance may give you a bit.

House was built in 98 original roof still. I don't think it would be worth making a claim and paying the deductable.

Yooformula
10-27-2010, 06:12 PM
thankfully just some shingles, I heard my neighbors tree split in half then watched it get tossed into the other neighbors house! Luckily nobody was home but 2 hours later the other half of the same tree came down across his yard onto his extra parked truck!

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
That is a shame, a 12 year old roof should be in very nice shape still.
Atleast you did not have a good roof that got ruined by the wind I guess.

My dump is 113 years old and has 2 layers of asphalt and the original cedar shakes under that, curling and some flaking off but been holding on very good. :rolf
Been here 7 years and the roof still looks the same but I really think next summer will be the year to get a new roof, should of been done long ago.

When you re-roof look at dimensional shingles they are much better than the 3 tabs which have become thin over the years ? From what I've noticed and I put a roof on something every couple years.

stenchmiester
10-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Most people replace the few that came off to get them by its pretty simple ull need a good flat bar and a little heat

michelle
10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
We lost 1/2 a tree in the center court. I am sure the neighbors will take care of it right away. Just like they take care of the grass and leaves.. oh wait, they just wait until I do it.

hotshift13
10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Get up there and seal up the damaged spots with some blackjack. Not a permenant fix but it should be good for a little while. If your roof is only 13ish years old it may be a cerenteed(spelling) They just went thru a class action lawsuit because of their roofing materials.

stenchmiester
10-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Have them find out if its a certenteed roof it will be replaced for free

Russ Jerome
10-27-2010, 11:52 PM
My 40' x 20" temporary tent style garage was lifted, set on power lines and toppeled to ground leaving all my tools ect to be left out in back yard. New garage about done and not a moment too soon!

GTSLOW
10-28-2010, 12:08 AM
thankfully just some shingles, I heard my neighbors tree split in half then watched it get tossed into the other neighbors house! Luckily nobody was home but 2 hours later the other half of the same tree came down across his yard onto his extra parked truck!

Salt in the wound :stare

Feature Pony
10-28-2010, 09:16 AM

how do you find out if you have this type of roof? I'm missing about 8 tabs on the south, didn't check the rest of the house yet

0TransAm0
10-28-2010, 09:26 AM

x2 how do we find out? the neighbors house that was built at the same time is in the same shape as ours. as far as the curling and just plain ol falling apart goes.

0TransAm0
10-28-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/index.cfm

looks like i would have to mail in a section of shingle to them to test it. or find a roofer who knows what they are doing. but even then id have to pay them for there time. according to the site if they are certenteed shingles and me being the 3rd owner of the home i would get $34 per square then they would prorate that so it would be probably less than $20 a square.. better than nothing i guess.

TraceDaddy
10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
The metal roof on a birdhouse Trace and I built curled up. Wind got under and just bent everything back.

I don't think it's a Certainteed roof. :(

Feature Pony
10-29-2010, 11:34 AM
http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/index.cfm

looks like i would have to mail in a section of shingle to them to test it. or find a roofer who knows what they are doing. but even then id have to pay them for there time. according to the site if they are certenteed shingles and me being the 3rd owner of the home i would get $34 per square then they would prorate that so it would be probably less than $20 a square.. better than nothing i guess.

Thats what I have, I found the set of shingles in my back shed new in the paper. I have 31 tabs missing. I'm going to see if I can rig my roof to last this winter vs. throwing on a new roof now. A new roof wont seal till spring once the sun bakes it, and now it is getting to cold out to seal the strips on the shingles, and I don't want a winter blow off with a new roof!

Exitspeed
11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
That wind was annoying as hell. But then I looked outside the day it stopped and noticed like 95% of the leaves in my yard were gone. No idea where they went, but I don't care. lol. Ya for wind in fall!