PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio peeps, who can do this?

GTSLOW
10-11-2010, 10:40 AM
This is what he posted if the link doesn't work:

Before I start, I would like to say that I accept no resposibility for your workmanship. If you are not confident with your abilities you might want to pass.

Note: I don't know if this overrides the bluetooth, I don't have bluetooth so I can't say for sure. It does override the radio and the CD input.

Just a few things you will need:

4- 4.7 polarized microfarad (uf) Capasitors
Good solder, and flux, use flux on all connections but the board.
22 or 24 gauge wire, length you decide? Enough for 5 runs from radio to jack location
shrink wrap big enough to go over the caps
5 pin connectors (optional) I ran a short pig tail out of the radio to ease further service.
5 pin stereo 1/8" jack, 3 conductor closed circuit, such as RadioShack P/N- 274-246

You will need a solder iron with a pretty small tip. A "Helping Hand", that thing with the allagator clips and a weighted base, about 12 bucks. It will make things alot easier. Radio removal tools, such as finishing nails.

Tools needed:

Soldering Iron with a small tip
Phillips screw driver
Stubby phillips screw driver
T-9 torx driver
T-10 torx driver
Small pick or pocket screw driver
Helping Hands (holding device) optional but very helpful
I think thats about it. I found a small torx bit driver at Home Depot with interchanging bits, starts at 15 and goes down to 4.

1. Remove center console top (cup holder). Remove the screw in the front under the ashtray. Pull up starting at the rear and work forward. Use care and pull close to the clips.

2. Remove the top center dash cover (black piece over the A/C vents)

3. Remove 4 scews from the top trim piece above the A/C vents. Stubby screw driver needed for the 2 on the top. I found that if you pull the trim piece and release the radio retainer springs at the same time the radio pops out easily.

Note: The radio holds the trim in place.

Radio disassembly:

1. Remove the four T-9 face plate scews. Use care, the wire pig tail is short, disconnect it.

2. Remove the 4 T-10 screws holding the C/D changer portion of the radio. With the front of the radio facing away, lift off the changer and tilt it to the left and set it on it's side. Push the locking tab on the wire tape connector to the left and carefully remove the wire tape.

3. Turn the receiver over and remove the 2 T-9 screws from the bottom cover and remove it. The circuit board will now be exposed, use caution not to scratch it. Also use care not to shock the board with static electricity.

4. From the top side locate the capacitors C1528 and C1529. Note the position of the stripe, this indicates polarity. Positive towards prossesor.

5. Set the radio on it's side and heat the capacitor wires enough to soften the solder and straighten the wires, use caution not to over heat anything. You may have to repeat several times to get them straight. Now heat them and pull 'em out. I used a piece of wire to suck up the excess solder.

6. Solder caps to the wire using flux to insure a good clean connection, the replacements I got had wires at each end and marked with an arrow indicating polarity. Use different color wire or mark them someway so you can determine which goes where ie. left and right and polarity. Trim the wire on the caps. down to about an inch. Solder 2wires to the positive end of 2 caps and 2 to the neg. end of 2 caps. You should now have 4 wires soldered to 4 caps.
* Wires should be aprox. 18" long, if you are going to use the 5 pin connector. If you are not using the connector make them as long as needed and feed enough through the radio holes, slots in the back of the radio, to allow you to work away from the radio internals.

7. Solder in the new caps. I don't recommend using flux on the board because the solder could run and cause a short. Work on one area at a time ie. C1528 or C1529.
*If you are not using the 5 pin connector slide enough shrink wrap over the wires to completely cover the caps. and the solder connections now.
Place one cap. in the hole closest to the prossesor with the arrow pointing down, pos. to board. The caps. should be about 1/2 inch off the board. Carefully solder it in place, remember to move the shrink wrap away from the heat. Place another in the other hole furthest from the prossesor with the arrow pointing up, neg. to board. Repeat for the other caps. If you have the front of the radio facing away from you the pos. will be on the left. After all 4 caps are in place, slide the shink wrap over the caps. and all the way down to the board and carefully heat it starting from the board and working up. This should ensure no wires short out after intall.

*If you are not using 5 pin connector skip step 8.

*8. Install connector. You should have all 4 caps. installed with shrink wrap insulating the caps/wires/connections. Feed the wires through the holes (slots) in the back of the radio. Cut wires equal length, aprox. 10-12 inches out of the back of the radio. install the terminals and slide them into the connector, I crimped and soldered them. Remember to note which wire is where.

9. Installing the 1/8" jack. Pin 5 goes to the positive side of the board, side closest to the prossesor C1529 via's. Pin 4 to neg C1529. Pin 2 to pos. C1528 via's. Pin 3 to neg. C1528. Pin 1 to ground. See post 191, but ignore the polarity of the caps.

10. Install the stereo jack and run the wire harness up and behind the A/C controls. Slide the radio into the center dash trim, feed the Aux in harness up through the hole in the top of the radio carrier and behind the A/C controls. Connect the Aux in harness and the hazard switch plug. Pull up lightly on the Aux in harness as you push the radio in so it doesn't get bunched up behind the radio. Fully seat the radio and check the fuction of the Aux in. If it doesn't work YOUR SCREWED. No seriously everything should be fine, if not recheck to make sure the I-pod plug is fully seated and the radio is set to tuner (AM FM).

11. Renstall trim pieces making sure everthing is connected properly.

NOTE: Your turn signals will not work unless the haz. switch is connected.
NOTE: The TC and door lock connectors are the same, I plugged mine in wrong and the doors locked when I pushed the TC switch.
NOTE: Remove the rubber tray liner in the front, under the ashtray, it makes it easier to reinstall the center console cover
NOTE: Don't forget to turn off the I-pod, it will not shut off automatically.

OK thats it.
I have more good pics, but they are too large, if any one needs them PM me.

Again thanks to dede for the mod, and all those that helped figure it out.

If you're still uncomfortable with this PM me, maybe we can work something out.

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album46/radio_009.sized.jpg
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album46/radio_013_vga.jpg
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album46/2007_11_06_1920_46.sized.jpg

Cryptic
10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
No where did you mention above WTF you are trying to do. You listed a bunch of steps to do what? I've soldered to circuit boards with smaller connections than that, but I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish.

Ricky Bobby
10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
wow FAIL no idea what ur trying to do or to what for that matter :rolf

GTSLOW
10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Lol sorry its pulling the stock radio out and putting in a aux input.

:rolf

BR3W CITY
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Any reason you REALLY want to avoid an aftermarket unit and go through this trouble?

nismodave
10-11-2010, 03:45 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple+-+SoundByte+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B+Conn ection+Kit+for+Select+Domestic+Vehicles+(Basic+Ins tall+Included)/9835512.p?id=1218181019930&skuId=9835512

Yooformula
10-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Any reason you REALLY want to avoid an aftermarket unit and go through this trouble?

to avoid having to purchase amps, new speakers and wiring if its a factory amped system. surprisingly alot of people prefer stock systems, less of an appeal to thieves.

lilws6
10-11-2010, 08:22 PM
less of an appeal to thieves.

this is why my girlfriend does not want a deck in the grand prix. stock sounds good but i've got a woofer i want to put in and i may have to try this to put aux ports on it

lilws6
10-11-2010, 08:23 PM
oh this is for an ipod jack nvm screw ipods :goof

GTSLOW
10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Ya I can't complain about the factory unit. Plus it's huge so I'd need a giant spacer unless I spent big $$ on a touch screen or something deck. I've got an FM/12v outlet style transmitter but it just doesn't sound that good.

GTSLOW
10-11-2010, 08:25 PM
oh this is for an ipod jack nvm screw ipods :goof

No lol it's just a 3.5mm jack for anything really. Mainly my driod2 w/ pandora.

lilws6
10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
well yea but most call them ipod jacks. i need sub output jacks. with out the ghetto wire into speaker wire crap

TransAm12sec
10-13-2010, 10:09 PM
to avoid having to purchase amps, new speakers and wiring if its a factory amped system. surprisingly alot of people prefer stock systems, less of an appeal to thieves.

haha, I remember having this conversation. Not stolen yet! I did loose the plastic knob to adjust stations though, oh well.

FoxStang
10-14-2010, 12:30 AM
haha, I remember having this conversation. Not stolen yet! I did loose the plastic knob to adjust stations though, oh well.
No worries Lance, nothing in your car to steal, not even an interior.