PDA

View Full Version : 99 s10 transmisson problems

xFullThrottlex
10-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Hello BCMers,

Today I lost reverse in my 99 s10 with a 4cyl and 4l60E trans. The transmission shifts hard and is barely road worthy (white knuckle driving all the way home from work.) I was told it could be many different things including a broken sunshell, my "lo-reverse" clutch worn out, a worn boost valve, Reaction planetary is worn out, and a torrington bearing may be worn out. The truck has 90,XXX miles on it and I was told these trans are bulletproof until 150k... I just changed the tranny filter and fluid on saturday--- it's not bubbling and i'm on the stick.

any advice will be helpful. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can take it? Should I even bother fixing it or wait for parts to fall of the truck:rolf

THANKS!

Car Guy
10-18-2010, 05:09 PM
You probably killed the transmission if that was the first fluid/filter change. Start looking for a low mileage replacement or rebuilding what you have if keeping the truck for many more miles.....

xFullThrottlex
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
first fluid/filter change in three years but it has been replaced before

hotshift13
10-19-2010, 12:41 AM
The 4l60e stock is not the greatest trans, They have many problems, the clutch disc material is paper.... I have two vehicles with these transmissions, so Im getting pretty good at swaping them out. If GM put a little more money into them i guess, They would be a great trans, but If you read a few reviews about them, lots of unhappy people after only 35k sometimes...

spooln30
10-19-2010, 02:28 AM
I ran into this issue many times at my shop. Not saying this fits your situation. When people put off replacing trans fluid and then at the very last attemp to save it they want to do a full flush. What this does is remove the grit in the fluid that was actually helping the transmission somewhat work. Now you exchange the dirty/gritty fluid with fresh slippery fluid ends up making it worse. If I get a customer that comes in and the trans fluid is just horable I tell them changing it might make it worse. But hell you can always add wood shavings. LOL!!!! Now that my friend is some hack-a-tack repair. Good Luck

Keith

xFullThrottlex
10-19-2010, 05:55 PM
^Haha I hear you. Changing it probably didn't help it but it was slipping so badly before I changed it. Reverse went out 2 days after I changed it. I was just quoted $1750 for my trans and torque converter to be rebuilt w a 12000 mile 1 year warranty.yikes

BAD LS1
10-19-2010, 06:47 PM
^^^ Find a junk yard trans for a fookload less! Let me know if you want any help installing it.

hotshift13
10-19-2010, 08:17 PM
^^^What BAD LS1 said^^^

Found my last trans on CL for $300.00, slaped it in and 3k later it still seems fine...

xFullThrottlex
10-19-2010, 08:33 PM
^^^ Find a junk yard trans for a fookload less! Let me know if you want any help installing it.

I would love help... but the best price on a junkyard trans i've found is $650 with 162,XXXmiles:chair: from B&M. They also have another 4l60e out of an s series with 114,XXX miles but they want $850. Roz can order one with 84,000 miles for $750. Ace has one for $650 with no idea on the mileage. Als has nothing and neither does AA. AHHH i'm so frustrated!

BAD LS1
10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
I would love help... but the best price on a junkyard trans i've found is $650 with 162,XXXmiles:chair: from BM. They also have another 4l60e out of an s body with 114,XXX miles but they want $850. Roz can order one with 84,000 miles for $750. Ace has one for $650 with no idea on the mileage. Als has nothing and neither does AA. AHHH i'm so frustrated!

Is it because its a 4cyl S10 60E that they are so pricey? Wow. I mean the cool part is that the bell housings are interchangeable so a trans meant from another engine family will work like a 4.3 S10 2wd... The converter though is probably needed too, those are what i've heard actually shit out the most with 4cyl auto S trucks and send garbage through them. Im pretty sure the converter might be entirely diff from any other V6/8 combos though namely in its physical size.

Whatever is chosen as a supplement 60E it needs to be 2wd for sure and from around the same vintage. Its been forever since ive looked at an auto s10 to know whether the tail housing is much diff than that of a 2wd Fullsize C1500 truck.

xFullThrottlex
10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Is it because its a 4cyl S10 60E that they are so pricey? Wow. I mean the cool part is that the bell housings are interchangeable so a trans meant from another engine family will work like a 4.3 S10 2wd... The converter though is probably needed too, those are what i've heard actually shit out the most with 4cyl auto S trucks and send garbage through them. Im pretty sure the converter might be entirely diff from any other V6/8 combos though namely in its physical size.

Whatever is chosen as a supplement 60E it needs to be 2wd for sure and from around the same vintage. Its been forever since ive looked at an auto s10 to know whether the tail housing is much diff than that of a 2wd Fullsize C1500 truck.

I couldnt tell you about the tail housing. I found 31 "Common Problems" these trucks face with this transmission. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/4l60e-problems-and-solutions-297698/

I'm fairly certain I have these

1st and 3rd only, no 2,4 or R; sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

Slow, slipping or no reverse: “lo-reverse” clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the checkball from its cage in the case in the rear of the trans may help (must remove valvebody), or adding a high-viscosity additive such as Lucas Transmission additive or other seal restorer product. May also have worn boost valve (can replace in the pan).

BAD LS1
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
I guess it pays to teach my self how to fix these pickles, looks like some money to be made on them!

xFullThrottlex
10-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I guess it pays to teach my self how to fix these pickles, looks like some money to be made on them!

very true

Here are the quotes I gathered from many other transmission shops...

Accurate $800-1200 w/ 18,000 mile 18 month warranty
Badger $1400-$1500
All World $1600-$2000
Kilpatrick $1600 installed $1200 if I Install
TNS $1475 if I install, $1700 if they do
Dunhams $1600 w/ 1 year warranty

and A&A Transmission $650+TAX AND FLUID with a 90 day warranty and an A- rating from BBB (there rebuild all soft parts which includes bands and clutches, gaskets and filter.)

Has anyone here done business with these guys... they are considerably lower then there competition and i think i found the winner... warranty is the shortest of all though!!!

indyzmike
10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Try Bud's Transmissions just south of Greenfield ave on 81st street. Just a little hole in the wall but always done good work.