PDA

View Full Version : Solid Gold McDs being demolished

jbiscuit
10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.greenfieldnow.com/news/104838534.html

hrsp
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
the new ones have flat screens and fireplaces and shit...doesnt matter to me im a drive thru user

TheRX7Project
10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh snap... would that mean no more car show there? WE DID IT! YES WE CAN!

WI_Dave
10-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I havent been inside there in years but I would think it will do the same amount of business either way, so why spend the money? Unless of course they get rid of the car show then they will probably have less business at least 1 day a week. I have never heard someone say lets go to McD's because its nice inside, unless its 1 of a kind it is still just a fast food joint IMO.

PureSound15
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I havent been inside there in years but I would think it will do the same amount of business either way, so why spend the money? Unless of course they get rid of the car show then they will probably have less business at least 1 day a week. I have never heard someone say lets go to McD's because its nice inside, unless its 1 of a kind it is still just a fast food joint IMO.

Good point.

Origionally, fast food corporations specifically designed interiors of their stores to be uncomfortable physically and psychologically. The idea what to incorporate the right colors (red & yellow) to create hunger, have them order and eat but leave quickly.

Make them hungry - have them eat - make them uncomfortable so they leave so we can pile 500 people through the door in a day.

Hense the interiors being obnoxiously bright and tables and chairs being stiff and awkward.

It's interesting to me how that mantality has now switched. Perhaps another sector of their shift towards "healthier" options includes a comfortable interior.

pOrk
10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
That place is a wreck, see ya!

BoosTT
10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Same thing to the one in Delafield. Construction on the new one has already started.

Prince Valiant
10-14-2010, 01:41 PM
One of the primary reasons is that it'd be easier to rebuild a building rather than redesign and remodel within pre-existing confines of an old building.

So much is different from when that McD's was built...heck, they probably didn't even offer breakfast when that McD's was first built. Heck, back in those days, it was just build the burger and put it under the lights...now McD's is run is totally different.

But from kitchen configuration, storage, refrigeration, ease of restocking/taking in deliveries, ergonomics and efficiency of movement and completion of task, etc all figure in...how much can you do with a pre-existing space?

Then on top of that, after one does invest in just a remodel of the kitchen, you're left with an old, dark dining room that no matter how spotless, looks less inviting, if not dank and dirty compared to your more modern competitors...so of course you've got to remodel that too.

And then after all that remodeling, you're left with an old buildings with cramped bathrooms and all the maintenance issues that older buildings have.

Just to address all the issues of the kitchen and dining room it's properly only slightly more expensive to rebuild. Once you factor in maintenance and property/business value of the privately held franchise after rebuilding, it becomes a no brainer.

Feature Pony
10-14-2010, 01:51 PM
It would be cool if they did a 50's design like the one on hwy 100 and greenfield. I wonder if they will throw the items out or sell them?

Voodoo Chick
10-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I'll miss it, kind of. The car shows were cool, but they really diminished lately, and I really only go there out of loyalty to a few friends who support that particular car show. I think I'm going to "defect" over to Gus', however.

scaleracer
10-14-2010, 03:26 PM
It would be cool if they did a 50's design like the one on hwy 100 and greenfield. I wonder if they will throw the items out or sell them?

It does have alot of memories my dad and I have been going to car shows since I was born we haven't went to a car show there or in general in awhile. I would wonder also if they would get rid of the stuff I am in a picture on the wall from a car show years ago.

jbiscuit
10-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I too have a lot of memories there. From back in the day when even Chi Chi's lot was full every Wednesday night. So much has changed in recent years up there. I will be sad to see it go but all good things come to an end at some point. Solid Gold hasn't been the same to me since the recent ownership change anyways.

wrath
10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
It's sad when you can spend $2,000,000 on a shithole and serve shitty food... and still have positive cashflow.

Commercial buildings and homes built in the last ten years are basically designed as 20 year disappearing acts. I bet the Bielinski Homes you see all over the place will be teardowns in 30 years.

jbiscuit
10-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I bet the Bielinski Homes you see all over the place will be teardowns in 30 years.

Probably. Another reason to hold off buying a house in SE Wisconsin! :rolf :rolf

Rocket Power
10-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Probably. Another reason to hold off buying a house in SE Wisconsin! :rolf :rolf
:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

b4mytm
10-14-2010, 06:31 PM
It will be sad to see it go,but like J said it hasn't been the same since the new ownership anyways.
I remember when they were doing the construction to make it into Solid Gold. It was my hang out in High School and I even remember taking a tour in the 3rd grade there,lol

PB86MCSS
10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
I remember going to the car shows almost weekly back in 2000-2003 ish, but things in life change. Sounds like the last few years have been kind of weak compared to back then anyways and I really haven't gone to any cruise in's since that time frame. The last couple times I've driven past on a Wednesday evening in summer it looked dead compared to it's "heyday" when they'd turn back any car newer than 1981 or something unless you got there at like 5pm :goof .

Mudd Runner
10-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I remember going to the car shows almost weekly back in 2000-2003 ish, but things in life change. Sounds like the last few years have been kind of weak compared to back then anyways and I really haven't gone to any cruise in's since that time frame. The last couple times I've driven past on a Wednesday evening in summer it looked dead compared to it's "heyday" when they'd turn back any car newer than 1981 or something unless you got there at like 5pm :goof .

I worked at firestone in 03 i remember doin a big smokey burner in our lot with the shop van and Solid gold security came over and asked us to please stop so that the guys at the car show wouldnt do them.

lordairgtar
10-14-2010, 06:52 PM
From what I have heard, the memorabilia will be auctioned off to benefit some charity. Not absolutely sure on that. I do know that it's been going downhill since the sale. The new owner doesn't really care one way or the other how people feel about the style of the place. I'd like some of the art that I did that is in there. I know a guy who wants his license plates back.

PureSound15
10-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I was just thinking about how badass it would be to have an ugly porcelin Elvis statue in my living room that smelled like french fries and grease... Mmmm nom nom nom

Deggy
10-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Kinda sad to see this go, but Solid Gold McDonald's was my first real job when I was 15 and I worked there til I was 19ish. Haven't been inside recently but seeing the inside from the drive thru, I'd say its changed a lot. I wonder what they will do with all the memorabilia...

DiscountRamps.com
10-15-2010, 11:26 PM
It would be sad to see Solid Gold go away! I used to go there every wednesday. I havent been inside in years but Im sure alot of people will miss it.

awsomeears
10-16-2010, 12:38 AM
00-02 when I had my CBR were the days, that's when the whole crotch rocket crazy was going down IMO !!!

I remember rolling out of firestone with 50-75 bikes !!!

Nuts !!!

And I never bothered to take pictures of ANYTHING !!! :-/

jakedrew
10-16-2010, 08:45 PM
^ I remember all them bikes.

I used to go there every wednesday, it was a blast.

Al
10-17-2010, 12:16 AM
I have never heard someone say lets go to McD's because its nice inside, unless its 1 of a kind it is still just a fast food joint IMO.

I think that a building has a strong influence on a restaurant.

I use the McDonalds on Port Washington near Silver Spring. The old one sucked balls. It was dirty, poorly managed, and staffed with slackers. The kitchen was obviously dated to a time when "kaizen" was too foreign of a word to be mentioned in an American workplace.

Anyway, I felt the same about Solid Gold. Going there was interesting because of the memorabilia, but the place was dirty, the staff was not great and you would always bump into 35 people between walking in and leaving.

2 million dollars on a McDonalds is probably an investment from the management perspective. An improved layout is far more efficient than a the more traditional layout. The building probably conforms to new safety and accessibility standards too.

I bet there was a recent threshold where the management concluded that the most cost effective thing to do was knock down the old and build a new one.

TransAm12sec
10-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Can someone explain what happened with the car show?

I know the story as the DJ was told his services were no longer needed. So a show in ?Franklin? started every Wednesday night with the same DJ.

Reverend Cooper
10-17-2010, 06:21 AM
solid gold licked monkey nutz anyways

Rocket Power
10-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Can someone explain what happened with the car show?

They started letting new cars in and no one went anymore..:goof j/k

Voodoo Chick
10-17-2010, 12:01 PM
They started letting new cars in and no one went anymore..:goof j/k

From what I have heard from MANY people, that's kinda the truth. Plus, Gus' is bigger, and took all the cars away from McDonald's. I liked Solid Gold because it was about 3 minutes from where I live, but I think it's car shows are pretty much done for.