PDA

View Full Version : Laptop charging problem.

0TransAm0
10-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Well its a HP (G60) laptop approx. 2 years old. problem is that the socket in the side of the computer is fucked and the plug for the charger does not get a good connection anymore. hp wants $400 plus what ever it cost to ship it to them and they say that the motherboard needs to be replaced in order to fix this issue.

has anybody had one of these apart before? can i get a new "socket" and just take this one out and solder in a new one? is it that easy?

my dad worked at delco/Delphi for 30+ years working on circuit boards if the parts are available I'm sure he could handle it.. just wondering if anybody else has had this issue. and what you did to fix it.
thanks
Mike

Gregor
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I fixed mine on my field laptop that I used at my old job. And since my battery was just as phucked i had to live off my ac cord.

Its a simple fix if you can solder worth a squat. and since you are out of warranty voiding it wont be a problem. ebay the part and have fun taking apart you laptop. While your in there clean out the fan and heatsink. Mine had so much hair that it blocked all fins and the cpu fan would run 100% of the time. I used Nair and hot water on the heatsink.

xxsn0blindxx
10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Replacement Socket
http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-AC-Power-Jack-Plug-Socket-HP-Compaq-G50-G60-G70-/290424195236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439ea188a4

You will have to take the laptop completely apart. Start by removing the battery, CD-Rom, keyboard, hard drive and screen. The motherboard is sandwiched between the bottom and top covers, once you take out of the screws to separate the top and bottom covers there will be a few more holding the motherboard to the top or bottom cover. There will usually be a screw or two that you didn't see at first so be careful and never force it apart. If you feel something hanging up figure out where it is stuck and try to locate a screw or see if something else has to be removed in order to access a screw.

Cryptic
10-18-2010, 08:39 PM
I fixed my neighbors laptop that had a similar issue. Just a dab of solder to fix a loose joint. Kinda need to know what your doing getting a laptop apart or you could end up with alot of broken plastic tabs. Depends on the model how much of a pain it could be. It varies.

xxsn0blindxx
10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
HPs are usually the easiest to take apart, they even have markings by most of the screw holes so you know what size screw goes where. I just had my wife's DV8000 apart this evening only to find out the ebay seller sent me the wrong fan :punch: It took about an hour from shutting it down to powering it back up including time for cleanup and no extra screws!

0TransAm0
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM
thanks for the info guys. got the part ordered. and will update how it goe's when the time comes.

xxsn0blindxx
10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
If you do some google searching you can probably find somebody who has taken step by step pictures of how to tear it down.