PDA

View Full Version : What do you think......?

Voodoo Chick
10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I have been hearing lately from a few sources that "they" are going to eventually outlaw the sales/use of performance parts, and remove the street/strip cars from the street entirely. I read an article in a performance magazine about it just yesterday, in fact. More restrictions, emissions, inspections, etc......I keep hearing people saying that eventually we will not be able to drive our performance/classic/muscle cars at all. Do you think this may come to pass? Thoughts, opinions? What can we do to prevent this from happening?

STANMAN
10-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Kill everything that you see, eventually you'll be the only one left and you can do whatever you want:thumbsup I ALMOST have enough ammo to do this, and when I do, watch out world:rolf

For serial though, watch the elections and vote on the issues that are important to you, and then make sure the people you voted for know WHY you voted!

Karps TA
10-19-2010, 03:16 PM
I think it's a bunch of crap designed to sell magazines and get people all in an uproar over nothing. Much like everything else being reported in the news.

Jalopnik has a nice editorial piece on it today.

Voodoo Chick
10-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I think it's a bunch of crap designed to sell magazines and get people all in an uproar over nothing. Much like everything else being reported in the news.

Jalopnik has a nice editorial piece on it today.

You really think so?? I hope you're right. Do you have a link to the jalopnik article?

Karps TA
10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5667018/hot-rod-mags-pump-up-government-fears-to-boost-advertisers

Remember who pays the bills for these magazines.

jbiscuit
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Not sure I buy the conspriacy theory on this one. The Feds want us to drive brand new cars. All of us. There is a topic on the HAMB today about the "man" forcing people to clean up their yards and show proof of registration for any and all classic iron in California. Now granted, California is usually at the forefront for killing classic cars on the road or creating stupid laws against them. There is money to be made here. WI JUST had these Madison idiots trying to ban classic car registration in our lovely state....why would you think this is outside possibility? I think they are trying their hardest to get rid of our classic rides.

HAMB link:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522962

Sprayaway Fox
10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I think its just propaganda to get people to shove money at some cause.

They are doing it one by one anyways...I mean how many really know how to tune a carb anymore, or diagnose by sound, or symptoms....When you really think about it outside of the car realm not many at all.

The govt. doesnt want you to drive the same car for numerous years. They want you to trade it in anyways. If everybody kept there car there wouldnt be the need to make as many and employ soo many. You are not supposed to save money, you are just supposed to be the middle man to send it somewhere else.

Russ Jerome
10-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Comifornia is years ahead of the world, if it happens it will happen 15yrs after it happens in the Comunist State of CA (coincidently the hub of most performance mags right?).

BR3W CITY
10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
if they do, at least my civil disobedience will look cool.

that is....before I lose the civil part

why can't we just outlaw california?

Silver86
10-19-2010, 04:43 PM

i agree

jbiscuit
10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Comifornia is years ahead of the world, if it happens it will happen 15yrs after it happens in the Comunist State of CA (coincidently the hub of most performance mags right?).

Russ you hit the nail on the head here...though I don't think this will take 15 years to hit the rest of us. Since the Feds want to control what we can drive and how we will drive it, why don't they just take all our cars and issue us Government Motors vehicles for all to drive? Wouldn't that get to the point faster?

The problem with California as a whole and its relationship to the hot rodding community is for every one true die hard hot rodder that loves to cruise his 41 Chevy up and down the coast and loves the year round car weather, there are 10 super rich political campaign supporting a-holes that bitch about seeing "junk" across the street from their mega mansions. It used to be that the rich lived in certain areas in CA but thats not the case today. The are expanding to the 'burbs so communities that were once left alone and free for hot rodders has now come under fire.

My uncle used to run a very successful hot rod parts outfit in Rancho Cucamonga for a number of years and he ended up giving it up due to the fees, restrictions, easements, codes, ordinances, etc that were constantly being presented to him to pay up or get out. So this isn't new. His neighborhood too has gone from modest homes to mega pads.

WI has recently tried to pull a fast one with the Trans 123 nonsense just a year ago. The important thing to take away from all this is don't just sit and let it happen. FIGHT it! You have a right to own and drive your classic car. You have a right to own a performance manifold or carb. Even though the majority has thrown in the towel and lets "someone else" deal with their check engine lights or thunks, there are still a lot of us that enjoy old cars!

Karps TA
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I have a hard time believing the govt really gives a shit about what the small minority of automobiles being driven that are over 30 years old at this point. They are fewer and fewer of them on the road every single year. The majority of those, aren't even being used as daily driven vehicles.

There is SO much hot rodding going on today on new cars that can still pass emissions that I just don't see it being an issue.

I'm guessing car people in the late 70's thought the exact same thing, and 30 years later the hobby is still going strong. I'm sure many backyard hot rodders back then though EFI was the death of the hobby, when in fact it actually made it even better. Eventually will something happen that kills the hobby as it is known today? Sure, that's evolution and progress. Bound to happen. And people will then be modding their hoverboards and flying cars.

lordairgtar
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Karps, In California state senator Christine Keogh of the San Diego area pretty much wants to get rid of all rods, customs, classics and such from the highway. She pretty much said that you will not be able to operate them on the roads and if you are travelling through during a tour, you just better well have a flatbead waiting to carry your car through. The revamped trans 123 here in Wisconsin which attacked the military vehicle owners now attacks those who buy a vintage car from out of country (Ferrari?) and they will not be able to register and operate them here. So far we have made them go back to committee but the next time they have it up for a vote, there will be no public hearing required. Many of you do not own older cars or foreign classics or whatever, but it affects us all because government is never satisfied by having a little, they want it all. In Illinois, if you buy an older car and register it and later it is found that you restored, modified, or otherwise improve it, the Dept Of Revenue and Illinois DMV will require a new tax on the new value as THEY perceive it and if you don't pay you get your registration rescinded.

TheRX7Project
10-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I will say with insider information that this month EVERY Primedia performance magazine (Diesel Power, Hot Rod, Street Rodder, Super Street, etc.) had an "article" about performance cars being outlawed, sponsored by SEMA.

JC70SS
10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
never gonna happen. This industry pumps a ton of money into the economy. God I would have $100k extra in my bank account if I didn't have a fast car addiction.

GHOSST
10-19-2010, 08:53 PM
I was just about to say, I just bought "Hod Rod" magazine Saturday with that same issue on the front! lol. And it looks like the same thing was discussed back in 1985. I think its just to peek interest. I was more interested in the Salt Flat race coverage.

Hell, if America's leading automakers as well as Imports keep pushing out affordable vehicles with 300+ hp, how can they outlaw anything.

lordairgtar
10-20-2010, 11:30 PM
never gonna happen. This industry pumps a ton of money into the economy.
That's what they said about cigarette smoking.

lordairgtar
10-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Hell, if America's leading automakers as well as Imports keep pushing out affordable vehicles with 300+ hp, how can they outlaw anything.
It isn't about what automakers are producing now, it's about the car hobby in general and specifically about older vehicles the government perceives as harmful to environment or other reason they can dream up. When I was attending the first Trans 123 meeting, a question was asked why were they targeting at that time military vehicle collectors from driving their vehicles on the road and they had no answer. A vague comment about safety was raised and it was then countered with a question of where are the statistics showing the dangers on the highways and again...no answer. I certainly cannot recall any mass traffic wrecks involving these types of vehicles. The DOT just makes these decisions by fiat and hopefully they get through without notice. I am on, by the way, the Wisconsin Street Rod Association's Board of Directors as secretary and political information.

GHOSST
10-20-2010, 11:50 PM
It isn't about what automakers are producing now, it's about the car hobby in general and specifically about older vehicles the government perceives as harmful to environment or other reason they can dream up. When I was attending the first Trans 123 meeting, a question was asked why were they targeting at that time military vehicle collectors from driving their vehicles on the road and they had no answer. A vague comment about safety was raised and it was then countered with a question of where are the statistics showing the dangers on the highways and again...no answer. I certainly cannot recall any mass traffic wrecks involving these types of vehicles. The DOT just makes these decisions by fiat and hopefully they get through without notice. I am on, by the way, the Wisconsin Street Rod Association's Board of Directors as secretary and political information.

Good point. Hell, I bet there are more classics out there that are safer than my car.

TransAm12sec
10-20-2010, 11:51 PM

It'll break off soon enough.

Except Leno's cars are there too.

Moparjim
10-21-2010, 11:30 AM
I will drive mine anyway, just like Lee Majors in that old movie. I can't remember the name but cars are outlawed and he busts out his old racecar and drives to California or something. The cops have electric cars, and he gets gas by siphoning off the bottom of gas station tanks lol.

Rocket Power
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I will drive mine anyway, just like Lee Majors in that old movie. I can't remember the name but cars are outlawed and he busts out his old racecar and drives to California or something. The cops have electric cars, and he gets gas by siphoning off the bottom of gas station tanks lol.

Holy crap I thought I was the only one who ever saw that back in the early 80s on cable:rolf
Wish I could remember the name of it

lordairgtar
10-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Holy crap I thought I was the only one who ever saw that back in the early 80s on cable:rolf
Wish I could remember the name of it
It was called The Last Chase.

Moparjim
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Only ironic part is I believe in the movie he is trying to get to "free" California unless I remember it wrong. Reality is he should have been fleeing "Commie Hippie" California to get to "free" Montana or something.

Rocket Power
10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
It was called The Last Chase.

I wonder if its on DVD. I'll have to look
eta looks like it is, now I have to get it.

Rocket Power
10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Only ironic part is I believe in the movie he is trying to get to "free" California unless I remember it wrong. Reality is he should have been fleeing "Commie Hippie" California to get to "free" Montana or something.Nope you were right.

kirks5oh
10-22-2010, 12:39 PM
all this depressing talk, and car companies are making faster, more powerful cars every single year--pushing the performance bar higher and higher. obviously, it will plateau off---but think about it---the list of cars that will run low 13's/high 12's right off the dealer lot is growing longer and longer. even the bottom-of-the-barrel mustang has over 300hp. they make caddy's that hit 60mph in less than 4 seconds, and can go 195mph. there's a porsche that will hit 60mph in 2.7 seconds stock. even your routine camry is packing 265hp. i don't see the end of performance vehicles any time soon.

the thing i find ironic, is the movie career of arnold s.---he's portrayed as a badass in virtually every film he's been in (terminator's, predator, conan, running man, commando, true lies, etc etc)----yet he's in charge of the most pussified, flaming state in the country--go figure

GHOSST
10-22-2010, 04:18 PM
all this depressing talk, and car companies are making faster, more powerful cars every single year--pushing the performance bar higher and higher. obviously, it will plateau off---but think about it---the list of cars that will run low 13's/high 12's right off the dealer lot is growing longer and longer. even the bottom-of-the-barrel mustang has over 300hp. they make caddy's that hit 60mph in less than 4 seconds, and can go 195mph. there's a porsche that will hit 60mph in 2.7 seconds stock. even your routine camry is packing 265hp. i don't see the end of performance vehicles any time soon.

the thing i find ironic, is the movie career of arnold s.---he's portrayed as a badass in virtually every film he's been in (terminator's, predator, conan, running man, commando, true lies, etc etc)----yet he's in charge of the most pussified, flaming state in the country--go figure

Thats why they are called actors, there different as hell in real life. I mean, look at Vin Diesel, total movie screen badass. In real life, hes a art lover who feels he doesn't have enough drama roles to prove his acting worth is more than just action films.