PDA

View Full Version : ~ It's that time again ~ Check/Change your Furnace Filter :p

awsomeears
10-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Past few nights or early AM mornings have been in the 30's

The RUSH will be coming any time :rolf

BR3W CITY
10-21-2010, 01:30 PM
now i just sit back and wait....

PureSound15
10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Any idea why my furnace would run constantly? Changing anything on the thermostat does nothing (Example: if I put it on 75 degrees and AC, the furnace fan still runs constantly where otherwise it should be off).

So, the only way I can turn my heat/fan off right now is by going into the basement and physically flipping the switch off.

Unit is about 5 years old. I'm confused.

/threadjack.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Just changed my last week. Surprisingly it was still clean. Last changed it 6 months ago. They are supposed to be changed every 6 mos., correct?

Korndogg
10-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Just changed my last week. Surprisingly it was still clean. Last changed it 6 months ago. They are supposed to be changed every 6 mos., correct?

I usually tell people at most 3 months but if they have animals and all that its usually monthly

Yooformula
10-21-2010, 03:57 PM

:wow if mine doesnt get changed within a month and a half MAX, everyone in my house starts coming down with allergy like symptoms.

animal
10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I usually go a year on mine lol.

pOrk
10-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Any idea why my furnace would run constantly? Changing anything on the thermostat does nothing (Example: if I put it on 75 degrees and AC, the furnace fan still runs constantly where otherwise it should be off).

So, the only way I can turn my heat/fan off right now is by going into the basement and physically flipping the switch off.

Unit is about 5 years old. I'm confused.

/threadjack.

Mine did the exact same thing, I pulled the thermostat off the wall and found a loose wire. Easy fix :) Hopefully yours is the same, now come get this detail package you wiener.

awsomeears
10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Puresound have you done any remodeling or nail pounding as of late ?

1st shut the switch off on your furnace, then pop off the Thermostat, walk back down and flip the switch to ON. Wait a few seconds and if the blower turns back on you some how have a cross wire.

Green wire is some how getting 24 volts and turning on the fan.....

Any other questions just PM me...

0TransAm0
10-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Changed mine last week. We have a dog and cat. Depending on how much it runs I change every 2-3 months.

Lash
10-21-2010, 08:44 PM
My furnace has a filter?

:confused

awsomeears
10-21-2010, 08:50 PM
My furnace has a filter?

:confused

I hear that all the time :rolf

" Sir when was the last time you clean and or changed your Air Filter "
Ummmmm " My furnace has a Air Filter ?

YES !!! How long have you lived in the home for

Customer " Umm 4 years "

:chair:

modmachz
10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
do you think even the 5 Inch thick merv 13 filters need be changed every 3 months??

Korndogg
10-21-2010, 09:52 PM
You pretty much need to look at your filter and see when it needs to replaced. There really isn't a certain time period. It all depends on the house and what is in it. Once it starts getting blocked, you need to replace it.

awsomeears
10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
do you think even the 5 Inch thick merv 13 filters need be changed every 3 months??

Merv 13 in my opinion is to high, then again it depends on the Duct work and return drop.... When I say to high I'm talking about AIR FLOW past the filter !!!

My rule of thumb is 10 MERV for any home, unless there are allergies and what not. If that is the case there are other products out there to take care of that, and a good ol' duct cleaning should be done.

modmachz if you want take a picture of the furnace from about 6 feet away, I can tell you if that Merv 13 is to restrictive or not....

Lash
10-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Merv 13 is too high IMO also. 99.9% of systems can't handle that kind of restriction.

Lash
10-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I hear that all the time :rolf

" Sir when was the last time you clean and or changed your Air Filter "
Ummmmm " My furnace has a Air Filter ?

YES !!! How long have you lived in the home for

Customer " Umm 4 years "

:chair:

Or how about when the filter has actually been sucked out of the frame because it was so clogged.

awsomeears
10-22-2010, 08:02 PM
^ LOL ^

I see the 1" POS filters sucked in ALL THE TIME !!!

indyzmike
10-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Changed a draft inducer assembly on my brothers Carrier Weathermaker last week and this week the circulation blower is not starting sometimes.

I have been thinking about having a electrostatic filter installed in my house. Don't know what is better, stand alone, or in line with furnace? Anyone have one? Do they work good?

awsomeears
10-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm guessing the Carrier Weather makers model # is a MXA036060 or something along those lines, depending on the year the Circuit Board has these Glass type relays, at times they don't work...

EAC aka Electronic Air Cleaners are JUNK in my opinion, I will admit I'm not up to par with the current EAC models but its just doesn't make sense.

I know there are EAC models out there that include a 4" filter...

Personally I like the Dynamic Air Cleaners, they are powered by 24 volts from the circuit board and they work great...

indyzmike
10-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Yea, it is the one with the clear relays.

I will look into the dynamic filters. Thanks!

awsomeears
10-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Yea, it is the one with the clear relays.

I will look into the dynamic filters. Thanks!

If you need a circuit board ( used of course ) let me know.....

I have a few spares :rolf

michelle
10-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Just changed ours this morning and realized it was our last filter "in stock". It's a Merv 11 rating (16x25x5). Where is a good source? Is Merv 11 too much as well?

The tag on the filter says to reorder from www.aircleaningequipment.com. Previous owner left us a box of three, so now we're out.

awsomeears
10-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Michelle just head to Farm & Fleet and match it up, there are 4" thick ones and 5" thick ones....

Merv 11 is fine but you should change them every 6 months as your home is also a ZOO/Animal day care lol !

michelle
10-24-2010, 03:16 PM
No luck finding a wide enough one at Menards. Thought I was in luck (on sale for $19 too), but they are not as wide as they need to be. No luck at Fleet Farm either, only 4".

Lash
10-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Just stay away from the 3M filters.

badass88gt
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Why is that?

How can I find what size is supposed to be in my furnace? Bought the house this summer, previous owner had a pair of 1" filters in it with plenty of room to spare. I didn't see anything in the manual.

awsomeears
10-25-2010, 07:45 PM
No luck finding a wide enough one at Menards. Thought I was in luck (on sale for $19 too), but they are not as wide as they need to be. No luck at Fleet Farm either, only 4".

You can put a 4" thick one in there :thumbsup

Michelle if the filter you pulled out has foam strips around it just buy one from Farm and Fleet and buy a $2 roll of weather stripping and wa la !

How can I find what size is supposed to be in my furnace? Bought the house this summer, previous owner had a pair of 1" filters in it with plenty of room to spare. I didn't see anything in the manual.

Pair of 1" filter as in II doubled up :rolf

Take a picture of the filter housing from a few feet away I'll tell you what you need :thumbsup

badass88gt
10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Actually I was wrong. He has a pair of 2" filters in there. It also has 2 black plastic pieces, what are those? Here's some pics, that is a pair of 16x25x2 filters side-by-side...(sorry for the big, crappy iPhone pics)

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/badass88gt/v.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/badass88gt/vv.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/badass88gt/vvv.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/badass88gt/vvvv.jpg

awsomeears
10-25-2010, 11:50 PM
What an Idiot !!!

Head to your local Carrier/Bryant dealer and purchase some Bryant/Carrier MERV 8 16x25x4 filters...

Don't put anything else in there because they will get stuck ( trust me I already cut my hand Wide open 3 times pulling incorrect brands )

From a dealer expect to pay anywhere from $32 to $38 each....

badass88gt
10-26-2010, 12:25 AM
What are the black plastic things?

badass88gt
10-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Just a quick peek online, why not a 16x25x5?

Also, doing a little reading on MERV ratings, we have 2 cats and I have allergies that "usually" arent too bad, would you recommend a higher MERV rating, maybe a 10?

awsomeears
10-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Black things I bet were from his old system, throw that and those filters out !!!

Your cabinet will only except 4" thick filter, again you should only be using the Bryant 16x25x4 filters...

You don't want to fry out that $800 motor do you :-0 !!!

Once you get the correct filters change them every 6 month

94greenbandit
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
You can find the larger ones at Home Depot as well sometimes

I need to change mine as well. Need to change my Humidifier filter as well

awsomeears
10-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Home Depot and Menards carry some of the Shittys filters out there, they do carry 3M ones but there restriction levels are to HIGH...

If you must buy a 4" filter get it from Farm and Fleet or ACE, again stay below 12 MERV

badass88gt you need a bryant filter that is it !!! no logical way around it as that filter is designed for your furnace !!!

badass88gt
10-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for your help! We have a couple of dealers in the area.

awsomeears
10-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your help! We have a couple of dealers in the area.

Your Welcome :thumbsup

94greenbandit
10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks, I went to Farm & Fleet and got a filter.

I just need to find a place to get a filter for my Aprilaire Furnace Humidifier

awsomeears
10-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I went to Farm & Fleet and got a filter.

I just need to find a place to get a filter for my Aprilaire Furnace Humidifier

Farm and Fleet have them :thumbsup

Your either have a # 10 or #35

#10 is a perfect square
#35 is a rectangle

:thumbsup

94greenbandit
10-28-2010, 11:03 PM
#35 it would be. Thanks I guess I am headed back to the farm

ecenur
10-31-2010, 02:49 AM
Changed a draft inducer assembly on my brothers Carrier Weathermaker last week and this week the circulation blower is not starting sometimes.

I have been thinking about having a electrostatic filter installed in my house. Don't know what is better, stand alone, or in line with furnace? Anyone have one? Do they work good?

I have a electrostatic filter installed it works well an inline furnace that's what I have. I think its great, it has good air flow, it just has a higher maintenance, you would have to clean it more often or you will start to have dirt coming out of the duct work.

chargedformula
10-31-2010, 08:10 AM
awsomeears, sent you a pm!

awsomeears
10-31-2010, 09:25 AM
I have a electrostatic filter installed it works well an inline furnace that's what I have. I think its great, it has good air flow, it just has a higher maintenance, you would have to clean it more often or you will start to have dirt coming out of the duct work.

I'm always removing blower motors to clean them because the EAC's do nothing but * snap & pop * and in the a/c season clean A-coils :banana

Now I will admit there are a few older style Honeywell ( 89-95 ) EAC's that do work but the customers clean them every 1-2 weeks, little did most home owners know when they purchased these is that the up keep needs to be on time....

The new EAC filters out there I'm seeing have the cells and a Filter... sort of makes me think " Ohh now your adding a filter "

I'm no science bio tech but I think its healthier to have your ducts clean and use a MERV 10 while running the fan all the time.

CATNHAT
10-31-2010, 09:27 AM
I need a humidifier installed? do you do that? any idea on the cost?

PureSound15
10-31-2010, 10:11 AM
FTR - The board in my furnace was bad, causing the fan to run constantly. New board = silent house :)

Still need a filter though. Mine is definitely blackish.

awsomeears
10-31-2010, 10:37 PM
I need a humidifier installed? do you do that? any idea on the cost?

Nope....

Expect to pay anywhere from $450-$800 for a Automatic Aprilaire, most companys hack them in and take power where the should not and insist on telling the customer a Manual is the way to go.... It comes down to a manual one is easy to install.

badass88gt
01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Black things I bet were from his old system, throw that and those filters out !!!

Your cabinet will only except 4" thick filter, again you should only be using the Bryant 16x25x4 filters...

You don't want to fry out that $800 motor do you :-0 !!!

Once you get the correct filters change them every 6 month

Went to the dealer, told me I need those plastic things that you told me to toss, $46 for the filter, another $20 for new plastic end caps, said the filter is an accordion type filter and the caps hold it together.

awsomeears
01-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Went to the dealer, told me I need those plastic things that you told me to toss, $46 for the filter, another $20 for new plastic end caps, said the filter is an accordion type filter and the caps hold it together.

Dealer is a moron..........

You have to convert the whole thing, Ive had a million questions and somewhat remember what it was, take a picture of what you have.

badass88gt
01-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I will snap a couple pics, I deleted them off my photobucket.

Carrier Weathermaker Infinity with Comfortzone, if that helps. 16x25x4.