PDA

View Full Version : 95 LT1 - Looking to add more power in spring

95-1LE-Z28
10-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I have a 6 Speed 95 LT1 with the 1LE package and I just hit 46,500 miles. The car has cold air intake, long tube headers, 3 inch exhaust and a catback. I'm hoping to add between 150 and 200 horsepower but I don't want to break the bank doing so. I'm thinking maybe some head work, boring the engine and maybe a cam upgrade. Any suggestions on head and cam combinations that can give me that much power or any other options that might help achieve the additional power that I’m looking for? I'll appreciate any suggestions fellow BCM members can offer.

twicks69
10-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Contact 95TA-The Beast -- http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/member.php?u=82

He can talk your ear off about heavily modifying the LT1 and can help you out with the buildup or parts selection.

If you need his number, I can see about that. For now, contact him via PM.

scaleracer
10-17-2010, 11:28 AM
It's not cheap to build but depends on how far you go with it. I have a spare lt1 motor out of a 95 Z already taken apart if your interested and don't want to mess with the one in your car.

GTSLOW
10-17-2010, 11:50 AM
The first thing you need to decide is how much you're willing to spend. Going bigger cubes with the mentioned mods would imo definately break the bank. Dependin g on what your bidget is would help decide what you can really do.

outlawgibbs
10-17-2010, 11:56 AM
150hp of a budget????

Nitrous Oxide

GHOSST
10-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Eh, diving in with a LT1. Do some research and you will find that LT1s produce massive power but its never cheap. You should have went LS1 if you want to pinch pennies.

95-1LE-Z28
10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Contact 95TA-The Beast -- http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/member.php?u=82

He can talk your ear off about heavily modifying the LT1 and can help you out with the buildup or parts selection.

If you need his number, I can see about that. For now, contact him via PM.

Thanks very much. I'll send him a PM.

95-1LE-Z28
10-18-2010, 06:00 PM
The first thing you need to decide is how much you're willing to spend. Going bigger cubes with the mentioned mods would imo definately break the bank. Dependin g on what your bidget is would help decide what you can really do.

I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts.

150hp of a budget????

Nitrous Oxide
I've been told by a couple of people to stay away from NOS. Apparently it will drastically reduce the life of the engine.

Eh, diving in with a LT1. Do some research and you will find that LT1s produce massive power but its never cheap. You should have went LS1 if you want to pinch pennies.

I've been doing some research online and it looks like people generally start with head and cam swaps and then progress to turbo or superchargers. I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts for now. Later on i might dump a bit more money in the car.

Waver
10-18-2010, 08:05 PM
150hp of a budget????

Nitrous Oxide

This will more than likely be the best for the budget.....or you can try a blower

I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts.
I've been doing some research online and it looks like people generally start with head and cam swaps and then progress to turbo or superchargers. I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts for now. Later on i might dump a bit more money in the car.
See above

95-1LE-Z28
10-18-2010, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Nutwaver;673225]This will more than likely be the best for the budget.....or you can try a blower

I wouldn't mind a used blower. Hopefully i can find someone with a used one.

juicedimpss
10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
if i were in your shoes,i would be looking at the AI heads/cam package. you will also need bigger injectors and decent exhaust etc.
http://advancedinduction.com/
They seem to have a handle on a kickass cnc program for lt1,ive seen great results from their combos.

GHOSST
10-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm telling you man, only the experienced mechanic or money man can deal with the LT1 like your trying too. There's is no coincidence that GM stop putting that motor in their performance cars and trucks. Like I said, massive power but its not easy. Keyword for you, optispark, worse thing ever. When I had my 97 Z28 with 47K on the dash, I kept hearing I should have went LS1, glad I eventually did. The LT1 is a great motor if you plan to leave it as is. Plus if your budget is 3k, you can start a build but nothing will survive if you dont purchase parts to match the power. Then you'll be sitting with a broke vehicle and empty pockets.

Want_Notch
10-20-2010, 11:30 AM
eh. spray it until the rods come out

Myles
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm telling you man, only the experienced mechanic or money man can deal with the LT1 like your trying too. There's is no coincidence that GM stop putting that motor in their performance cars and trucks. Like I said, massive power but its not easy. Keyword for you, optispark, worse thing ever. When I had my 97 Z28 with 47K on the dash, I kept hearing I should have went LS1, glad I eventually did. The LT1 is a great motor if you plan to leave it as is. Plus if your budget is 3k, you can start a build but nothing will survive if you dont purchase parts to match the power. Then you'll be sitting with a broke vehicle and empty pockets.

I seem to recall a guy who built a junkyard LT1 that went 11s. It was in a Imp though, so I guess that doesnt count.

BAD LS1
10-20-2010, 11:55 AM
^^^ He had no fear of the spray though and knew what he was doing with it! Not so sure this guy is gonna be so ready to wack this car with a 250+ hit lol!! LT1's can be made to go fast on a reasonable budget IF you know what your doing on the part selection and tuning end of it.

Myles
10-20-2010, 11:57 AM
^^^ He had no fear of the spray though and knew what he was doing with it! Not so sure this guy is gonna be so ready to wack this car with a 250+ hit lol!!

Fine, then he is stuck going 12s with 1000 bucks into the motor. Or for cheaper than going the LS1 route, convert it to the LS1 computer and do whatever the fuck you want to it since you eliminated the weak part.

GHOSST
10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
I seem to recall a guy who built a junkyard LT1 that went 11s. It was in a Imp though, so I guess that doesnt count.

I know its not impossible, but like Tom said the guy knew what he was doing.

Like I was when I first dived into muscle with my 97 LT1 Camaro in 2003, I was trying to be budget minded with mediocre mechanical experience and little to no tools at the time. Its just supremely hard to get by with little to no money or experience with LT1, trust me. And if he doesn't want to destroy the motor for a little bit a pleasure and surely 12's, which its sounds like he can't and wont, that's why I say LS1, and the only reason.

Myles
10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
lol, jesus christ. It's not that hard. Just slap a cam in, play with a grinder on the heads and find someone to do a tune. Bam, 12s.

Crawlin
10-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Alright really?

I had a 110k mile '93 Z28 6speed that had
K&N Kit
Hurst Shifter
Centerforce DF Clutch(piece of shit)
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator(only really works on the '93s I guess)
MSD Blaster Ignition Coil
Had some garbage catalytic converter from an online place
STOCK headers
STOCK exhaust w/ an SLP two out the left muffler from a 3rd gen

That thing went 13.3 on regular old street tires at stock weight except for the spare tire/jack removed.

If you can't get 12's from headers/full exhaust/cam in that thing, burn it.

Otherwise like Ron said, those AI head/cam packages seem to be a pretty hot topic as of late. I seem to recall a guy going 11's in a b-body N/A with those head/cam package from a little northern WI

And let's say he didn't use the 250 shot, let's say he used a 150 shot, would that make up the 1000lb difference between the two cars? Then again maybe he doesnt even need it.

I personally think if he's gonna try and race it, and he's got $3000, well $2000 for the rear end and then $1000 for the cam and related hardware/tune.

GHOSST
10-21-2010, 07:30 AM
lol, jesus christ. It's not that hard. Just slap a cam in, play with a grinder on the heads and find someone to do a tune. Bam, 12s.

high 12's maybe. He's gonna need some D/Rs or at least a decent rear end gear swap, none of which are cheap.

Before I crashed my 97, I had a mild Comp cam installed with port and polished heads, Hooker 1 7/8 inch comp headers (barely fit), ORY, Flowmaster cat-back, Moroso intake, Spec Stage 3 clutch/ resurfaced flywheel, and a crap Hypertech tune, and even with 2 brand new Nitto 555R D/Rs, and 555's up front I couldn't even keep it in a straight line with the stock rear end. Rear end was my next mod, but I wrecked it. But honestly with parts alone I was well into the $6000 range.

With my 2001 LS1 which are a dime a dozen now for price, nothing separates my SS from a Z28 drastically but a few HP's, and even with the few mods that came with mine from SLP like headers, intake and such, the extra weight of a vert sub body crap still pulled low 13's on stocky crap nexens. I'm sure I could reach high 12's if I cared too, with little cash.

:thumbsup just saying if I had $6000 right now to do mods on my LS1, I'd be roaring into the high 11's. Jesus!

fixed, I can see how it looked now, :drool: it was early.

Myles
10-21-2010, 07:54 AM
You are new to this whole car thing and making it go fast arent you?

GHOSST
10-21-2010, 01:02 PM
You are new to this whole car thing and making it go fast arent you?

No, I was back in 2003, I was green as grass. I see alot of my mistakes in this guy, almost identical setup. I also remember posting a thread about cheap LT1 power, its kinda funny. At that time I had no experience, but money to blow, hence all that crap I didn't need to get some good power. Come on now I bought a damn hypertech programmer, if I could go back and smack myself for that one I would. Don't let what I did to my 97 Camaro sum up my experience, I was just simply referencing money not well spent, alot of money not well spent. Terrible.

Like I said, if I cared to go fast now, and had $6000 to blow, I could make a decent setup out of my LS1 better than I could a LT1.

I guess my main argument is LS1 is cheaper power.

Myles
10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Problem is that for him, it's not. He has a LT1 car, not a LS1 car.

Waver
10-21-2010, 03:40 PM

^^^ He had no fear of the spray though and knew what he was doing with it! Not so sure this guy is gonna be so ready to wack this car with a 250+ hit lol!! LT1's can be made to go fast on a reasonable budget IF you know what your doing on the part selection and tuning end of it.

Fine, then he is stuck going 12s with 1000 bucks into the motor. Or for cheaper than going the LS1 route, convert it to the LS1 computer and do whatever the fuck you want to it since you eliminated the weak part.

I seem to remember that same car ran low 13's against a mustang na.....I still have the video.

95-1LE-Z28
10-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I appreciate all the suggestions you guys have provided in the past few days. To answer a couple of questions, I'm not looking to build a track car. I don't know much about performance upgrades and I'll probably never make it to GLD. I just want to make my car a bit more fun to drive on the street and make it sound meaner than it currently is. In it's current state, I've been able to beat a couple of stock Mustang GTs so its not a slow car by any means. Although, a 98 Cobra with a Turbo setup beat me on 145 a couple weeks ago and that's one of the reasons why I'm thinking about actually adding some power. However, from what I've deduced so far, LS1 engines are easier to modify and as much as I wish mine were an LS1, its not. I loved the look, condition, mileage and sound of my car when I saw it and that's why I bought it. Maybe my next car will be an LS1 but for now I'm content with the LT1. Mechanically I've only had to replace the Opti Spark, ICU and water pump so I have nothing really to complain about the LT1. I just want it to be a bit faster during initial take off and when I downshift to pass on the highway. It looks like the heads/cam package and maybe a rear end upgrade suggested by a couple of people on here might do the trick. Sometime down the line I'll think about a turbo.

GTSLOW
10-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Fuck the ls1 swap go for pure power!!! Ford 4.6 swap!!! :durr

SSLEVO
10-21-2010, 06:56 PM
the LT1 is a great motor if you know what you are doing. Don't listen to all of this ls1 bullshit, sure it will make a bit more power for the mods but who cares, you have an lt1 so lets work with it. I had a 95' 6 speed Z a few years back and had it running pretty good.

I had all of the bolt on parts and a comp cams CC306 cam with the supporting valve train. Stock heads and stock motor, had 190k miles on it actually. The cam swap cost me about $1200 and it netted 368 rwhp. In a full weight car with the stock gears and a spec 4 clutch on drag radials it ran 12.3's @114 all day on a piss poor 1.95 60.' Throw in some gears and it was an 11 sec car easily.

Dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7oldCq96Os

12.4 pass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_lXvESyDY8

If you are good with a mid 12 second car go cam only, if you want to go easy 11's a heads cam combo from Advanced induction would be your best bet. At that point the rear may go out with a lot of abuse but i had over 100 passes on my stock 200k mile 10 bolt with no problems.

GHOSST
10-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I appreciate all the suggestions you guys have provided in the past few days. To answer a couple of questions, I'm not looking to build a track car. I don't know much about performance upgrades and I'll probably never make it to GLD. I just want to make my car a bit more fun to drive on the street and make it sound meaner than it currently is. In it's current state, I've been able to beat a couple of stock Mustang GTs so its not a slow car by any means. Although, a 98 Cobra with a Turbo setup beat me on 145 a couple weeks ago and that's one of the reasons why I'm thinking about actually adding some power. However, from what I've deduced so far, LS1 engines are easier to modify and as much as I wish mine were an LS1, its not. I loved the look, condition, mileage and sound of my car when I saw it and that's why I bought it. Maybe my next car will be an LS1 but for now I'm content with the LT1. Mechanically I've only had to replace the Opti Spark, ICU and water pump so I have nothing really to complain about the LT1. I just want it to be a bit faster during initial take off and when I downshift to pass on the highway. It looks like the heads/cam package and maybe a rear end upgrade suggested by a couple of people on here might do the trick. Sometime down the line I'll think about a turbo.

Man its like dejavu! I went through the same thing! Kudos man! I remember those mustang days. Just watch out for the many 8-11 second beasts out there. But honestly there is more than your fare share of 4.6 slouches and import wannabes out there, as well as green LT1/LS1 owners. You'll have fun if you make it a little more fun. If thats all you want, definitely heads and cam swap, and get a decent rear end, but do it all right!

eh, that damn opti spark! I had to replace my water pump too! Power steering pump as well. And all this around 50k. Enjoy yourself man. If your looking to spruce up the looks I have a few old 93-97 parts laying around back home in Milwaukee.

GHOSST
10-21-2010, 07:29 PM
the LT1 is a great motor if you know what you are doing. Don't listen to all of this ls1 bullshit, sure it will make a bit more power for the mods but who cares, you have an lt1 so lets work with it.

Well I imagine thats geared towards me, and you need to relax. Its my opinion, and he's gonna do what he pleases. I'm just stating my view being a former LT1 owner who is pleased to have moved on to LS1. And like I have stated, the LT1 motor is a awesome motor, just not that popular compared to the LS1.

DiscountRamps.com
10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree the LT1 is a great motor! Like everyone said if you knew what you were doing youd be set. 3000 is a great sum of money and prob what I will have for my 97Z in spring to go fast, Decent cam and a set of heads and you will be close to 2K then the supporting mods and Im sure youll have a decently fast car.

Ls1 are easier yes and more people here prefer them, but to each their own. Hook up with someone like Dennis or Ron and you have the all these Fbody sites to help you decide what is best for you. Check out LtxTech and such, look at peoples set ups and ask them about them and what they would do diffrent.

Im am kind of in your situation or will be here. I am thinking LE2 or Ai Heads and cam with a small shot of juice for the track.

Good luck man!

SSLEVO
10-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Well I imagine thats geared towards me, and you need to relax. Its my opinion, and he's gonna do what he pleases. I'm just stating my view being a former LT1 owner who is pleased to have moved on to LS1. And like I have stated, the LT1 motor is a awesome motor, just not that popular compared to the LS1.

It wasn't really personal, that's a common attitude in the online community. On the other hand, he didn't ask for the "is the lt1 or ls1 better" debate that's happened millions of times since 1997. For the money an lt1 car is about the best value out there in terms of performance IMO. I had maybe $2500 into mods including the clutch and was running with pullied cobras.

All too common the LT gets a bad rap because some guy sinks all of this money into heads, cam, strokers... and still runs 12's. These things can break into the 11's cam only no sweat! I loved my LT1, the next small block to enter my garage will be an LS7 though:headbang

GHOSST
10-22-2010, 12:59 AM
It wasn't really personal, that's a common attitude in the online community. On the other hand, he didn't ask for the "is the lt1 or ls1 better" debate that's happened millions of times since 1997. For the money an lt1 car is about the best value out there in terms of performance IMO. I had maybe $2500 into mods including the clutch and was running with pullied cobras.

All too common the LT gets a bad rap because some guy sinks all of this money into heads, cam, strokers... and still runs 12's. These things can break into the 11's cam only no sweat! I loved my LT1, the next small block to enter my garage will be an LS7 though:headbang

Dont get me wrong, I loved my LT1 too. If I hadn't wrecked it, I'd still have it along side my newer less mileage LS1.

Waver
10-22-2010, 09:24 AM

You were running with pullied termy's? Really?

BAD LS1
10-22-2010, 10:04 AM
You were running with pullied termy's? Really?

If you can trap 110-115 you can hang with a mildly pullied cobra from a roll.

Waver
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I just dont see a basic bolt on lt1 running with a termy......just baised on the lt1's that I have ran with the 04.

A LSX sure, hell even a mild bolt on lsx, but not a lt1......but hell what do I know....I got my ass handed to me by a low 13 sec imp when I had my 88

BAD LS1
10-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I just dont see a basic bolt on lt1 running with a termy......just baised on the lt1's that I have ran with the 04.

A LSX sure, hell even a mild bolt on lsx, but not a lt1......but hell what do I know....I got my ass handed to me by a low 13 sec imp when I had my 88

Well just mildly modded termi's may make decent #'s, they are not that fast however given the hp/tq figures. I could totally see a bolt on LT1 thats properly dialed in plus maybe a hot cam kit running with a 450-480 whp termi

Nix
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I had a 94 z28 back in the day and I think it was the best car I've ever owned. That thing was beat like a red headed stepchild day in and day out. The opti went one it like the rest of em' and my tranny needed a rebuild around 80k or so. Other than that it was one hell of a car. Best time at Union Grove was 13.7 @ 101 I believe.

I'd almost be tempted to sell or trade my Mustang so I could pick another LT1.

GHOSST
10-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I had a 94 z28 back in the day and I think it was the best car I've ever owned. That thing was beat like a red headed stepchild day in and day out. The opti went one it like the rest of em' and my tranny needed a rebuild around 80k or so. Other than that it was one hell of a car. Best time at Union Grove was 13.7 @ 101 I believe.

I'd almost be tempted to sell or trade my Mustang so I could pick another LT1.

Wow, a T56 or a 4l60? I always hear the first couple years of the bird/maro 93-95 were the worst, real pita's.

Beagle
10-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Simple. Spray it...

Nix
10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow, a T56 or a 4l60? I always hear the first couple years of the bird/maro 93-95 were the worst, real pita's.

4L60E, that was on street tires too. Goodyear Eagles If memory serves me right. When you would launch it, it would hook instantly.

I always thought it was a factory freak and built on a good day. I did see it some years after I lost the car and some teenager from IL had it. I knew it was mine cause of the cracked front end and the Chevy Bowties on the doors.

I did write the time it ran and the date behind the speaker panel on the driver side. It also had the black and red interior and black and red exterior with t tops.

Waver
10-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Well just mildly modded termi's may make decent #'s, they are not that fast however given the hp/tq figures. I could totally see a bolt on LT1 thats properly dialed in plus maybe a hot cam kit running with a 450-480 whp termi

Yeah, basic bolt ons plus a cam and a good tune that sounds more like it

GHOSST
10-23-2010, 01:41 AM
4L60E, that was on street tires too. Goodyear Eagles If memory serves me right. When you would launch it, it would hook instantly.

I always thought it was a factory freak and built on a good day. I did see it some years after I lost the car and some teenager from IL had it. I knew it was mine cause of the cracked front end and the Chevy Bowties on the doors.

I did write the time it ran and the date behind the speaker panel on the driver side. It also had the black and red interior and black and red exterior with t tops.

I used to think the same thing about mine. It always seemed a little more beasty compared to other LTs. I mean seriously man I know of some major slouch LT1s. Last time I seen mine it was on a trailer, being sold wrecked for about $2500. The guy told me he was going to rebuild it, because honestly it was mostly cosmetic damage, but maybe some frame damage who knows. Wonder if he ever did rebuild it.

Had potential!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Midknyte_Z28/Front.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Midknyte_Z28/Rear.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Midknyte_Z28/Damage1.jpg

GTSLOW
10-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Ricer altezas!!!

DiscountRamps.com
10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I used to think the same thing about mine. It always seemed a little more beasty compared to other LTs. I mean seriously man I know of some major slouch LT1s. Last time I seen mine it was on a trailer, being sold wrecked for about $2500. The guy told me he was going to rebuild it, because honestly it was mostly cosmetic damage, but maybe some frame damage who knows. Wonder if he ever did rebuild it.

Had potential!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Midknyte_Z28/Front.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Midknyte_Z28/Rear.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Midknyte_Z28/Damage1.jpg

Jimmy your LT1 was beastly after the motor build, it pulled hard, but didnt sound like it had a cam. Who ever you had build the motor it in did a great job. I miss that car, can't wait till you and the SS come home for some top down cruizin next year!

GHOSST
10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Ricer altezas!!!

Close but no cigar. They are solid black/red/white to match the car. They dont even make those anymore, very rare. They looks like the altezza but there was no way I was putting those gay looking things on my car.

GTSLOW
10-23-2010, 10:09 PM
http://shophyperformance.com/cart/images/thumb/camaro-09371s.jpg
=
:rice

GHOSST
10-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Yup, definitely not those, close, but totally different design. I forgot what they were called, but the company doesn't make them anymore..

HP ADDICT
10-25-2010, 01:52 AM
Jesus enough of the LT1 is crap stuff. If the shortblock is stout..have the heads ported and throw in a cam. I made 390ish rwhp on home ported heads and a cc306 cam. My stock rear lasted with my M6 until I put in a dana s60 and I ran DRs for about 30k miles. I think I had about 3k into my heads/cam/headers etc oh and I never had a opti fail but I did replace it when I did the cam swap.
If you can do the work yourself it will be much cheaper!

juicedimpss
10-25-2010, 10:06 AM
eh. spray it until the rods come out

it takes alot more than most would try..................:rolf

my first lt1 was fine with 150-175 shot for more than 100 passes on it(and 120,000 miles) with completely stock motor it would run mid 13s natural,and 12.0s on the kit.
I ported some heads myself(the famous 30 minute port job)and put a baby cam(211/219@050) and the car ran mid 12s natural and went 11.1-11.2 on the "small" shot.

FINALLY kicked a rod out when i started trying to hit it with 300ish on the heads/cam setup. car was over 4000lbs raceweight

RPM is the real killer of these motors. spray CAN be safe.

juicedimpss
10-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Otherwise like Ron said, those AI head/cam packages seem to be a pretty hot topic as of late. I seem to recall a guy going 11's in a b-body N/A with those head/cam package from a little northern WI

And let's say he didn't use the 250 shot, let's say he used a 150 shot, would that make up the 1000lb difference between the two cars? Then again maybe he doesnt even need it.

I personally think if he's gonna try and race it, and he's got $3000, well $2000 for the rear end and then $1000 for the cam and related hardware/tune.

he ran 11.9s on motor with the caprice,raceweight was over 4000lbs,drove it to GLD from new london Wi. i believe he managed to averege nearly 20mpg on the trip.
someday i will talk him into a little bit of nitrous....

SSLEVO
10-25-2010, 10:43 PM
I turned my 200k motor to 6900 and it loved every minute :-D It was on the original opti at the time of the cam swap at 180k. I dropped the fucker and broke it when going to put it back on so it got a fresh one, LOL

Quick96ss
10-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Lt1 motors have potential just do your research! I have AI heads and Cam and my car made some pretty good numbers, it was on a built short block. On a pretty mild street set up with a small shot nitrous my car made just south of 600 rwhp and a little north of 700 rwtq.

GHOSST
10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Jesus enough of the LT1 is crap stuff. If the shortblock is stout..have the heads ported and throw in a cam. I made 390ish rwhp on home ported heads and a cc306 cam. My stock rear lasted with my M6 until I put in a dana s60 and I ran DRs for about 30k miles. I think I had about 3k into my heads/cam/headers etc oh and I never had a opti fail but I did replace it when I did the cam swap.
If you can do the work yourself it will be much cheaper!

Who ever said it was "crap" ?? :confused

He said he doesn't know much, some of the LT1 guys should give him a hand, if he's willing to learn, and you guys are willing to show him. Thats how I learned about my LT1, getting dirty and frustrated learning.

GTSLOW
10-26-2010, 11:27 PM
LT1's aren't crap their just slow no matter how much $$ you put into them.

gojrracing
10-27-2010, 04:30 AM
If you want to modify it without breaking your bank, you should do it on your own so that you can save more. But the disadvantage is you should have time and effort to make updates in your exhaust.

HP ADDICT
10-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Funny.. I had a LT1 car I would have felt comfortable giving you bus lengths with.:thumbsup

GTSLOW
10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Funny.. I had a LT1 car I would have felt comfortable giving you bus lengths with.:thumbsup

Probably the same amount id have to give that vette of yours. :goof

HP ADDICT
10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Probably the same amount id have to give that vette of yours. :goof

Anytime you wanna test that theory I'm down. Probably easier for you to talk the talk though huh?

Quick96ss
10-27-2010, 08:04 PM

Hahahaha this has got to be one of the dumbest things i have ever heard! If you ever want to put your car against a SLOW LT1 give me a shout I am ready when u are! To the person who created this thread don't listen to this guy he's all shown us he knows absolutely nothing!

Nix
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM

You're not serious, are you?

GHOSST
10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
If you want to modify it without breaking your bank, you should do it on your own so that you can save more. But the disadvantage is you should have time and effort to make updates in your exhaust.

Who the hell are you? I dont know much but you dont sound like you know anything.

Waver
10-28-2010, 08:17 AM
If you want to modify it without breaking your bank, you should do it on your own so that you can save more. But the disadvantage is you should have time and effort to make updates in your exhaust. What the fuck are you trying to say? ENGLISH!

Hahahaha this has got to be one of the dumbest things i have ever heard! If you ever want to put your car against a SLOW LT1 give me a shout I am ready when u are! To the person who created this thread don't listen to this guy he's all shown us he knows absolutely nothing!

No one ever listens to nan...ever

HP ADDICT
10-28-2010, 03:20 PM
No one ever listens to nan...ever

I'm still waiting on his excuse to not put bus lengths on my slow bolt on vette!
Maybe if he doesn't dodge me like he did dave he can also run Matt's slow LT1 car right after. To be fair I think Matt should leave the bottle unhooked though. The weather Sat looks pretty good!:thumbsup

juicedimpss
10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
:wooo

Korndogg
10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
People here get trolled by nan on a daily basis.

Its hilarious.

GTSLOW
10-28-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm still waiting on his excuse to not put bus lengths on my slow bolt on vette!
Maybe if he doesn't dodge me like he did dave he can also run Matt's slow LT1 car right after. To be fair I think Matt should leave the bottle unhooked though. The weather Sat looks pretty good!:thumbsup

:rolf I couldn't break your heart right before winter. God knows you guys would go on a go-fast parts binge over the winter after getting spanked.

GTSLOW
10-28-2010, 06:34 PM
You're not serious, are you?

It was a joke. :)

HP ADDICT
10-28-2010, 06:39 PM
:rolf I couldn't break your heart right before winter. God knows you guys would go on a go-fast parts binge over the winter after getting spanked.

All I got from this was blah blah blah I'm full of shit blah blah blah excuse blah blah blah. Sac up or shut up.

Quick96ss
10-28-2010, 06:54 PM

:rolf The perfect reply from a guy who will continue to talk shit and never back it up!

GTSLOW
10-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I drive a stock GTO what the hell can I back up with that a huffy? BCM's about a little shit talking once in a while (ok all the time).

I'll line up againsts the roller t/a being parted out!! :goof

:rolf The perfect reply from a guy who will continue to talk shit and never back it up!

Who are you again?

HP ADDICT
10-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Not personal and on BCM stock doesn't mean shit! My "stock" ls7 is stock in the fact that it came from the factory with a cam, headers, and intake. Mine still has those parts but maybe just a little different specs! If I lose a race I could care less but I usually don't say things I can't at least try to back up! Whenever I see stock in quotation I figure it might be a 800hp car! Hell I'm below 600rwhp so a ton of cars on here would own me!

HP ADDICT
10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Quick 96ss is Matt he owns a slow 10 sec lt1 car.

GHOSST
10-28-2010, 10:33 PM
What the fuck are you trying to say? ENGLISH!

Spam at its best... how the fuck do they keep getting in? And why do they even try to post like no one would notice... irritating.

95-1LE-Z28
02-11-2011, 05:26 AM
So I’ve decide to go with a turbo setup. However, I don't want to buy a full kit out of the box because most are insanely expensive. That's why I’m looking for someone who can get the components together and build me a kit. Are there any members on this forum who build affordable turbo kits? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SSLEVO
02-11-2011, 08:13 AM
So I’ve decide to go with a turbo setup. However, I don't want to buy a full kit out of the box because most are insanely expensive. That's why I’m looking for someone who can get the components together and build me a kit. Are there any members on this forum who build affordable turbo kits? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Affordable and turbo are never two words you put next to each other. I'm sure some of the boosted guys will chime in.

If you are going to pay someone for quality fab work it's going to cost just as much as a kit probably. There is 4k easily. What about all of the supporting mods? Fuel system, built lower end, new rear.... Another 5-10k there.

IMO spend $1500 and put a cam with new valvetrain components, electric waterpump and you have a 350rwhp car that runs low 12's. Some of the popular cams were the CC306 and GM847 but there may be better grinds out there these days

juicedimpss
02-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Affordable and turbo are never two words you put next to each other. I'm sure some of the boosted guys will chime in.

If you are going to pay someone for quality fab work it's going to cost just as much as a kit probably. There is 4k easily. What about all of the supporting mods? Fuel system, built lower end, new rear.... Another 5-10k there.

IMO spend $1500 and put a cam with new valvetrain components, electric waterpump and you have a 350rwhp car that runs low 12's. Some of the popular cams were the CC306 and GM847 but there may be better grinds out there these days

i lol'd for sure,i was thinking this while reading his post.

if you are trying to do something "on the cheap" you may want to consider a simple nitrous kit. That will give most bang for the buck.
lt1 tuning and boost dont play real friendly together,its going to cost some $$ to make it right and stay together. I can fab a kit,but it would be on a time/materials basis. How long does it take? ill bet more than just a few hours.:thumbsup

GHOSST
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Dude seriously, take your time, do some research. Don't rush into this or you might waste some money. Things seriously get icy when total cost is involved.. :stare

95-1LE-Z28
06-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Found a used Procharger P600B Kit. It should be here in a couple of days and i plan on just upgrading the injectors to 42 or 60 lbs, a walbro 255 inline fuel pump and then running about 8lbs of boost. If i can hit 420hp with the kit, i'll be more than happy. I've been told tuning is the key so i might be using one of our BCM sponsors for the dyno tuning. Thanks to everybody for all the warnings about Turbos and LT1. I think this small procharger headunit and a good tune should make things easier on my stock internals. BTW, my car just hit 56k.

GTSLOW
06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Glad to here you found something :thumbsup

What do you have for a clutch in there? I've never head of a competinion clutch (rating)? Also how's the 10bolt doing?

95-1LE-Z28
06-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Glad to here you found something :thumbsup

What do you have for a clutch in there? I've never head of a competinion clutch (rating)? Also how's the 10bolt doing?
There were very good reviews for the competition clutch on LS1Tech and that's why I ended up getting it. The stage 2 is rated up to 550hp. With regards to the 10 bolt, I haven't had any problems yet. Who knows though, I might have start preparing for a 12 bolt, in case the procharger blows is up.